Home made tools! - Page 12
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Re: Home made tools!

wow more info on the cam grinder, that's craziness!

First let me clarify......this thing is risky. It will bite you and if you go down this path do so at your own risk!

This is actually for a 1902 Oldsmobile. There is a process in designing the cam and a process of making the cam. I was working with some different lift patterns. First I worked with Corel Draw and I wrote a program to calculate where the cam needed to be at different rotations (you can use Excel).

Assuming you know your shape, convert to vinyl graphic. Use vinyl as mask and paint the steel. Cut the steel close with hand held grinder.

Drill the hole in the center. The hole fits the shaft in the rig. The hunk of metal which is soon to be cam is set on the pole and you can go up and down with it. Move the grinder where it just touches and move up and down making small headway until you reach your paint marks.

That is really all there is to it, but

1. Wear a mask. Grinder dust bad.
    2. I use the thin grinder wheels (cut off wheels) from Harbor freight. I have used better wheel which last longer but the cheapies from HF actually cut better...as the wear down faster.
    3. Not just eye protection but face shield.
    4. Light fan. As you fine tune the cam, the metal partials get sooooooo small they float in the air and can still get in your eyes! Ask me how I know!
    5. Above all, as you go into the wheel, go slow and go lightly! If you go away from the wheel it kicks it away. Go into it very hard at all and you break a wheel, damage the cam and have to start over. If this happens count fingers!
    6. GO SLOW...Have patience or you will be starting over.
    7. Polish cam.

These two lobes are welded together. The small lobe is compression release for starting.

Plotting lift in Corel Draw or an autocad type program is easy. Lines are drawn at each angle. Your rocker arm is rotated to match with what ever mechanism is in contact with it. Each position is measured and determined, and adjusted. Cam lobe drawn from that. The location on the cam where it curves back in on this application is because the rocker arm wheel is so large. Nature of the beast:

that... is amazing. you are my new hero

[quote=gow589;427733]
    This is actually for a 1902 Oldsmobile. There is a process in designing the cam and a process of making the cam. I was working with some different lift patterns.

Let me get this straight . . . you're hotrodding a curved dash Olds? I like it!
    You're going to need some wider tires to handle all that horsepower.

Jim
    Dynasty 300DX
    Smith He/Ar gas mixer
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW5, AW1A

I am doing it for some one else but let me tell you......30mph on an 02 olds........You need motorcycle helmet and leathers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gow589 View Post
    I am doing it for some one else but let me tell you......30mph on an 02 olds........You need motorcycle helmet and leathers!!!!
    I can relate. I did 70 mph around the Milwaukee Mile as the riding mechanic in a Mercer Raceabout . . . no helmet, no belts,
    and the mechanic has no windscreen. The slip angle of the tires was clearly visible.

Dynasty 300DX
    Smith He/Ar gas mixer
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW5, AW1A

gow589, thanks for posting your simple cam grinder. I liked the vinyl transfer The results are awesome. Have you looked at this type of setup?
    http://modelenginenews.org/techniques/camgrind.html
    It used a master cam that controls the grinder feed which might speed up your operation.

Mercer Raceabout . . . no helmet, no belts,

That Mercer is cool! Cars like that really stand out from Model "T"'s and such!

Just a short note, back in 1900 these guys setting the stage for racing in the united states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...OldsPirate.jpg

The olds was a much smaller car then the Winton and was given a head start. The result was a close finish which got everyone excited. This race put Ormond Beach on the map for racing and the rest is history. Both Nascar and land speed racing grew from this.

In that time, as people started reaching 100mp, scientist were studying the effects of speed on humans. No one really know how going 100mph would effect the physiology of humans!!!

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Old...V-08_AI_02.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    gow589, thanks for posting your simple cam grinder. I liked the vinyl transfer The results are awesome. Have you looked at this type of setup?
    http://modelenginenews.org/techniques/camgrind.html
    It used a master cam that controls the grinder feed which might speed up your operation.
    That is very cool! Thanks for posting! I don't know if I will have to make another one or not. If I do I was actually thinking of laser cutting them in layers then welding them together..We'll see.

That is just an awesome little machine you've built. Way to go!!!!!
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Quick temporary circle cutter for the plasma. Two things happened. One I was running out of oxygen and completely butchered a latger circle earlier. Next I saw some center drops I thought I could squeeze some smaller yet circles out of. Plasma always has gas, right ?

Looked around the shop and found what was a ring affair left over from some long gone project, found a piece of 1/4" cold rolled that I let get chewed through the bench grinder, took the slide/thumb screw off my scribe, drilled a hole for a 1/8" roll pin in the bottom of the scribe slider and tapped in the roll pin.

Drill a 5/64ths hole in the piece to be cut and it rotates nice and easy. It came out a bit lower profile than I wanted so I grabbed a 1/4" tall left over slug off another ancient project as a spacer. Worked good enough for this task and one other.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Used it to cut two more circles out of some better material (still scraps) and it worked fine. Sloppy if you don't watch it but it works well enough that I'll probably make a more refined version when I get a chance. Taller center pivot, smoother ring for the torch, things like that. I never cut anything that's close to a tolerance fit anyway.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Something simple. Just modified an impact socket to act as a homemade weatherhead socket. Couldn't get any leverage with a pipe wrench. Ended up using a 3/4" impact gun on this and it still took a while.

Name:  1021101328a.jpg
Views: 28967
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  1021101328b.jpg
Views: 28950
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  1021101337a.jpg
Views: 28963
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  1021101523a.jpg
Views: 28944
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  1021101523c.jpg
Views: 28884
Size:  29.6 KB
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Here's what I do on my days off,I try to be productive(lol).I was just making a new burn barrel to burn trash and what-not and said there has got to be a better way to hold a cold chisel while punching holes in a 55 gallon barrel,here's what I came up with,a chisel holder.I used a bronze grounding clamp,handle off of a broken coping saw and a wing nut off of a boat deep cycle battery and a piece of all-thread about 2" long.I did have a nut where the wing nut is but if it comes loose the only way to tighten it is with a wrench,with the wing nut you can tighten by hand.First you turn the handle to tighten up on the chisel then you tighten the wing nut to keep it tight against the chisel,worked good so far.I punched about 20 holes with it and it didn't come loose from the chisel.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

That is a nifty little device dugndeep!!!! I like the handle. gives it a nice vintage look! Looking at my purple thumb and thinking I might need to make one!
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Not exactly a tool but I modified the trailer jack to move completely out of the way:

These pics aren't in order, all made from scrap metal. A set of skates in case I have to move my lathe, two smaller ones for one end, and a larger one for the other end which has a swivel top to help steer it. A stand for the band saw and also doubles up as my bash it stand when I need to whack something on it with a large hammer. A fishing line tensioner, for winding new line on overhead reels, there is a large greased leather washer between the spool holder and the frame to adjust the amount of drag. Red is the colour of the month, spray one thing and the rest get the same colour.
    Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 wire feeder
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by dugndeep View Post
    Here's what I do on my days off,I try to be productive(lol).I was just making a new burn barrel to burn trash and what-not and said there has got to be a better way to hold a cold chisel while punching holes in a 55 gallon barrel,here's what I came up with,a chisel holder.I used a bronze grounding clamp,handle off of a broken coping saw and a wing nut off of a boat deep cycle battery and a piece of all-thread about 2" long.I did have a nut where the wing nut is but if it comes loose the only way to tighten it is with a wrench,with the wing nut you can tighten by hand.First you turn the handle to tighten up on the chisel then you tighten the wing nut to keep it tight against the chisel,worked good so far.I punched about 20 holes with it and it didn't come loose from the chisel.
    Vice Grip makes a handy locking wrench in two sizes that is hands down the best device for holding a chisel, or in my case, steel letter & number stamps, that i've ever run across. I'm not talking about their normal locking grips. These are supposedly meant for rounded off fasteners & such. I've been using the 7 inch version for around 15 years almost daily & have yet to wear it out.

This is a tool I made for mounting motorcycle tires on a rim without scratching the wheel. I'ts not my design though, I just shamelessly copied it. but it didn't cost me anything to make & it works great.

It's the shank of the chisel that I am trying not to damage,I don't care about the tool that's doing the holding.I've used visegrips before trying to hold chisels and it tears the hell out of the shank which in turn when you have to use your hand to hold it makes it really rough on the hands.
    I got my ideal from harbor freight,I just copied one of their items,which in turn cost me nothing but a little time.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Like I said, i'm not talking about regular vice grips. I'm talking about their locking wrench, 7LW.here is a link of what i'm talking about.http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-t...cking-wrenches
    You did a good job on the tool you copied but those kinds of holders don't hold up very well. The threads fail in no time.

Everybody should go to the Irwin site because you can get free soft-pads and screws and springs to fix your vise-grips or just refurbish them,I got some free soft-pads coming.Got e-mail this morning saying they are on their way.

You can grind a little spot out on your chisel and the 5/16" all-thread acts as a set screw plus it keeps it from sliding up or down so it doesn't tear the chisel shaft up.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 11-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Ed- you need to go into production(lol),how much is shipping from Australia to U.S.A.

Plus I liked your off-set vise you made out of scrap.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 11-05-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Quote Originally Posted by dugndeep View Post
    Ed- you need to go into production(lol),how much is shipping from Australia to U.S.A.

Plus I liked your off-set vise you made out of scrap.
    Thanks Dugndeep, shipping to USA from Oz for anything heavy would cost more than an arm and a leg, To give you an example , a TIG cooler which weighs about 25kg would cost around $350-400 just to send from USA to Oz so I would assume it would cost about the same from us to you. As for production, I am retired now and just do this for fun and when I need/want to have something that I couldn't justify paying retail price for. That is assuming that it was even available to be bought That was the second vice I made, I am contemplating about building a third but it will be a smaller milling type vice with vertical and horizontal travel, either for the lathe or else mounting it to a bench, if I go for the bench model then I will also have to make a cross sliding router setup for it, ahh!! the project list never ends.
    Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 wire feeder
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw