Home made tools! - Page 19
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Re: Home made tools!

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSpeeder View Post
    Do you have a pic of the grinder set up on the lathe??
    Not tonight but I can get one tommorrow, works slick, now I just need to figure out where to get a 5/8 threaded nut to a 7/8 adapter so I can put a real 5" wheel on it.

I am eventually ( way down the list of projects ) going to make one out of a variable speed router, that will be very precision. Believe it or not though I am getting about 3-5 thousands on this setup. I just need a couple of different wheels, particularly a nice fine one. Once I am on a 7/8 inch arbor I will even be able to polish with this.

[ATTACH]78951[/ATTACH

]" Do you have a pic of the grinder set up on the lathe?? "

Sorry but I was having troubles yesterday logging in and couldn't post. Anyway here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Made me a new third hand today to hold down small parts to be welded. I know but I am trying something different then the run of the mill third hand, it works good to here are some pictures. What do you think rite
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

square jigs
    MM 180

I have made several large angle devices like that for projects (my teacher told me that all that trig would be usefull one day). Tha last was a 45 degree for laying out the frame for my English wheel. There is a large 90 degree leaning up against the table that you can only see the edge of also.

Name:  New wheel 010.jpg
Views: 23187
Size:  109.0 KB
    Cut an MGB and widened 11" C4 Corvette suspension and LT1 Chevrolet power & 6 spd. Pictures here:
    Part 1
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
    Part 2
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422

yeah, they were a pain to make initially though because I rushed them
    and always got a slight shrinkage.

I want to make a 3d one which would facilitate two horizontals pieces and a vertical all at 90
    MM 180

Lennyk, I have a large one somewhere that I made up years ago to help square walls. It goes together with bolts so it can fold for storage. It's like 3' x 4' x 5'. If you use bolts or counter sunk screws you can avoid shrinkage issues. It will also let you make adjustments for other angles like 45 deg if you build it right.

Not sure where it's hiding right now. I'll have to dig in the tall misc pile in the shop and see if it got tucked in next to the long lengths out of sight.

Fredschrom, Thanks for the pict. of the tool post grinder on the lathe. Saved it to my lathe files for later use.
    Last edited by DSW; 01-08-2012 at 05:34 PM.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    heres a home made pipe beveler...

don't want to flood this thread with pics, more are found here
    I see you do a lot of pipe welding ,if you think this fittings could help letme know

Thats a very interesting shop stool Mick120.... looks like it weighs a lot. lol

Hi Guys, I came to the forum to ask about a problem with my welder and found this thread and got totally side tracked.

Here is a picture of a belt grinder I made a few years ago. It will run two 2" by 72" simultaneously.

http://fredlyfx.com/Grinder/wide-shot-near-done.jpg

Here is a link to the whole building process that I documented on my web site: http://fredlyfx.com/grinder.htm

This is my forge built from a freon tank. http://fredlyfx.com/freon/5-minutes.jpg I have also documented how I have built several other forges on the site.

FredlyFX
    http://fredlyfx.com

Very nice Fredly... Have a friend that was talking about building a belt sander just the other day. He makes real armor and needs a special shaped belt sander to finish pieces on. I'll have to show him your build-up...

I just realized I spent the last hour looking at your projects and I was only skimming thru your pages... Nice gas forge BTW.

Thanks mudbug. Have your friend check out yahoo groups for a group called home built grinders. There are a bunch of examples there that make mine look like a pile of scrap metal.

FredlyFX
    http://fredlyfx.com

Needed to cut a bunch of 1" square tubing all the same length. Made this one night after work for my chop saw.

Yet another tool I've got more time into than what it's worth. Here's the kicker.....I don't really even have a use for it, but I couldn't resist a simple project.

It's for tying wire.
    My name's not Jim....

I made this for rebuilding shocks.. It's used to push the piston into the res. one end i turned threads on it to screw into the piston. might have went a little over board on the handle but hey it's going to be use alot might as well take some pride in it.
    SIN CITY METAL WORKS
    visit my YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/devvon

Quote Originally Posted by jdh239 View Post
    The TREX on my deck failed, so I am replacing it; however, a couple of years ago I had a pergola placed on the deck, and I knew this would be a pain. I had to disassemble the railings and lift the pergola off of the deck (about 1 ft), remove the underlying structures (for the pergola, not the deck), replace the trex, then reassemble everything.

In the process I needed a way to undo the bolts from the posts on the railing. I created the following contraption that allowed me to place a socket on the end to reach down through the posts and remove the nuts to disassemble/reassemble the railings. Came in quite handy.

Found the drill wasn't strong enough for me, so I added the handles (looks like a cross now) so that I could torque the nuts back down. Worked perfectly. I was very happy with the results.

How the Heck does "Trex"... 'fail'??

Looked like a big job....
    Miller Diversion 165
    120 amp Buzz Box
    Victor Oxy/Ace Oxy/LPG
    Smith "Little" Oxy/LPG
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Lot's of Misc. tools n' crap....

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    How the Heck does "Trex"... 'fail'??

Looked like a big job....
    It was part of a bad batch that came out of one of the plants. Within a year or two it started disintegrating and swelling. Started turning into powder.

Took me 4 days to replace it (because I had a pergola on top of the deck I had to work around).
    The Lord has declared, "This is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" Moses 1:39
    Link: My name is John, and I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

A friend had the trex on their deck fail, Trex would only pay for materials not workmanship. Ended up costing him around 7 grand out of pocket.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
    A friend had the trex on their deck fail, Trex would only pay for materials not workmanship. Ended up costing him around 7 grand out of pocket.
    They wont even pay for the replacement screws. I was lucky. I got an offer from Trex. I priced it out with Home Depot and found they were 700-1000 short. I let them know and they sent me a check for the higher amount.

When I went to home depot to purchase the replacement trex, they were having a 15 percent off sale. I was able to take the money I saved and put it toward screws and other materials I needed to redo the deck.

It still took me 4 days to replace it (I did all of the labor and had some help from a friend), but at least it is done now.
    The Lord has declared, "This is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" Moses 1:39
    Link: My name is John, and I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Home made table and small metal brake all made from scrap...

...and a homemade tractor cab made mostly from scrap. (hence my username)

Last edited by scrapwelder; 03-06-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Homemade Miller Matic 252 MIG dual cylinder rack and torch holder.

Homemade motorcycle lift made from scrap and an old wheelchair lift that wasn't working when I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Yet another tool I've got more time into than what it's worth. Here's the kicker.....I don't really even have a use for it, but I couldn't resist a simple project.

It's for tying wire.
    Interesting tool not jim, there used to be a tool that was used to be a poor mans banding machine. Is this similar?

Or is it a safety wire tool like lock wire pliers? Maybe we could get a peek of its use?

Looks good though, nicely finished.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Maguire View Post
    Interesting tool not jim, there used to be a tool that was used to be a poor mans banding machine. Is this similar?

Or is it a safety wire tool like lock wire pliers? Maybe we could get a peek of its use?

Looks good though, nicely finished.

Matt
    Yeah show us how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    Yeah show us how it works.
    I bought one of these from a SEMA exhibitor, very slick tool. Here is their web site with pictures
    http://www.clamptool.com/pages/how2.html
    Cut an MGB and widened 11" C4 Corvette suspension and LT1 Chevrolet power & 6 spd. Pictures here:
    Part 1
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
    Part 2
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422