Home made tools! - Page 39
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Re: Home made tools!

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    For they guys that can't figure out how to load pics, there is a post in the sticky files … https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...post-a-picture

My biggest Easy Out was 5/8 and I needed one for a piece of 1" tubing, so I ground this one out of some old 7/8" PTO shaft... harder steel than your typical black iron. I wish I had lengthened the threaded part (it is left hand, I think the pic got flipped somehow) for more metal to metal contact. Basically looked at a commercial extractor and tried to duplicate the look with a 4 1/2" hand grinder and a die grinder with a hummer disc.

Attachment 1697762
    got a question for you, if you heat treated the steel, cherry red and quenched wouldnt that harden it up alot more than what it started out as?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    got a question for you, if you heat treated the steel, cherry red and quenched wouldnt that harden it up alot more than what it started out as?
    I think you will find that it depends on the chemistry of the steel. For an easy-out case hardening could be a better solution anyway as it would be more likely to retain its toughness without getting so brittle throughout that it would shatter.
    ---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I think you will find that it depends on the chemistry of the steel. For an easy-out case hardening could be a better solution anyway as it would be more likely to retain its toughness without getting so brittle throughout that it would shatter.
    how about tempering after hardening, seems most of the easyouts ive used just liked to crack off and leave the end wedged in the bolt..lol.... now i just go to the welding a nut n washer method...

At 7/8" this is a lot bigger than most easy outs you would typically use so I haven't put enough force on it yet to break it... that would take a good length of pipe on the wrench. The problem I had trying to remove unthreaded pipe was that when you got enough bite, it was basically riveting the pipe tighter and with no threads, there was no reason for it to come up even if you could turn it. Like I said, it was shaft material not regular black iron so it is fairly hard... I would think any heat treating would just make it more brittle and prone to breakage, but that being said, I didn't try it.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 03-01-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

how about tempering after hardening, seems most of the easyouts ive used just liked to crack off and leave the end wedged in the bolt..lol.... now i just go to the welding a nut n washer method...
    I also have broken my fair share of "easy-outs".

Not a homemade tool but I have a set of these type of tools for removing broken pipe stubs and driving short nipples. Mine are black. Nothing like the right tool for the job.
    https://www.plumbingsupplynow.com/to...nt=Catch%20All

The other method I have used down to about 1/2" pipe is to weld a bead around the inside circumference of the broken pipe, like you do with a bearing race to shrink it in and then use an easy-out. Just don't get the amps too high and weld through the thread, then you're really knackered.
    ---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I also have broken my fair share of "easy-outs".

Not a homemade tool but I have a set of these type of tools for removing broken pipe stubs and driving short nipples. Mine are black. Nothing like the right tool for the job.
    https://www.plumbingsupplynow.com/to...nt=Catch%20All

The other method I have used down to about 1/2" pipe is to weld a bead around the inside circumference of the broken pipe, like you do with a bearing race to shrink it in and then use an easy-out. Just don't get the amps too high and weld through the thread, then you're really knackered.
    to get the threaded part of a broken pipe or nipple i will cut a slice with a sawsall through the broken piece and then collapse it in with a chisel and it usually just falls out or you can easily spin it out with a big screw driver, this works for threaded bushings or anything threaded into anything, just be careful not to cut into the threads on the parent item..but even then some teflon tape and sealant will fix that..

Well, this wasn't threaded, and to complicate matters, it was buried in 6" of curling ice, so adding any kind of heat was not an option. When my home made easy out didn't work (in it's defence it only 'failed" with 4 ft of pipe on it, and the problem was cutting the metal out of the pipe, not breakage) I resorted to threading the inside of the pipe for a 7/8" bolt. This was plan C trying to pry the bolt straight up with 2 wrecking bars. Didn't work... and I have to say I'm a little thankful since the bolt had only one place to go when I stood one one bar and pushed down with my hands on the other...Name:  DSCN4232.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  58.1 KB

Plan D involved drilling boards and trying to use the bolt to lift the tubing out of the ice.
    Name:  DSCN4233.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  85.4 KB

I'm thinking a 7/8" bolt (regular thread) with a 4ft bar twisting on it probably exerts somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 ton tension, and that didn't move it either, so at this point I'm not feeling too bad about my Easy Out. Plan E involved putting a large bolt into the center of the broken tubing and leaving it until spring. When the ice melts I'll cut everything apart and weld on new tubing.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 03-01-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Made this jig for sharpening drill bits on the belt sander
    Name:  1mDrillbitjigImage 447a.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  255.0 KBName:  1mDrillbitjigImage 448a.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  179.1 KB
    Name:  1mDrillbitjigImage 449a.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  99.0 KBName:  1mDrillbitjigImage 450a.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  155.7 KB
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

I wanted a mission and for my sins, they gave me one. - Captain Benjamin L. Willard

Very nice TiggaToo, drill bit sharpening saves not only money but your A$$ when it's 1 am and your deadline is due in the morning. Small bits are where a jig like that really shines, hard to beat the satisfaction of seeing equal chip curls coming off a bit you just sharpened to better than new.

to get the threaded part of a broken pipe or nipple i will cut a slice with a sawsall through the broken piece and then collapse it in with a chisel and it usually just falls out or you can easily spin it out with a big screw driver, this works for threaded bushings or anything threaded into anything, just be careful not to cut into the threads on the parent item..but even then some teflon tape and sealant will fix that..
    That was my favorite method .