Fresh Air: Pneumatic Tools, Built in USA
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fresh Air: Pneumatic Tools, Built in USA

Have a burning desire towards sourcing, buying, and using high-quality 'Made in the USA' products. As such, am interested in feedback from users of USA built pneumatic tools for the metalworking and welding industry. Work, home, shop, field. Open book.

To frame the discussion and best capture objective data and subjective comments, would appreciate input in a notional format:

* Manufacturer -
    * Tool Category/Nomenclature -
    * Specifications -

* Industry/Application -
    * Usage Frequency -
    * Year Purchased/Retired, New/Pre-Owned -
    * Purchase Price -

* Performance (1 to 5) -
    * Build Quality (1 to 5) -
    * Cost Value (1 to 5) -
    * Customer Service -
    * Pros -
    * Cons -
    * Other -

As always, images of the tool are helpful for context.

> Partial listing, not inclusive, of USA manufacturers of air tools: ATSCO (Mentor, OH), Cleco/Dotco/Apex (Lexington, SC+), Coilhose Pneumatics (East Brunswick, NJ), CS Unitec (Norwalk, CA), Dynabrade (Clarence, NY), Patco (Orion, MI), Proto (Conyen, GA), Sioux/Snap-On (Murphy, NC+), S&H/Viking (Cleveland, OH), SteelMax (Englewood, CO), St Louis Pneumatic (Fenton, MO), TX Pneumatic (Reagan, TX+).

** Disclaimer: have no professional/personal association with any of the above manufacturers. Also, have not verified the aforementioned tooling is 100% built in the USA **

Thanks in advance for your time and input. Please add to the above listing of USA Built pneumatic tool companies.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Re: Fresh Air: Pneumatic Tools, Built in USA

http://www.tcservice.com/products.html
    I use their horizontal and vertical grinders at work, they are truly bad a##!
    IAMAW Local 330
    Airco 300 AC/DC Heliwelder
    Airco Dip-Pak 200 with Profax spool gun
    Powr-Kraft AC225
    Everlast PowerArc 200st
    Buffalo Forge No.21 drill press
    Speedglas 9100xx
    Airco, Oxweld, Purox, Victor torches
    Lincoln Ranger 8

I went to steelmax in Denver last month for some accessories for my saw, it should be noted that these products are made in China!
    Also anything from Snap-on labeled Blue-Point is not made by Snap-on, but rather outsourced and/or rebranded. Often it's Made in China too
    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 02-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

IR but you have to check each model where they are made.

Good launch. Keep it alive.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Recently scored a pre-owned, old school, mint condition, mini angle grinder (2700 series, 1/4" collet, 0.4 Hp, 23k RPM) built by Universal Tool (Jupiter, FL) for $10. Set her up with a depth-limited cutoff wheel for a current fabrication project. She's solid, runs smooth, and will see plenty of future use.

Procured a NIB Desco (Rancho Santo Margarita, CA) 7" RAS16 Sander off CL for $75. Package included 2ea inline filters with hose, wrenches, sparing, and parts list. No dust shroud. 4k RPM. The tool is well made and moves out quickly and smoothly. Need to learn more about the tool and score some pads for swirl apps.

Interested in hearing from anyone who runs an RAS16 or similar.

BluePoint may be outsourced, but that doesn't mean the quality is lacking. I've got a 1/2" impact and a 10" angle grinder that are both over 30 yrs old and still working fine. There's only one thing I've never done with a SnapOn tool, and that's throw it out. I've lost them, broke them and abused them, but I've never thrown one out. For a random orbital sander, Souix is hard to beat. The one I have is closer to 40 yrs old and it's seen a lot of work.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 07-02-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

The first pic needs no xplanation IMHO. Paid $700 used (barely) with original consumables plus two five pack's xtra consumables and a circle cutter. Used last Sunday to cut bolts from a bumper. Ive also used it to wash out broken bolts on two welders when the weld a nut wouldnt work. I dont use it enuf. Never used the circle cutter yet. Bought around two years ago and thought it was inverter but its to heavy to be an inverter. Thats a good thing tho.

The second pic is Snap On and the Craftsman chisel in pic is for scale comparison

Snap on
    Chisel
    Spec ?

Industry is for Mechanic's I think but I used it on welder carb gasket and it removes metal if not careful. Hope that counts
    Used once
    Purchased used around 1992 like new
    $40 I think

perfom 5
    build 5
    value 5
    Cust' service its a Snap On
    pro it works good
    con it works to good
    other I like wood chisels for gaskets but this did what the wood chisel couldnt including remove metal if not careful
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Insaneride; 07-02-2014 at 01:14 AM.

Hutchings board sanders were the standard of the autobody industry when I was in it, late 70's, but I think in many shops they still are. Very good quality.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

If it costs more than $400 it's probably US made. Yeah, IR has some really nice US made tools for close to $1000 but for things more affordable to the normal joe I use Texas Pneumatics for my needle scalers. Not so good for production work but hey hold up for at least 6 months with heavy use.

Quote Originally Posted by 76GMC1500 View Post
    If it costs more than $400 it's probably US made. Yeah, IR has some really nice US made tools for close to $1000 but for things more affordable to the normal joe I use Texas Pneumatics for my needle scalers. Not so good for production work but hey hold up for at least 6 months with heavy use.
    Is this one you would recommend?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Texas-Pneu...item1e8dc9f766

Trading options for scoring an aircraft-quality 3x rivet gun kit. Down selection is between a Sioux and a UTASCO. The Sioux is made in USA, believe the UTASCO is same. Read the Sioux's trigger edges the competition with its fine control capability (trigger "teasing"). The gun will be used mainly for sheet metal work and art projects.

Appreciate any feedback on either gun from end users. Mahalo.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Mano asked me if I could stick this to generate some conversation on it.

Done.
    and done well. thx for this.
    How do you know the blacksmith's dog? When you hollar at him he makes a bolt for the door!

Early Christmas present from my bride. Dotco 12LF200-36 Right Angle Grinder. Made in USA. Sourced NIB from eBay for $200. A steal. We had no idea the package would include all of the accessories. Stoked! Completed a quick check out of the grinder. Strong, quiet, and smooooooth. Will post an in depth review of the item after some run time.

Looking forward to teaming with the Dotco a lot this year

Nice grinder

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Superior pneumatic's air hammers and needle scaler's made in USA .I haven't check all there tools but their web site says made in usa. I only had the Bully scaler/hammer combo. Just gave it to my son.

3D animation of air tool motor from Desoutter:

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    Early Christmas present from my bride. Dotco 12LF200-36 Right Angle Grinder. Made in USA. Sourced NIB from eBay for $200. A steal. We had no idea the package would include all of the accessories. Stoked! Completed a quick check out of the grinder. Strong, quiet, and smooooooth. Will post an in depth review of the item after some run time.

Looking forward to teaming with the Dotco a lot this year
    I have one of those Dotco's. It is nice to have a little less rpm than commonly found in these tools. I don't know that it is really needed as even cheap air tools have a long life but then again I never measured deterioration of performance either. Big money air tools get a pre filter round here.

Soiux is a division of Snap on these days. I had an old corded angle drill from Sioux. Loved the thing.

Last edited by mikecwik; 12-14-2014 at 10:11 AM.

If a guy notices I have valve stem caps on the inlets of my tools.

I am not even making this up. Our weld department thinks its clever to hang their air tools with the inlets up and shower sparks on top of them.

The other day I asked a guy cutting with O/A with the hoses under what he was cutting if he was concerned with the hoses. No, he said they won't blow up. Same guy showering the o/a rig with sparks from the grinder. I am just trolling here.

Procured a pre-owned Sioux palm air drill (Model DR1412) to aid in aircraft solid rivet applications. Made in USA. No chuck key included. Arrgh! Tried a 1/4" chuck from Fastenal. No joy. The Sioux key looks ovalish is cross-section. Sourced several sites to buy a new chuck key (Sioux P/N 30202), but the S/H is like 2x the cost of the part.

If anyone has a spare "30202" willing to sell, please PM me. Mahalo

Got it. Cross-referenced the Yukiwa chuck on the Sioux and determined a Jacob's K7 chuck (7/32") was equivalent. Back in business. Time to drill.....

IRT post #16, acquired a sweet deal on a factory new USATCO 3X Rivet Gun Kit. All items Made in USA, 'cept the gun. Time to score some AN470 (universal, round head) & AN426 (countersunk head) rivets and get busy on a few Aluminum projects. Awaiting receipt of a pre-owned Sioux 270A-2 2X Gun (Made in NC, USA) to complement the load out.

Riveting ...your supposed to be a weldor there rosie

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck