Welding Tin Cans... - Page 19
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Re: Welding Tin Cans...

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    I may as well pack my tools up, huh?
    denrep,

If you can weld 1/2 inch solid aluminum bar stock to an aluminum soda can (which is about 5 thou thick, give or take a thou or so depending on brand) then post it up man!

It's all good.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Yeah, it's solid round stock... Nothing special about the can, I pulled it outa the trash, buffed some of the paint off of it, bent the handle and welded it together. Didnt bother to clean the pop out, but it smelled okay while I was welding.
    on my Syncrowave 350LX, 150 Amps, Pulser on: 50%A BKGND, 10hz FREQ Pulse, 70% Peaktime
    I guess the trick is to keep your arc aimed mostly at either your filler rod or the handle. Once things get flowing, start stuffing rod and feathering heat twards the can, but not without filler rod in the way, or you'll blow holes everytime. I'll try it again without the pulser on when I have more time. I think I can pull it off with the same technique. Oh yeah, there was crap in the folded over top edge that prevented me from getting a weld on it. Not sure how to address that issue.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.

Thanks for the set-up. I'll look foreward to the results without the pulser. The goop in the top edge must be a sealant. I've tried to weld the top ends together, thinking it would be thicker or have more mass. That didn't work, the AC can only clean so much.

Just a hobby guy, but I didn't know any of the Syncrowaves have adjustable HZ.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Hello Again to All...

BRAINFARTH... I'm COMPLETELY AMAZED !!! That TIG science has me baffled on how well it works; but as some of the guys said, we want/need more details. We may not be able to do the same job; but it would add to our mutual knowledge base. Thank You !

Regards,

Ed VA

Last edited by Magnetic Mechanic; 04-20-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: movie wont play
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

Say guys,

I got the inside scoop on Brainfarth's setup on the can welding (want to hear the secrets???)

I covertly took the harley down to his shop (nice 1.5hr ride) and asked him to show me some technique,
    • prepare the clean room
    • bust off the old tungsten-reball
    • look at the pretty blue Miller (decide it is set close enough)
    • take a shovel and move some more scrap out da way
    • set-up the can
    • clean enough to remove the label
    • clean the ends of the round stock
    • WELD IT UP--
    • LOOK AT ME--practice Son, Practice!

No really I didn't see him weld up the cans but I did see them first hand, and I can affirm Brainfarth can weld!! ---inspiration to the rest of us
    A rich man is not the one who has the most but instead one who needs the
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Dynasty 200dx (new in Dec 08)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Hello and Congratulations to Any and All writers on this old post.

I just got curious as to the "Survivability" of this post as it was the longest post EVER back 5 whole years ago; and amazingly... It Still Is !!!

I no longer have the time to play with my old Lincoln. I have had to provide 24/7 care for my wife after her stroke and Alzheimer's; but I still dream of my projects from back
    then.

I hope this post finds you all in good health !

Best Wishes...

edv7028

August 28, 2014

edv7028,
    I feel for you. Been there and done that about 14 years ago. God bless her but also you in particularly heavy doses.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Hello & Thank You Storeman...

It has been a long row to hoe; and I'm still visiting her everyday in the nursing home just to make sure she is being taken care of properly. As for myself, I'm dealing with some mixture of guilt for "Moving On"; and Caring for her remnants of a life. Anyway... Thank You !

edv7028

Makes me proud to be an American if only Brainfarth ran the whole shebang ! What a GENIUS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    FarmerSam,

What did you spill on that Keyboard?? I am amazed it still works! By the way I think we got the same table! (I would give you some more Dog food cans but my stupid little rat dogs won't eat anything but fast food from the fridge!!! My newest one now thinks he owns the shop too! came out, jumped on the welding table and peed on my scrap aluminum (what is a guy to do)

Tim
    I have a cookbook: 101 ways to wok your dog.

Okay.. I just responded a second ago but It hung and my text disappeared. ..First time for that sort of thing..
    It was a tickle to see this thread appear again. And thankyou for the cudos. Also, I'm sorry for hearing what you have been through. I'm sure that a few of use have had the unfortunate times of dealing with similar situations. Stay strong and god speed.
    Also; speaking of old.. I've been here for 11 ficken' years and I dont even have a T-shirt. I'm an XL-by the way.
    I felt so guilty about not posting enough, I had to start another thread in projects.
    Did I ever mention that I love this site?
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.