making a tube bending die - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Northwestern Wisconsin, 30 minutes east of st. paul, MN

Re: making a tube bending die

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I think you did an alright job here, Not bad and yes, I don't see why it wouldn't do the job some tube benders even use Wooden dies for tube but if you wish to listen to the strength issues otherwise, well just fill the guts of it up with fiberglass or something. That would make it a solid die
    Hah, this stuff is pretty old now, but it seems interesting : ).

Here is a die I made using a large piece of 8620. Machined the entire thing. Is for 1.25" tube. has a 4" CLR. I made a die set for a roll bender I am slowly building. The smaller die on the lathe is one of three identical ones for the roll bender.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Man, you guys are awesome.
    Working on cars and bikes is my hobby, learning to weld the pieces together is my quest.

I was asked by someone to explain how I made the die.

If you look at the pic with the lathe, you will notice a tool mounted on the quick change tool post that has a handwheel. I made this tool to cut concave radii. It is basically a vertical shaft with a carbide cutting bit in it that is adjustable in and out which is what determines radius. The handwheel is directly connected to the shaft and you manually turn the wheel which in turn turns the carbide cutter, thus producing a concave cut.

I made the tool I am referring to. I also made a very nice ball turning tool cutter. Entirely constructed of CRS and utilizes tapered bearings/races. It is made specific to my Nardini Lathe. It seats in place of the tool post in the T slot. It will cut up to a 3" ball effortlessly. Very rigid design. I can get pics of it if anyone is interested. It may take a day or so.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I was asked by someone to explain how I made the die.

If you look at the pic with the lathe, you will notice a tool mounted on the quick change tool post that has a handwheel. I made this tool to cut concave radii. It is basically a vertical shaft with a carbide cutting bit in it that is adjustable in and out which is what determines radius. The handwheel is directly connected to the shaft and you manually turn the wheel which in turn turns the carbide cutter, thus producing a concave cut.

I made the tool I am referring to. I also made a very nice ball turning tool cutter. Entirely constructed of CRS and utilizes tapered bearings/races. It is made specific to my Nardini Lathe. It seats in place of the tool post in the T slot. It will cut up to a 3" ball effortlessly. Very rigid design. I can get pics of it if anyone is interested. It may take a day or so.

Grant
    I would love to see some pics of the tool you made to do radius dies. I have been looking for a lathe and one of the things I want it for was making dies. I plan on making a tube bender and also am thinking of making an exhaust pipe bender, both need a bunch of dies that are expensive to buy! Any info you can share about making dies or pics of your tool would be much appreciated. Thanks, Scott

There is a lot of work that goes into making a bender and dies. There really is NO cheap way to do it right. If you have access to CNC machines, this is the best bet. If you have nothing but time, go for it.

Hopefully these pics are small enough to load in here. They were taken with my phone awhile back.

In the one pic you will see a blurry close up of the small piece of carbide in the shaft. There are set screws on each side of the shaft that hold the carbide in place. Adjusting this carbide in and out determines the radius of the cut.

The entire tool was made to take on and off quickly with the quick change tool post on my lathe, It uses a standard BXA dovetail dimensions.

You need to understand that THIS tool in these pics ONLY cuts a concave radius and NOT a convex (ball). I have another tool I built for ball turning. I also have a MONSTER Holdridge Radii Cutter model 12D that will allow me to turn radius both concave and convex up to 12"!!!!! Barely fits on my lathe it is so honkin' big!

I am not sure if I mentioned this or not, the die you see mounted on the lathe was NOT for the JD2 die. It was one of three identical ones I made for a roll bender I am designing. The bore of the die accepts a 50mm shaft! Bearings that the shafts ride on are rated at over 17tons each!
    Should be able to bend tube with ease. I am going to have a 5hp 3ph motor driving a Boston Gear Reducer and electro/hydraulic ram to adjust center die up/down which is what determines bend radius. I should be able to get bends from 18" diameter to infinity (in theory).
    Again, this project is on the back burner. I machined the 1" plates and bored them for the bearings, but it is on hold for now!

Grant

p.s. Here are those pics of the roll bender from a while back. Pics are me boring the 1" plate with amassive Chandler-Duplex boring head. Bearings are 110mm OD and have a 50mm bore.

That is a really neat idea, thanks for sharing and the pics. I've been looking for a lathe so as soon as I pick one up I will start making something similar to make dies. Thanks again

Hey guys great photos from everyone! Im in Australia and was considering buying a JD Bender but wanted to know from you guys if anyone has had trouble bending 4130 CrMo in it. As I would imagine it would be quite difficult to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Weldworx View Post
    Hey guys great photos from everyone! Im in Australia and was considering buying a JD Bender but wanted to know from you guys if anyone has had trouble bending 4130 CrMo in it. As I would imagine it would be quite difficult to do?
    Don't bend much chromo, but when I have, I have not had any trouble with it. If you are using a bending program, you will need to definately factor in springback! If you have specific questions, you can contact JD2 direct or sign up over on offroadfabnet.com and ask the question in their "Bender" forum.

Grant
    http://jackalopefab.com/
    MM210
    Synchrowave 200DX
    Miller XMT350 w/60series feeder
    Miller Bobcat 250 with SGA 100 and spoolgun
    HTP Plasma
    Full Machine shop with everything