Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Fork lift question...

Gasoline 120,000 BTU/gal
    #2 fuel (diesel) 139,000 BTU/gal.

15.833333333333333333333% more

Am I missing something? My mind?

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

SO the newer cars MAY even should get better mileage from higher octane gas.

Gas a - (lo octane) has a density of .74 as compared to gas c - (high octane) density .68. You can't get more mileage from less fuel. Although I will concede that knock sensor equipped engines will get better mileage on hi test than non knock sensor equipped engines.

It has always been my policy to use the manufacturer recommended fuel.

Diesel fuel has less BTUs per pound, BUT more pounds per gallon, so it has more BTUs per gallon. If that were true then diesel would have a lower specific gravity than gasoline.

.82 vs .74 in chart above.

As Nitesky says:
    "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
    Last edited by Magnetic Mechanic; 03-13-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

Diesel fuel has less BTUs per pound

OK -Brain fart on my part. I've been doing the math and depending on who's numbers you use this statement is correct 50% of the time.

I have a "DIESEL ENGINEERING HANDBOOK" that I feel confident has good info on diesel fuel. Anyone out there have good numbers for gas?
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

The main thing that originally drew me to diesel as a youngin was the SIMPLICITY! the efficiency is another benefit that I have enjoyed over the years. Ad a turbo and that its an efficiency multiplier

Also diesels will not overheat at idle only under very odd circumstances they had TOURQUE to do work not Horsepower to show off.

As long as they would start and run first thing in the morning and they had fuel in them they would run till you cut of the fuel or closed the intake.

Unfortunately these new DPF' equipped electronic diesels make me want to go back to my arch enemy the ignition spark.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

OK, back to the non-diesel fork lift, shall we? Might as well talk about solar power as diesel on this thread.

Any new developements?
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Take the air cleaner off, and put your hand over the carb throat. Partially block the intake, and if it runs better when you rev it up, it's the carb.

Run it at hight speed and disconnect the vac line to the distributor. If the engine slows down, the vac advance is working properly.

Check the dwell angle. If it fluctuates it's the dist. shaft

I don't know of much else that can go wrong on the old non computer motors.

Valve timing maybe, but it wouldn't start too good and constantly backfire
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

I haven;t had much time to play with it anymore. We did use it to unload a steel truck the other day, and to move a few things. When we get thru with our current job I will put the new wires on it and repack the leaking til cylinder, and tinker with it some more. Here are a couple pics.

Name:  lift.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  lift2.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  lift3.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  48.7 KB
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

from Timber Country to the Golden Triangle

I hate to get off subject again but just thought i'd throw this out there for trivia sake . . . most if not all newer vehicles actual have several fuel/timing maps for different grades of fuel.

Hope everything works out Hammack
    Mike
    Constans Fides et Integritas
    Lincoln Weldanpower 150 AC
    Airco Aircomatic MIGet CAV II w/ spoolgun
    Millermatic 30a wirefeeder

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread but I have the exact same forklift with a Nissan engine. Seems to run fine on LPG (gas) but not on gasoline (petrol). I took the car by off - cleaned out all the ports and float, etc. Reinstalled it today. It will only run (kind of) when I cover the air intake - more specifically the two impact tubes. I'm guessing this means there's an air leak of some sort in the car by? Do any of you car by experts have any advice?? Thanks!

My apple iPad decided to replace "carby" with "car" in the above post. Sorry. Hope it makes a little more sense now

Quote Originally Posted by Flier View Post
    Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread but I have the exact same forklift with a Nissan engine. Seems to run fine on LPG (gas) but not on gasoline (petrol). I took the car by off - cleaned out all the ports and float, etc. Reinstalled it today. It will only run (kind of) when I cover the air intake - more specifically the two impact tubes. I'm guessing this means there's an air leak of some sort in the car by? Do any of you car by experts have any advice?? Thanks!
    What are "impact tubes"? I am not familiar with that term.
    Restricting the air intake essentially means that you are "choking' the fuel mixture, in another words, you are creating an artificially "rich" fuel condition, which would be compensating for an actual "lean" fuel condition, most likely caused by a "manifold vacuum" leak, which is simply a mechanical term used to describe a vacuum leak occuring when the carb/intake throttle is closed, as opposed to a "ported vacuum" leak which occurs after the throttle plate is open. A "manifold vacuum" leak does not have to be in the "manifold", it just needs to occur anywhere between the closed throttle plate & the combustion chamber...

hope this helps you out...
    -at the job-
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    MillerMatic 250
    Millermatic 350
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Lincoln AC225
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    -at home-
    Everlast PP256
    Longevity WeldAll 256PI