brake drum forge build
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

brake drum forge build

This how far I'm on my brake drum forge. Today I put the trash door on and the feet. I still have to build the deck and wind screen and hook up the lectric.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: brake drum forge build

Very cool and creative.
    Great job.

Looks good. We are having trouble buying blacksmith quality coal in CA any more. Do yo wet your coal down to "coke" it before using it? That seems to be Ca's problem, because of the smoke it emits.

Quote Originally Posted by sqznby View Post
    Very cool and creative.
    Great job.
    Thanks sqznby..

Eventually I want to build some 3 1/4" wide 12" high steel wheels for the back so I can move it around the shop and outside in the dirt.
    Last edited by tackit; 06-29-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Interesting concept. I'd like to see it finished & a first hand account of how well it works. Good job.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Quote Originally Posted by gizzardgutz View Post
    Interesting concept. I'd like to see it finished & a first hand account of how well it works. Good job.
    Thanks gizz, I'll be working on it next week, i'll post updates...

I want build a step vise for it and I'm pretty sure I have router speed control unit out in the shed I can use to adjust fan speed. If not I'll need to put a threaded insert in the fans body and use a swing plate across the air intake to regulate the draft.

That looks great. This is something I've been wanting to build as well. Where did you get the fan?
    Miller Thunderbolt
    1966 F-350 Flatbed
    Belarus 250AS Tractor

My Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hardingluke01

I like it

I'm also interested in the coal question.

Around here I can get blacksmith coal about 2hrs away. A little far so I would consider other options.

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

It is coming along very nicely. I'll check back!
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by goodoldluke View Post
    That looks great. This is something I've been wanting to build as well. Where did you get the fan?
    goodoldduke I got the fan from Colemans Military Surplus on e-bay. I just checked, and they have 0 left, but there are many vendors that sell them..

MinnesotaDave I haven't checked yet but read I can buy my coal at a steam museum about an hours drive from me. It has working trains so we can meet the daughter, SIL and grand kids there and make a fun day of it. www.hesston.org

Nice, looking forward o seeing this complete. I am trying to build a forge so I can cast some aluminum from time to time. Do you plan on using steel or ceramic crusible?

Quote Originally Posted by deuce217 View Post
    Nice, looking forward o seeing this complete. I am trying to build a forge so I can cast some aluminum from time to time. Do you plan on using steel or ceramic crusible?

deuce as far as I know this type of forge is not for melting metal only heating it, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone out there could educate the both of us.

Got the deck burned out and tacked on today. Next Job is to go around the sides with 3" X 3/16 flat stock to keep the coal on the deck and then comes the sheet metal windscreen sides with top and chimney. I think it's going to be a handy size to move around the shop and put in my pick up if I ever get good enough to go to a hammering or county fair. :-)
    Last edited by tackit; 07-01-2013 at 06:37 PM.

excuse my lousy pictures, resizing them down to 800 X 600 distorts them...

Tackit,
    there well be a black smithing hammer inn this month in Pontiac,I'll.
    check out the IVBA web site, the IBA,or the UMBAonline.org for more info,you do not need to be a member as it will be oper to all comers.
    There are three clubs that put this weekend together and there will be tailgating sales,all typs of tools and equipment for sale.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmith101 View Post
    Tackit,
    there well be a black smithing hammer inn this month in Pontiac,I'll.
    check out the IVBA web site, the IBA,or the UMBAonline.org for more info,you do not need to be a member as it will be oper to all comers.
    There are three clubs that put this weekend together and there will be tailgating sales,all typs of tools and equipment for sale.
    Joe
    I wish I could make it steelsmith but my knees are just about done for and my back couldn't take the long drive. I'm going to have to get a scooter, I been putting it off but this year has been really painful. Medicine won't hide the pain anymore and do to bad doctoring after a construction accident my gate is so far off it prohibits me form getting knee replacements, a scooter is the only option for me. I work in the shop from a stool I built that has casters on it, the stool allows me to work and get around the shop. I'm going to be pretty much limited to the Hammerings in Northern Indiana.... they are in my comfort zone if I can call it that.. Thanks though for telling me about Pontiac steelsmith, that was swell of you.

I don't know if you saw these when I put them up in 2011, but there are some interesting OLD books about blacksmithing & forging at this website for free. Some of the info & techniques can still be used today, altho there are probably some newer methods to consider too.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=56040
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Very cool, nice job!
    Buy American, or don't whine when you end up on the bread line.

Quote Originally Posted by gizzardgutz View Post
    I don't know if you saw these when I put them up in 2011, but there are some interesting OLD books about blacksmithing & forging at this website for free. Some of the info & techniques can still be used today, altho there are probably some newer methods to consider too.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=56040
    Thank you, Thank You, Thank You gizzardgutz, There is a ton of valuable information there to glean. What truly amazing vision,engineering skills and craftsmanship people back then exhibited. I'll be taking advantage of it.

Thank you too WeldingMachine... I love having my peers critique my projects. I learn the most when members here with skills and knowledge much greater than mine are good enough to take the time to help by correcting me.

Looking good, so far.

What are your plans for a tuyere/clinker breaker?

I built my forge a few years ago and just made a slotted grate for the tuyere that lifts out for cleaning.

It works pretty well but after putting it through its paces for a while I think it would really benefit from a clinker breaker so I don't have to dig out the fire after a few hours of hot work to get the clinker out of the way.

After reading some of the comments on coal availability I realize I'm pretty lucky here. 2 places within 30 minutes of me sell bituminous, currently for around $20/50lb bag. (I remember when it was about $6.00, though)
    Last edited by app-ironworksllc; 07-02-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Brian Leonard
    Appalachian Ironworks L.L.C.
    434 Long Branch Rd, Marshall, NC 28753
    828 649 9966
    828 702 0697
    brian@appironworks.com
    www.appironworks.com

I don't want to be a critic, but since I know all there is to know about blacksmithing and forges (NOT).

Shouldn't the fan have a control damper of some kind? From what I have seen blacksmiths only add extra air when they are actually heating the metal. If you run the fan all the time it will make your forge consume more coal faster.

"G"
    ConductorX - The Volkswright Shop
    http://volkswright.blogspot.com/
    http://bugwerks.blogspot.com/

Miller DVI w/Spoolgun - Miller Plasma Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by ConductorX View Post
    I don't want to be a critic, but since I know all there is to know about blacksmithing and forges (NOT).

Shouldn't the fan have a control damper of some kind? From what I have seen blacksmiths only add extra air when they are actually heating the metal. If you run the fan all the time it will make your forge consume more coal faster.

"G"
    read post 6

I just so happens that I had to run out and get (3) 50 lb bags of coal today, $16.32 per 50lb bag including tax.
    Last edited by app-ironworksllc; 07-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Brian Leonard
    828 649 9966
    828 702 0697
    brian@appironworks.com
    www.appironworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by app-ironworksllc View Post
    Looking good, so far.

What are your plans for a tuyere/clinker breaker?

I built my forge a few years ago and just made a slotted grate for the tuyere that lifts out for cleaning.

It works pretty well but after putting it through its paces for a while I think it would really benefit from a clinker breaker so I don't have to dig out the fire after a few hours of hot work to get the clinker out of the way.

After reading some of the comments on coal availability I realize I'm pretty lucky here. 2 places within 30 minutes of me sell bituminous, currently for around $20/50lb bag. (I remember when it was about $6.00, though)
    app, I was thinking of making a grate too, but now that you brought up a clinker breaker I would appreciate you sharing your ideas on how to go about building one, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    app, I was thinking of making a grate too, but now that you brought up a clinker breaker I would appreciate you sharing your ideas on how to go about building one, Thanks.
    Here's some good discussion about them.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...inker-Breakers

After reading some of this I may stick with what I have.
    Brian Leonard
    828 649 9966
    828 702 0697
    brian@appironworks.com
    www.appironworks.com