HF tools that don't suck - Page 37
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Re: HF tools that don't suck

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    So do you think the larger one is made better or is it just the same design on a larger scale?

I didn't take the little one apart to see what was inside so I couldnt say for sure, but I think its basicly the same parts just smaller, all I know is it wouldn't run anymore and I heard pieces rattling around inside of it. The bigger ones last about 6 or 7 months for me and I use em pretty hard evry day. I put some pressure on the bigger ones peening the welds on this stuff. That day I tried the little one I was just cleaning slag and wasn't pushing on it, maybe I just got a bad one who knows. I figured I wasn't gonna waste any more time messing with a little one when ive got a bigger one that I know will do what I want it to do

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    I didn't take the little one apart to see what was inside so I couldnt say for sure, but I think its basicly the same parts just smaller, all I know is it wouldn't run anymore and I heard pieces rattling around inside of it. The bigger ones last about 6 or 7 months for me and I use em pretty hard evry day. I put some pressure on the bigger ones peening the welds on this stuff. That day I tried the little one I was just cleaning slag and wasn't pushing on it, maybe I just got a bad one who knows. I figured I wasn't gonna waste any more time messing with a little one when ive got a bigger one that I know will do what I want it to do
    Thanks - I appreciate hearing your experience with them.
    Home tinkerer and old tool junkie

I can tell you this, they've never given me a hard time when I brought one back and last winter I brought 3 of em back in a month, they just wore out that fast. Maybe I got some that were just junk or maybe it was the cold weather, but they keep one under the counter for me. Everything Ive ever got them if it was junk they would replace or give me a refund, so they are for real in that sense. Now maybe its the particular store Im dealing with I don't know, Ive only ever been to one of their stores so I couldnt say

I have the larger one, hadn't used it for a year. I had to take it completely apart and polish the moving parts before it would run. I suppose moisture in my air had made minor corrosion so the piston wouldn't slide.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

I try ed the little one for 20 bucks I did return one the second one did the same thing like it wasn't getting air, it was in the little pin/valve under the trigger, I think I re bent the trigger lever and unhook the air when not using for awhile, other than that it's got a lot of hours on it and I do mean alot for a 20 dollar air tool, I also took it apart and cleaned often and lubed with moly lube

I had been using this cheap 3" extended reach cut off tool because I liked the orientation of the grinding wheel. I didn't use it as a cut-off tool since it was really lacking in power, but rather to grind out tacks or weld beads where I couldn't fit a 4˝" grinder.

Then I saw this one last month, seemingly a copy of the Aircat 4" cut off tool:

Pros:
    • very beefy construction, as you can tell it's not made by the "typical" Harbor freight tool manufacturers. It's heavy and solidly built, a virtual copy of the Air Cat version, including the nice trigger lock switch and push-button wheel-lock for disc changes.
    • Price is very reasonable with a 20% coupon @ $119.99 before taxes.
    • It runs very smooth, with no discernible vibration that would leave your fingers/hand numb.
    • includes a sound "muffler" integrated into the rear-venting exhaust that not only quiets it down just a smidge, but most importantly drowns out the high-pitched noise that most other smaller air tools exhibit.
    • you can even mount a 1/8" thickness grinding disc instead of the usual 1/16" and smaller cut-off wheels, to use as a light-duty grinder, as I am using.
    • It has good power for smaller cut-off/grinding jobs and does not stall out like the whimpy $40, 3" cut off tool. I would compare the power to a 4˝" air grinder of similar price/size, approx 0.7-0.9HP

Cons:
    • it only accepts 3/8" arbor discs, so you have to make sure you can easily find the discs you need with that arbor hole size, since you can't use your typical 7/8" nor 5/8" arbor-hole discs
    • as with all air tools (not just harbor freight tools), the average air consumption listed is misleading. Aint no 4CFM gonna power this thing. It needs a good 15+ CFM as with any reasonably sized air grinder.
    • Not really a "con" but it's not super-mega-powerful to really hog out/cut thick material, but it is decently powerful if you have the airflow behind it.

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I love the 14" industrial chop saw, great for the price.
    "Whether you function as welders or inspectors, the laws of physics are implacable lie-detectors. You may fool men. You will never fool the metal."
    -Lois McMaster Bujolda

Miller AEAD-200le
    Lincoln Power Mig 140C
    Thermal Arc dragster 85

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    I love the 14" industrial chop saw, great for the price.
    I burned up a couple of their regular 14 inch chop saws so finally decided to buy the industrial one.... it lasted a little longer but finally toasted it too so then I picked up the dewalt... it still spins

The other day I got some pipe wrenches as they were having a big sale at the local HF was using one of them for the first time today and noticed it has a 'USA' on it ??? so I went back to the garbage where I had just thrown the HF label barcode I ripped off it... and it says made in china as expected... now mind you it don't say 'Made in USA' cast into it but still!!! and no where in the casting does it have a 'china'.

Name:  hf-pipewrench03.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  34.9 KB

well, for what its worth, having the huge amount of hand tools and the huge amount of welders and metal working equipment i have, I will give HF a good grade for their air tools.
    I walked in one day and decided let me buy an assortment of the air tools they have. Every thing from da sander to sheet metal nippers to air chisel. I have yet to have one fail on me. and I do not use these every day but when I do they come thru for me. You can tell just by holding one of the air tools it has weight, to me that means parts inside. i also own a lot of cornwall air tools , also very good . so there you have it. This is only my personal experience.

I used to buy a lot of their air grinders, sanders, etc... but if you really use them for hours on end each day they go to HF heaven in a week or two, at first it was cheap enough to just buy new ones each month but after a while this gets old

Going back to the needle scalers, I finally made a die for reflaring the end that goes into the disc that goes into the nose of the tool. Simple enough clamp the needle in the die with a bit sticking up, heat it cherry red and reshape the flare with a hammer, remove the die, reheat & quench in oil, just make sure it's not too hard, should be able to file it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

This looks like it will fit here.

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Going back to the needle scalers, I finally made a die for reflaring the end that goes into the disc that goes into the nose of the tool. Simple enough clamp the needle in the die with a bit sticking up, heat it cherry red and reshape the flare with a hammer, remove the die, reheat & quench in oil, just make sure it's not too hard, should be able to file it.
    I thought about doin somethin like that myself, but the innerds that make the thing work are usually what goes bad on mine, and I think its mostly due to the conditions I use it in. Dirt, dust, snowstorms and cold weather. Most of mine usually go in the winter so I think its mostly the cold weather, I've took back 3 or 4 of them in the winters the past 4 or 5 years. I only had one where the needles fell apart and they fell apart all at once, and I think it was because they did something different with the needle holder disc. Thgere was 2 of them I took back because the hammer that drives the needle disc broke