Show us what you welded today! - Page 401
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 401 of 404 FirstFirst ... 301351391399400401402403 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,025 of 10092
  1. #10001
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    675

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    The chair at the computer started coming apart a while back. The cracks were O/A welded, original partial welds had bronze brazing added, for example the round tube in the center had two welds 1/8 of the circumference each (and one had cracked), I brazed the entire way around it.

    I know it really isn't worth repairing something like this, but I see it mostly as good practice. That's something I know I need.

    Name:  DSC05529.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  189.6 KB

    Name:  DSC05534.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  75.3 KB

    Name:  DSC05537.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  169.7 KB

    Name:  DSC05545.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  65.1 KB

    Name:  DSC05549.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  109.5 KB
    Last edited by G-son; 08-14-2019 at 08:34 AM.

  2. #10002
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    675

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Brazed in three pieces of flat bar for reinforcement.
    The axle holding it together and acting as a hinge had a riveted end, didn't have a common bolt the right size to replace it, so a threaded end was silver brazed on the previously riveted end to hold it in place using nuts instead.
    The gas cylinder end is held in the chair foot using a simple metal clip ina groove, this makes a loose fit causing it to move around and make noise when you sit in the chair. I silver brazed a threaded end onto the cylinder end while keeping most of it submerged to not affect the steel heat treatment where it's important, or burn the seals. Now held in place with nuts - no movement, no noise.

    I've had a Henrob O/A torch for 9 years, last autumn I got my hands on a conventional style AGA X11 torch (the most common torch here in Sweden), and somehow more X11 pieces just keep coming - hard to not get it when the price is right. Here's a picture on what I've got now, used some of this for this job, but mostly the Henrob as I'm more comfortable with it - I got the X11 for the jobs where the Henrob doesn't fit.

    Name:  DSC05551.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  89.6 KB

    Name:  DSC05557.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  65.3 KB

    Name:  DSC05565.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  110.5 KB

    Name:  DSC05568.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  110.6 KB

    Name:  DSC05579.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  134.7 KB

  3. #10003
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,627

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by G-son View Post
    Brazed in three pieces of flat bar for reinforcement.
    The axle holding it together and acting as a hinge had a riveted end, didn't have a common bolt the right size to replace it, so a threaded end was silver brazed on the previously riveted end to hold it in place using nuts instead.
    The gas cylinder end is held in the chair foot using a simple metal clip ina groove, this makes a loose fit causing it to move around and make noise when you sit in the chair. I silver brazed a threaded end onto the cylinder end while keeping most of it submerged to not affect the steel heat treatment where it's important, or burn the seals. Now held in place with nuts - no movement, no noise.

    I've had a Henrob O/A torch for 9 years, last autumn I got my hands on a conventional style AGA X11 torch (the most common torch here in Sweden), and somehow more X11 pieces just keep coming - hard to not get it when the price is right. Here's a picture on what I've got now, used some of this for this job, but mostly the Henrob as I'm more comfortable with it - I got the X11 for the jobs where the Henrob doesn't fit.

    Name:  DSC05551.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  89.6 KB

    Name:  DSC05557.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  65.3 KB

    Name:  DSC05565.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  110.5 KB

    Name:  DSC05568.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  110.6 KB

    Name:  DSC05579.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  134.7 KB
    nice looking fix. every year or so a box truck would pull up to the shop with a bunch of busted office chairs with the support/reclining brackets cracked and broken. i'd use 7018 to weld them up but they didn't hold up for long. i think those pieces were heat treated or high tensile steel. whenever the "repaired" chairs showed up for the second time i fed them to the dumpster.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  4. #10004
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside of Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    843

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Nice collection of OA equipment!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

  5. #10005
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    675

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    nice looking fix. every year or so a box truck would pull up to the shop with a bunch of busted office chairs with the support/reclining brackets cracked and broken. i'd use 7018 to weld them up but they didn't hold up for long. i think those pieces were heat treated or high tensile steel. whenever the "repaired" chairs showed up for the second time i fed them to the dumpster.
    I've gone through a number of chairs, in many cases because I lean back a lot and in one way or another end up busting the back or whatever holding it. This chair has lasted unusually long so in a way it must be better constructed than many others, but now that I found out it had cracked it had five separate cracks, one through a weld and the rest probably a result of it all bending once the weld gave up. I'm thinking the metal probably is fatigued by now and can't handle much more, that's why I added so much reinforcement - as long as everything is rigid and the load is spread over as large area as possible it might hold together long enough for the upholstery to wear out too. Just fixing the cracks didn't seem worth it, that would just restore the original strength, minus the metal being fatigued - probably wouldn't last long.

    Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Nice collection of OA equipment!
    Thanks! I'm not quite sure how this happened, I just thought it would be good to have a conventional style torch for the times my Henrob is too heavy or big to get in where I need to weld. Nine months, three separate deals and equal to ~$70-75US total later I have got this collection plus a small acetylene cylinder (on top of the complete Henrob setup I already had, but that was expensive). Some of the stuff is obsolete; the lower handle misses threaded connectors for check valves before the hoses (mandatory here) for example, the regulator on the tank can't be equipped with a flashback arrestor (also mandatory) so I have to get another regulator that fits that type tank, but even so, if the tank is as full as the gauge implies I can see it as if I've paid for the gas and everything else is pure bonus. Or I've paid for half a new handle, or three new tips... Either way, I'm happy.

  6. #10006
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    42

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Whipped up my first welding table today - had a 28" x 48" plate hanging around for some time, and my local steel merchant had some 4' long remnants of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3/16" HSS ($110), throw in 4 new swivel casters ($66 at Amazon), and I was done for under $200:

    Name:  DSCF1805.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  75.8 KB

    I wanted to 'hide' the casters behind the table legs to avoid 'tripping' over them, and used 3/4" coil-rod thread as internal leg-levelers, with 2" diameter disc x 1/2" thick (used the slug from 2-1/2" dia annular cutter) as 'feet'.

    Min bench height is 36-1/2" - could lift up to 40" if I wished.

    Name:  DSCF1804.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  102.1 KB
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

    LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

    MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

    HOUGAN HMD 505

    HOUGAN HMD 130

    FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

  7. #10007
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,112

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Hey Ingenuity those casters look halfway decent. What is weight limit per caster and how tall are those casters? I have my eye on a couple at Harbor Freight that look very similar. I think they cost about $17.00 ea. before any discount coupon.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 08-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  8. #10008
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Had a lot of fixit welding to do today but only remembered to take pics for one small project.... Needed a special wrench to change the starter on one of our excavators so I cut a chunk out of an old wrench and bent it over then glued it back together.

    Name:  cx36b-wrench-cut.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  58.1 KB

    Name:  cx36b-wrench-bent.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  65.8 KB

    And right when I opened up the 6 inch vise we keep on one of the smaller welding tables some bees started attacking me!!! anyways they got a good dousing of berrymans as it was the closest can of anything I could get to in a hurry
    Name:  cx36b-wrench-dees.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  40.8 KB

    All done, and yes I did have to cut a bigger wedge out of it than the first pic showed.
    Name:  cx36b-wrench-welded.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  60.7 KB

    Also welded up a bunch of cracks and other stuff on our small dump trailer ramps but no pics then was going to weld the tailgate on the new large dump trailer but when I hooked up the welder for more of a remote reach it came on then quit.... spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if it was the cords, generator, or welder.... it looks like my trusty 211 died.

  9. #10009
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    2,563

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    I really don't understand why the wasps don't like having their carburetors or brakes cleaned.

  10. #10010
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Yeah... who knows??? oh well, they be chillin' right now heh heh

    Just got another 211 ordered hopefully it'll get here in a few days... still have my oldest transformer 211 I got working again as a backup but hate lugging it around

  11. #10011
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    42

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Hey Ingenuity those casters look halfway decent. What is weight limit per caster and how tall are those casters? I have my eye on a couple at Harbor Freight that look very similar. I think they cost about $17.00 ea. before any discount coupon.
    N2: They are rated at 1,000 lb.f each. 5" diameter x 2" wide. Polyethylene on solid cast-steel. I have used the same type of casters on alum dollies removing 48 ton of concrete slabs 8" thick x 4' x 4' (1,600 lb.f panels) without issue.

    Casters are about 6-1/2" tall, to top of 4-bolt mounting plate.

    Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

    LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

    MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

    HOUGAN HMD 505

    HOUGAN HMD 130

    FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

  12. #10012
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,112

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Thank you Ingenuity, looks like they are all sold out. Ever have any issues rolling over bumps like at the garage drop off to the driveway or gutter bump to the sidewalk etc? I was looking at some ot these earlier on Amazo and started thinking I may end up getting a couple of locking swivel casters similar to the ones you linked.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  13. #10013
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    42

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    I have less than 48 hours experience with these specific casters on my new welding table but like I said they are near identical to the casters on four aluminum dollies that I used cutting and dropping 48 ton of concrete slabs and transporting them from the 20th floor to the basement using passenger elevators and therefore had to traverse over the 3/4” nominal gap that exists between elevator car and the floor of a normal passenger elevator. They worked flawlessly for more than 80 trips.

    I also purchased similar PE on solid cast-steel casters on Amazon a few months back that are 8” dia - they are scheduled for an upcoming large weld table. If you have a gutter/driveway bump - more than 1” up/down - then 8” will work better.
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

    LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

    MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

    HOUGAN HMD 505

    HOUGAN HMD 130

    FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

  14. #10014
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    494

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yeah... who knows??? oh well, they be chillin' right now heh heh

    Just got another 211 ordered hopefully it'll get here in a few days... still have my oldest transformer 211 I got working again as a backup but hate lugging it around
    On a plus note, how nice are those Milwaukee Fuel grinders. Used my cousins the other day and it's quite a chunk better than our makita equivalents.

  15. #10015
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Had a lot of fixit welding to do today but only remembered to take pics for one small project.... Needed a special wrench to change the starter on one of our excavators so I cut a chunk out of an old wrench and bent it over then glued it back together.

    Name:  cx36b-wrench-cut.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  58.1 KB

    Name:  cx36b-wrench-bent.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  65.8 KB

    And right when I opened up the 6 inch vise we keep on one of the smaller welding tables some bees started attacking me!!! anyways they got a good dousing of berrymans as it was the closest can of anything I could get to in a hurry
    Name:  cx36b-wrench-dees.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  40.8 KB

    All done, and yes I did have to cut a bigger wedge out of it than the first pic showed.
    Name:  cx36b-wrench-welded.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  60.7 KB

    Also welded up a bunch of cracks and other stuff on our small dump trailer ramps but no pics then was going to weld the tailgate on the new large dump trailer but when I hooked up the welder for more of a remote reach it came on then quit.... spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if it was the cords, generator, or welder.... it looks like my trusty 211 died.
    On September 11, 2001 was a very bad day.

    It coincidentally was a day I was wiring an outdoor wood furnace. Big winged wasps were getting very territorial. I got stung a couple times. All I could find to retaliate with was an aerosol can of belt dressing. It was amazing! These big stingers would approach slowly. A mist of belt dressing would take them out of the air. When they landed their feet stuck to the concrete. I'd watch them struggle to pull one foot loose, then have to put it back down to pull another loose.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  16. #10016
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,866

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    I'm doing a art/craftshow Saturday which is by invitation only. I was thrilled to be asked so I decided to add cattails and horseshoe WELCOME signs to my display.
    I designed the horseshoe signs so it can be set on a flat surface ad in picture. The bases can be unscrewed and it can be hung on wall or screw in two 3/8" all thread rods and stick in ground. I did make others ones that have a radius to them. The straight seemed to be preferred.
    Name:  IMG_2999.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  123.9 KBName:  IMG_3001.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  109.9 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #10017
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    On a plus note, how nice are those Milwaukee Fuel grinders. Used my cousins the other day and it's quite a chunk better than our makita equivalents.
    I find them very handy just saves a lot of time/noise, they are pretty powerful... right up there with my dewalt's... well almost kinda funny is when I was cutting and welding the ramps I started with a 9 amp batt and was pushing it pretty hard plus it was about 90 out so the thing would shut down when I'd get on it too much or bind the disc... so i though putting a 12amp on there would be better but it actually shutdown easier??? all the batts were freshly charged and none of them are even very old... so my theory is they use lower grade cells in the 12's cause they can't keep up with the draw the grinder wants.

    @ Willie, I'll have to try a can of bee dressing not that I'm cruel but sometimes you just gotta even the score usually I like using ether or something flammable and a torch... but when you're not prepared you make do!!!

  18. #10018
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,112

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Those are some nice pieces Bob.

    @ ronsii, I looked like a lunatic the other day swatting at yellow jackets every time they flew in my face being all territorial. Every time I got close to the edge of my garage or walked any where outsidethey were everywhere. Oh I swiped a few down and squished them but most were just lucky that I was too slow “been drinking”
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  19. #10019
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,627

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I'm doing a art/craftshow Saturday which is by invitation only. I was thrilled to be asked so I decided to add cattails and horseshoe WELCOME signs to my display.
    I designed the horseshoe signs so it can be set on a flat surface ad in picture. The bases can be unscrewed and it can be hung on wall or screw in two 3/8" all thread rods and stick in ground. I did make others ones that have a radius to them. The straight seemed to be preferred.
    Name:  IMG_2999.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  123.9 KBName:  IMG_3001.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  109.9 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BD; that cat tail sculpture is a great use of re-bar. very effing clever!
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  20. #10020
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    494

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Not welded... but completed tractor wings that were patched in post 9998 glad that the patched areas are mostly hidden by wheels and roll frame Anyways they got a good undersealing and some fresh Massey Ferguson Red.




    just got the piece-in bits to make to tie the wings into the foot plates.

    This is just for a cheap tractor to scrape cow crap out of the sheds in winter... dunno why I decided to make it nice
    Last edited by Munkul; 08-19-2019 at 04:15 AM.

  21. #10021
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,684

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Not welded... but completed tractor wings that were patched in post 9998 glad that the patched areas are mostly hidden by wheels and roll frame Anyways they got a good undersealing and some fresh Massey Ferguson Red.




    just got the piece-in bits to make to tie the wings into the foot plates.

    This is just for a cheap tractor to scrape cow crap out of the sheds in winter... dunno why I decided to make it nice
    At least you did the right thing. Might as well make it nice if you have already taken the time to fix it.

    I have a wayward right fender laying around somewhere in the yard. Been running the Oliver without it for near on 15yrs One of those things that would take a few hours, but you never seem to get around to it.

    Don't really like the fenders on the Oliver anyway...……...they completely overhang the tire/wheel, and make it impossible to lift the wheel with a crane. Not a problem when removing the wheel, but a major PITA when it comes to installing it. Spinout rims are miserable to install.

    Name:  PA_Rim__89300.1379075100.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  144.6 KB

  22. #10022
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    8,478

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Name:  F586D8A3-3816-4C1C-995B-D8008EBCF27F.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  130.6 KBmore of these parts that get spool gunned

  23. #10023
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Groves, Texas
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    What are those for?

  24. #10024
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,684

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    What are those for?
    Jesus only knows...... (subtle lil' joke.....gotta read back a ways)

  25. #10025
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    8,478

    Re: Show us what you welded today!

    I think some kind of fancy box truck parts. I’m in the fab area and this gets sent across the street to mounting.

    Jesus is definitely on top of things

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement