Show us what you welded today! - Page 408
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 408 of 411 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410 ... LastLast
Results 10,176 to 10,200 of 10259

Re: Show us what you welded today!

Turned the end piece in my pm 1127 lathe and welded on a HF $3 clamp. Works well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Do you change the welder settings when going uphill?ive been having a tough time going up so I go down
    With wire,, either MIG or Flux Core, you should be running at about the same settings as going flat, or horizontal. It's not like stick welding, where you cut back a bit when running uphill.

Wire, by it's very nature is fast freeze. It doesn't compare with 7018, which is indeed runny.

Again some old pics (don't do much wire welding here)……………………….

.035 flux core uphill welds, and settings.

Name:  ln25 2.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  129.7 KB voltage is in the 17-18v range (ignore the meter on the machine, it's off by a coupla volts)

Name:  ln25 6.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  126.0 KB 150ipm

Name:  ln25 7.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  ln25 8.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  140.3 KB The blob of snot is due to crud on the tip breaking off, and traveling into the puddle on the wire.

Name:  ln25 9.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  147.3 KB This happens occasionally with flux core. Sometimes I forget to knock it off the tip prior to running a bead. It goes into the puddle, and doesn't melt in...…...and ya get an inclusion. Solid wire wouldn't pose this problem, so it's better in that respect.

But, anyways...……………….just keep slightly above the puddle, and let it follow you up the groove. Don't whip, or do mondo side to side weave-pause movements. The wire freezes fast enough that it's not necessary. Side to side as you go, no pause...……..just butter it in there. Never get above the puddle, always stay at the leading edge, letting it flow out as you go.

I tend to run the stuff like I'd run 7018...…….I pay attention to the puddle,, and drag it uphill. It's not the only way to run this stuff. It's easier to stack layers like a sorta weave...…...but that's just not my style...….too used to stick welding.

I like to keep the gun pointed directly 90* to the metal, or slightly uphill. I don't like any kind of downward angle as I go up. Some guys do.

It's hard to explain...….but I weld "wet", not "dry". I create a liquid puddle, and keep it liquid as I travel. I keep it as hot as I can so it will flow. Others like to let it freeze in layers as they go. Both ways are fine.

Your spoolgun work tends to look a bit cold. Try turning it up if you can (i'm not too familiar with aluminum, so I don't know how hot you can run with it). You'll catch on after a while. Pretty soon it'll look like your TIG welds, quality wise. And, FOR GOD'S SAKE, don't try to do that MIG like TIG crap. Not only looks like crap, I'm betting it's not as sound of a weld as a straight bead. Making those stupid dollops takes the wire away from the leading edge of the puddle,, and away from the base metal...……..this kills good fusion......you need to keep heat in that metal at all times. Making dollops is just stacking material, it ain't weldin'.

You can increase wire speed if you're filling deep grooves,, or running faster. Voltage will stay the same, within reason. You'll know when you need to increase voltage......it'll start looking cold at the toes of the weld, and the material will pile up, instead of wetting out.

Hell Moto, it's just a matter of time doing it....it'll all become apparent after a while.

Commission for a coffee table - 36" X 36" X 16". Design criteria to be "kinda funky"...meaning not too refined? Top boards are spalted hard maple from a log I had cut up on a bandsaw mill about 4 years ago. I left the mill scale on all steel, scotchbrite the rusty legs a bit, and applied Black Magic (oxide) overall. Metal Oil (Sculpt Nouveau) for top coat for some rust protection. Looks shiny, but will flatten out after time. This stuff takes forever to dry if applied too thick. Side boards are burned cedar (shou sugi ban) with spray lacquer. I like the metalworking, the wood working not so much.

Name:  amandas table overall.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  221.8 KB

Name:  boards detail.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  166.6 KB

Name:  corner detail.jpg
Size:  208.8 KB

Name:  feet detail.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  219.8 KB

Name:  E632A17B-D8B6-4C15-A3CB-6D4B6B1FF789.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  75.2 KBName:  8E5080C1-423A-4A66-A556-EA4E8A997B27.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  65.3 KBName:  773D8740-D041-4A88-AEC3-D8C1D5ECF079.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  60.3 KBName:  A4EA5887-1DF0-4E70-88C4-D37871B669AC.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  62.7 KBreefer frame for box truck. 1/4” thick

Looking good moto... you'll learn how to weld aluminum yet

Got the rest of the airport bollards done and installed this morning

Name:  usps-seatac-bollard-topbrace.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  usps-seatac-bollard-installed.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  144.8 KB
    I even painter them after install but got in a rush to get out of there and forgot the pics

Thanks ronsii! Ya I’m still learning

Don't tell him it looks good if it doesn't. It helps nobody.

I don't do aluminum, but I doggone sure don't like the welds. He's capable of better.

Now...……..if luminum looks that crappy when welded, then I guess it's the reason I wouldn't have aluminum for anything that needs to take a load.

The stuff cracks when it reaches it's duty cycle, and the cycle is miniscule.

But...………………….Moto is capable of better, and he better get on with it.

Oh geeeeeezzzzz Sammy, the phrase' looking good' doesn't mean the welds look perfect.... it means his skillz are looking good.... or looking better than they were the last time I saw them....

Especially when the welds are of a 'production environment' I know how my 'production welds' look compared to my 'take the time to do it perfect welds' and when someone else is paying for production welds that is what I give um' if they want perfect.... well then that's a different tune

Ronsi………...I don't know yer name.

This is why I really like the Canadian welders(not all of them). They go thru an apprenticeship, and do things right. Most are azzholes, but well trained azzholes.

This is what's killing us in this country. We give a slap on the back for stuff that really ain't right. We have to stop.

Quality matters.

Ok... I'll do it right

@moto: those welds look like **** moto.... try it again and this time do it right!!!!!

Just kidding

I hear ya' Sammy I still give kudos to people(no matter who they are) when I see(what I think) is good work.... I really don't do aluminum(yet) but I have seen plenty of examples of stuff and there is a big difference between welding processes and what they look like in aluminium... even when that same weld is mechanically the same yet visually completely different(to some folks) So as they say....' Looks ain't everything' kinda like tractors and yes I have a few that could be homelier than yours
    Last edited by ronsii; 10-07-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Don't tell him it looks good if it doesn't. It helps nobody.

I don't do aluminum, but I doggone sure don't like the welds. He's capable of better.

I think the problem is HE has been tig welding for so long, he is putting too much emphasis on making spoolgun look "pretty" ALA-stack of whatever...

Aesthetically, I DO think it looks ok ... to the general public... but in the real world, it lacks sustenance.

I think Munkle has mentioned the same thing.... So don't shoot the messenger...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    Commission for a coffee table - 36" X 36" X 16". Design criteria to be "kinda funky"...meaning not too refined? Top boards are spalted hard maple from a log I had cut up on a bandsaw mill about 4 years ago. I left the mill scale on all steel, scotchbrite the rusty legs a bit, and applied Black Magic (oxide) overall. Metal Oil (Sculpt Nouveau) for top coat for some rust protection. Looks shiny, but will flatten out after time. This stuff takes forever to dry if applied too thick. Side boards are burned cedar (shou sugi ban) with spray lacquer. I like the metalworking, the wood working not so much.

Name:  amandas table overall.jpg
Size:  221.8 KB

Name:  boards detail.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  166.6 KB

Name:  corner detail.jpg
Size:  208.8 KB

Name:  feet detail.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  219.8 KB
    Very nice work! On these kind of projects, I like to drill holes in the foot plate and weld it to the legs from the bottom side. Then you don't have the weld bead visible.

Ah, so it wasn't just me.

Tell you what, Moto. If you can get some scrap, run a bead like you have been, cut it open, polish and etch with some drain cleaner, then we can all see how sound a weld you're producing. And if we're all wrong and you're right, then you get to be King of the internet for a week

It's aluminum MIG, it's not likely to come out pretty. He's not building a space shuttle.

I get 100% penetration on a butt joint. But I’ll still test if u want

Quote Originally Posted by pjk View Post
    Very nice work! On these kind of projects, I like to drill holes in the foot plate and weld it to the legs from the bottom side. Then you don't have the weld bead visible.
    Looks good to me.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Awesome coffee table. Where do you get the black oxide from? Any link from amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by therider View Post
    Awesome coffee table. Where do you get the black oxide from? Any link from amazon?
    Thanks! - I've been using a product from Sculpt Nouveau called Black Magic. (they have many others) I also use their Metal Oil...too lazy to make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    Thanks! - I've been using a product from Sculpt Nouveau called Black Magic. (they have many others) I also use their Metal Oil...too lazy to make my own.
    Thanks a lot. Do they offer free shipping above a certain amount?
    Do you apply the black patina using a cloth or brush? And when do you use metal oil?

Show us what you welded today!

Thanks a lot. Do they offer free shipping above a certain amount?
    Do you apply the black patina using a cloth or brush? And when do you use metal oil?
    I bought a quart and shipping to Canada pretty much doubled the cost (with currency exchange and taxes)

Here’s a pic where I used Sculpt Nouveau. I wiped it on with a rag.

As mentioned it takes a while to dry but no big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 10-09-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I bought a quart and shipping to Canada pretty much doubled the cost (with currency exchange and taxes)

Here’s a pic where I used Sculpt Nouveau. I wiped it on with a rag.

As mentioned it takes a while to dry but no big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful! Will the heat from forge not affect the patina?

Beautiful! Will the heat from forge not affect the patina?
    i can't resist~not if the forge is used as a yard planter
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    i can't resist~not if the forge is used as a yard planter
    LOL about the same as seeing docwelder in the 'show us what you welded today' thread

edit: me too could'nt resist
    Last edited by snowbird; 10-09-2019 at 06:28 PM.