Show us what you welded today! - Page 411
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 411 of 411 FirstFirst ... 311361401409410411
Results 10,251 to 10,259 of 10259

Re: Show us what you welded today!

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    This is a class 5 hitch and this is the second time they broke it, another shop fixed it a few years ago but he basically put it back to the same way it was before. The receiver is welded to a 4x10'' tube so it looks pretty beefy but the tube is only 3/16'' wall so it's flexing enough to crack the tube, anyhow I fixed it mo better this time with some 1/2'' plate.
    Attachment 1706378
    Attachment 1706379
    Attachment 1706381
    Attachment 1706380
    I seriously thought of a receiver hitch when I made the setup for my 1 ton. I went with what I have, because I didn't like the leverage the receiver tube puts on the thing. Just didn't seem right.

You have the receiver, that sticks out a few inches, then add the insert, and you're sticking out almost a foot. Lotta leverage.

I think the ball on my setup sits about maybe 2 1/2-2 3/4, on center, from the cross tube. Cross tube is 3" 3/16 wall tubing with reinforcement where the hitch pin goes thru it. The hitch pin is dead center, and transfers torque in the most efficient way possible...…..thru the central axis of the tube.

Y'all have seen the setup a million times,, so no point in putting up yet another pic. It's a proven design mainly because of its longevity...…..been on the truck since sometime around 2008.

Would I do it today......not sure. I've gotten old, and I second guess myself all the time nowdays. I'm not willing to go out on a limb anymore. Old age sucks.

If you put tube on top, forces would be in compression.

But, then again...…….

I had to hook up the old Rhino brushog today. Was in behind another Rhino, and boxed in by the semi trailer.

Put the new little loader crane on the loader, extended it another 12" beyond collapsed length.

Hooked a chain to the CY72 (which I just looked up, and it weighs 1350#). The brushog was about 8-10 feet off to the left side of the crane. So I had to lift, and drag, at the same time, to actually get it underneath the crane to lift it.

Never gave it a thought. Just snagged it, and moved it out from behind the semi trailer.

That's one Hell of a lot of stress on that little crane.

Hell, that old CY72 might weigh more. I found the "weight" on another forum. The CY72 is the equivalent of the modern 400 series I believe, and Rhino says it weighs around 1500# https://www.rhinoag.com/products/rot...es-super-duty/

So,, for that instant, I forgot about specs, and just used the dam thing. Held up fine. And why shouldn't it...………..I built it (shrug)

Anyways. Had I sat there, and analyzed it, with my aging brain...…...I probably wouldn't have done what I did. You get risk averse when you get old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    If you put tube on top, forces would be in compression.
    She'll still try to rip out. The receiver on top is same same. Leverage on the outside radius of the cross tube. It's why I don't like the things.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    But, then again...…….

I had to hook up the old Rhino brushog today. Was in behind another Rhino, and boxed in by the semi trailer.

Put the new little loader crane on the loader, extended it another 12" beyond collapsed length.

Hooked a chain to the CY72 (which I just looked up, and it weighs 1350#). The brushog was about 8-10 feet off to the left side of the crane. So I had to lift, and drag, at the same time, to actually get it underneath the crane to lift it.

Never gave it a thought. Just snagged it, and moved it out from behind the semi trailer.

That's one Hell of a lot of stress on that little crane.

Hell, that old CY72 might weigh more. I found the "weight" on another forum. The CY72 is the equivalent of the modern 400 series I believe, and Rhino says it weighs around 1500# https://www.rhinoag.com/products/rot...es-super-duty/

So,, for that instant, I forgot about specs, and just used the dam thing. Held up fine. And why shouldn't it...………..I built it (shrug)

Anyways. Had I sat there, and analyzed it, with my aging brain...…...I probably wouldn't have done what I did. You get risk averse when you get old.
    Geez, not sure.....might be closer to the GR series......weight is still at 1500#

Quote Originally Posted by jakedaawg View Post
    Attachment 1706386

Finished, now clean the shop and get back to boat winterizing and wrapping.
    Forgive my ignorance but how's that contraption used?
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Miller Coolmate 1.3 Coolant System
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but how's that contraption used?
    So, on a lake people with ski boats and stuff have a hoist called a "shore station ". Google it. Well when winter comes you need to pull the hoist out of the water. So, you get a set of two wheels with little stub axles. You use that contraption I made to lift one end of the hoist high enough to put the wheels in their little brackets so you van roll the hoist up on shore. The Shore Station boat hoists weigh about 750lb to maybe 1200 depending on size. The little crank makes it so at least two guys can get it out. Without it you need four or five guys to lift one end up to put the wheels on.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Spoolgun work on .100” and 1/4” aluminum Name:  F69CFBDA-4AA1-4392-9BA6-EA216B96E1E0.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  89.3 KBName:  BC198AD3-1112-48F2-AEF7-29C9FC19CA4D.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  80.3 KBName:  375B3F51-4C63-457E-8B50-F6295ED95A15.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  126.9 KBprobably won’t pass sams visual inspection but had the lead guy say he’s seeing improvements in my welding lately.

A tiny house?
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829