Looking at a new truck. Opinions... - Page 6
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Looking at a new truck. Opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by roadoil View Post
    I would get the most heavy duty pick up you can, I had gas trucks doing 35 mph up steep grades pulling 12k no fun and 2wd no thanks I travel at times in the winter 4wd has saved me too many times and its safer, one time going up a icy hill at 50 mph F150 decided to fish tail for a 100 yards almost into opposite lane of on coming semi, doesnt happen with 4wd. I enjoy slides hard driving etc but that time no thanks, If I would have let off would have spun into him or worse hit brakes all I could do was try and control with throttle and steering inputs, no more 2wd trucks for me.

Diesel with 4wd better resale, last longer and pulls heavy at least 3/4 ton but preferably 1 ton, duallys are much more stable towing heavy.

Oh and stay away from Fords heres a pic of me towing heavy huge rear end squat and 400 miles later a flat cam and blown turbo this a few years ago truck is still in my front yard hood up heads off have yet to pull blockm can fix it but why will just break again LOL

Attachment 1692247
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?
    What part ? Lol Had 3 Sick O Diesels all 2 repeated head gasket failures, this one flat cam, had a 08 6.4 diesel failed egr flooded cylinder bent rod trash motor, Ford tells you pound sand at the dealership service they dont service them anymore want to forget about them like the crazy grandmother in basement. Fords are junk even the new ones too many failure points Dodge Cummins for me now.

In the pic 18,500 lbs trailer rated 24k, the rear end squat needed helper springs or air shocks, truck handles passes fine was using tow mode andengine as brake going down them prob why flat cam which are weak in ford diesels.
    Last edited by roadoil; 10-05-2018 at 02:21 PM.

That picture should be moved to the trailer fails thread. I don't care what it weighs or what the trucks is/was rated for, there's way too much weight on the tongue.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    That picture should be moved to the trailer fails thread. I don't care what it weighs or what the trucks is/was rated for, there's way too much weight on the tongue.
    No Its the the stock Ford crappy lifted 4wd suspension causing squat, after this truck broke down I towed the trailer with my F350 2wd service truck dually maybe went down an inch in the rear.

I see F250s with 4wd all the time with huge squat towing heavy campers, its common.

I picked this unit up 1500 miles away wasnt going to back out bringing it back because I was afraid of some rear end squat.
    Last edited by roadoil; 10-05-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Found a new truck. Going to pick it up in a few hours. 2014 Silverado 2500hd ccsb 6.0 4x4 z71 LT with some extra options. 30k miles.

I'm trying to think of things I'll need for it. First up is a 2.5" to 2" hitch adapter sleeve. Who makes the best fitting one?
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by little Jeep View Post
    Didn't Chevy have a lot of issues with the 6.0l?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not according to the mechanics I know. I have the 6 liter in a 3500 1 ton Chevy express van. Pulls loaded trailers like they are not there. Only thing the engine needed was a water pump. Mileage around 11 city 15-16 highway.
    Ernie F.

Here it is.
    Name:  IMG_20190123_171526.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  80.8 KB
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Not according to the mechanics I know. I have the 6 liter in a 3500 1 ton Chevy express van. Pulls loaded trailers like they are not there. Only thing the engine needed was a water pump. Mileage around 11 city 15-16 highway.
    That's exactly what I have heard about the 6.0 from a few mechanics with no dog in the fight, and the longevity is supposed to be real good, nice looking truck not jim

Nice looking truck. If the receivers weren’t so expensive the 2-1/2” ones would be nice. A buddy bought an adapter sleeve from fleet farm had to beat it in pretty hard not sure how it will come out
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    That's exactly what I have heard about the 6.0 from a few mechanics with no dog in the fight, and the longevity is supposed to be real good, nice looking truck not jim
    I have a Van, my son drives the pickup. Pickup has 4.11 rear, Van has 3.42 rear. Both have 6.0, and 6L80 These transmissions have 2 overdrive gears. Top gear is something ridiculously over 1.5:1. I have lost 3 torque converters, one transmission.

What I understand about torque converters is they slip when too high a ratio is engaged. A non slipping converter makes little heat. My belief is that GM went for fuel economy knowing that most vans are empty half the trip. Others are never close to empty. 3.42 is silly high gearing, pair that with a double OD trans. it will load the torque converter. GM recognized the problem, sent a bulletin.

My converter failed. They replaced it.

Next time it failed, they asked, (as though it was an afterthought), did I want new fluid, and filter. I was incredulous! It seemed a totally unacceptable question. The torque converter had failed twice, of course you change fluid, flush the transmission, and replace filter. That is so obvious!!!!!!!!!.

Third failure, it took out the transmission too. The warranty process was UGLY.

I now have 89,000 on the truck, I have 15,000 on the third torque converter, second transmission. Fluids were fresh, as was the cooler 15000 ago. I've been running in tow haul. Mileage has not suffered, but I have to use manual going down hill to prevent it slamming low gear way too hard.

Meanwhile the second pickup with 4.11 gearing at 100,000 is very happy. No transmission fails despite lots of heavy towing, and snow plowing.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

I have the 6.0 in my 2005 Express 3500 cutaway hi-top utility van. It's been a mixed bag. Dependable, yes. In 110K only failed to start twice, first was a starter second time was fuel pump. Water pump? I'm on the 4th one, fortunately they are easy to change. The big thing has been oil leaks, it's had them since nearly new. Top end was resealed once but bottom was leaking too. It's pretty much been a leaker most of it's life which is no fun when you park on customer's driveways. I carry a board to throw under it but last weekend I decided to make an underbelly cover, 3/4" plywood with three layers of pig mat stapled to it bolted securely thru the cross member and safely away from the exhaust. Will see how it works, will no doubt need fresh pig mat at every oil change. No complaints about the tranny but I put a big cooler on it and two pusher fans soon after I bought it, and put a drain in the pan to keep the fluid fresh.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I have the 6.0 in my 2005 Express 3500 cutaway hi-top utility van. It's been a mixed bag. Dependable, yes. In 110K only failed to start twice, first was a starter second time was fuel pump. Water pump? I'm on the 4th one, fortunately they are easy to change. The big thing has been oil leaks, it's had them since nearly new. Top end was resealed once but bottom was leaking too. It's pretty much been a leaker most of it's life which is no fun when you park on customer's driveways. I carry a board to throw under it but last weekend I decided to make an underbelly cover, 3/4" plywood with three layers of pig mat stapled to it bolted securely thru the cross member and safely away from the exhaust. Will see how it works, will no doubt need fresh pig mat at every oil change. No complaints about the tranny but I put a big cooler on it and two pusher fans soon after I bought it, and put a drain in the pan to keep the fluid fresh.
    yeah I dont know about that set up, you might want to park in the middle of the street so when it burst into flames you dont burn the customers house down...lets see..oil soaked matting stapled to plywood bolted under neath a hot tranny , engine and exhaust close by..and you dont also think thats going to cause the tranny to over heat from lack of air circulation ?

I guess I've been fortunate I had a 96 dodge ram that a few swore up and down that I was going to be replacing transmissions every 75k on it I sold it with 250k shifting just fine one service at 100k was it, and a 98 chevy although a little s10 just about to hit 300k only time any trans fluid or service was when the lines would rust out and puke fluid, had company trucks 350 and 450s never a issue but I do drive like aunt Bea going to church on Sunday morning

Quote Originally Posted by roadoil View Post
    What part ? Lol Had 3 Sick O Diesels all 2 repeated head gasket failures, this one flat cam, had a 08 6.4 diesel failed egr flooded cylinder bent rod trash motor, Ford tells you pound sand at the dealership service they dont service them anymore want to forget about them like the crazy grandmother in basement. Fords are junk even the new ones too many failure points Dodge Cummins for me now.

In the pic 18,500 lbs trailer rated 24k, the rear end squat needed helper springs or air shocks, truck handles passes fine was using tow mode andengine as brake going down them prob why flat cam which are weak in ford diesels.
    Bottom line, stay away from 6.0s and 6.4s, and don't overload then like crazy

What's different about the 4x4 suspension that makes it squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    yeah I dont know about that set up, you might want to park in the middle of the street so when it burst into flames you dont burn the customers house down...lets see..oil soaked matting stapled to plywood bolted under neath a hot tranny , engine and exhaust close by..and you dont also think thats going to cause the tranny to over heat from lack of air circulation ?
    Hey a small oil leak can be a nice rust preventive

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    since when does an automatic tranny cool by air circulation around the case??? and by the way it doesn't cover the tranny, it covers the oil pan. So all the cars with plastic underbelly covers lined with oil absorbing insulation are fire bombs waiting to burst into flames? gimme a break
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Here it is.
    Name:  IMG_20190123_171526.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  80.8 KB
    You can see the rust starting over the rear wheel wells already!

Nice looking truck Jim! Should serve you well for at least 3-4 years.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

It better last longer than that. Damn thing wasn't cheap. It should do everything I want to do. So I'm planning on 10 years. Maybe trade at 100-120k.

Drove the last one about 3 days short of 5 years. Bought at 100k. Traded at 177k. Perfectly good truck, but won't haul the family.
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 01-24-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    My name's not Jim....

since when does an automatic tranny cool by air circulation around the case??? and by the way it doesn't cover the tranny, it covers the oil pan. So all the cars with plastic underbelly covers lined with oil absorbing insulation are fire bombs waiting to burst into flames? gimme a break
    well just look at all the heavy equipment that burns up because the belly pans fill up with dirt then hold oil then catch fire and burn....keep a big fire extinguisher close by....

So it took you 5 years to find a truck?
    I thought I was bad about thinking things through for a long time!!

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    So it took you 5 years to find a truck?
    I thought I was bad about thinking things through for a long time!!
    Well, kinda. I set out looking for a crew cab 1500 and ended up with the 2006 reg cab 2500hd on the first page.

Yesterday, I traded that '06 for this '14. Now I think I have what I want. Although, I did just see a '12 ltz with 25k miles for a few grand less. My LT pretty much has everything, but leather. I should probably stop looking.
    My name's not Jim....

Bulldozers have belly pans. ALL belly pans are full of dirt. I'd guess my 14600 LB crawler carried 1000 lbs of dirt/oil mixture. 500 hours ago we cleaned out the cargo, and put in all new seals, and any needed gaskets. Hydraulic hoses are a great source of seepage.

A guy I grew up with has the next size bigger tractor of the same vintage. His needed love more than mine. It did not receive it. A month ago, a battery cable rubbed through its insulation, and got things going. The belly fire got hot enough to ignite the crankcase. He tried to drive to a fire extinguisher. He didn't get there in time.

I looked it over. Believe it or not it caused it to throw a rod through the block. It sort of makes sense, the engine running while the crankcase oil is burning, bearings aren't being lubricated. A rod bearing solders itself to the crank. Cummins rods are freakishly beefy, but they can break. A broken rod attached solidly to a crank journal unable to swing, has to go somewhere. I'd guess he was running at full throttle.

The fire took place in a farm road. There was nothing to burn nearby but barbed wire. The dealer estimates repair at $20,000.00.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Found a new truck. Going to pick it up in a few hours. 2014 Silverado 2500hd ccsb 6.0 4x4 z71 LT with some extra options. 30k miles.

I'm trying to think of things I'll need for it. First up is a 2.5" to 2" hitch adapter sleeve. Who makes the best fitting one?
    That should be in the truck, near where the jack is stored.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

I have a 2015 2500HD and love it !! My old one was a 2000 and not a tab of rust anywhere. I did have the GM protector on that on and dd the same on this one.

I bought the SCHUCK receiver hitch for the 2000 and did the same for this one. Pulling 10,000 felt great using this hitch. It wasn't bad in price in 2015, you gotta shop around.

IF you do hauling I definitely say it's worth it. http://store.schuckcushionhitches.com/750-rt-r-25

The difference in cost between a decent 2" hitch and a 2.5" hitch is only about $30. Hopefully you are not planning on using some $20 u haul drawbar that is only rated for 5K lbs

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/6-rapid-hitch.aspx