Looking at a new truck. Opinions...
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Looking at a new truck. Opinions...

Been shopping for a truck to replace my '99 Dakota. Set out looking for a 1500, but ended up focused on this 2500.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2wd
    100K miles
    6.0 liter gas
    Asking price was $9500. We're down to $8500 OTD.
    It is a very clean truck.

I'm looking for a newer truck with more towing capacity. Mpg was a concern, but after and extended test drive today, I don't think I need to worry about it. I drove roughly 5 miles in town and 25 miles of 55mph highway. My computer reported an average of 14.2 MPG. I think it will get better as most of my driving is hwy miles.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind.
    What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My name's not Jim....

Re: Looking at a new truck. Opinions...

I think that truck will serve you well. I have a 2000 1/2 ton 5.3 with 273000 miles on it.
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

More towing capacity ? What do you plan on pulling ? You don't need 4 wheel drive ? Does the truck have a towing package ? Trans oil cooler , brake controller wiring harness , posi traction, the Tow /haul mode switch , and a large capacity fuel tank ?
    I would not buy a truck without 4 wheel drive since my first one in 2000 which I still have . I guess it would depend on how and where you use it.
    Pulling a trailer up a snow packed incline could be rough even with a heavy tongue or through a muddy job site. It sucks when you try to back up a loaded trailer and the trailer stays put and the truck drifts.

Trans cooler...check
    Tow/haul mode...check
    Large tank...check
    Brake controller?...will either locate or install one
    Posi...I believe so, but dealer is getting that verified

In that last 10 years, I've really only needed 4x4 once. That was only because of poor choices. I should have stayed home. Right now I feel like I've spent more time and money maintaining the 4x4 parts than what it's use was worth to me. Those extra parts wear even when they aren't doing anything.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Trans cooler...check
    Tow/haul mode...check
    Large tank...check
    Brake controller?...will either locate or install one
    Posi...I believe so, but dealer is getting that verified

In that last 10 years, I've really only needed 4x4 once. That was only because of poor choices. I should have stayed home. Right now I feel like I've spent more time and money maintaining the 4x4 parts than what it's use was worth to me. Those extra parts wear even when they aren't doing anything.
    Boost:

No truer words have ever been spoken!

I used to love the SUV crowd when they showed up with a transfer case problem and could not understand why it was going to cost them a couple of grand, because they only used the 4WD a couple of times to take the kiddies to Mickey Dee's on the days when school was cancelled due to snow.

I have only owned one 4WD in my life and that was a ton chassis with a tow bed. The added fuel consumption and maintenance, got that thing relocated within 6 months.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

4wd or nothing, that's just me tho. I use my 4wd at least once a week all year long. The way I look at it is like, If you only need a D/C machine would you not buy the a/c d/c model because it cost more, and pray you never need it. Same principal. I would say who cares if you lived in Arizona, but not where you live.
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

The price seems a little high. I just traded a clean 95000 mile 8' 07 2500 4x4 6 liter L480 4.11. Allowance was 8000. Otherwise a great truck Bought a new one twin to the old.

A locker in a two wheel drive is the worst mistake I ever made. It only serves to break the rear end loose, guaranteeing that the downhill side of the truck will be in a snow bank when you need to put chains on.
    Rudd makes a tire chain I love, Instead of an inner side chain, it has a stiff cable with ball and socket coupler. The outer side chain is in two sections, hook at top, long chain at bottom passes through a ring, then yank to tighten, hook. When I had 2 wheel drive van I averaged 40 times a winter I used, I also had to remove them. That's 80 times a year I don't have to crawl under a sloppy truck!

I wouldn't loose it over $500 if it's a nice truck and it's going to do what you ask of it. Looks like a nice clean truck, white will stay cleaner longer and not show dings as much. I like it.

I haven't used this free service ....so I can't vouch for it.... I used a pay VIN check service before I bought our Pontiac to make sure it wasn't stolen, made from parts or had been in a flood. https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud...check/vincheck
    Last edited by tackit; 01-25-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Didn't Chevy have a lot of issues with the 6.0l?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Qualified & experienced at welding scrap metal

We have two, no engine problems so far.

Like the others have said, I would only buy a truck with 4X4. Also, an extended cab or crew cab is much better so you have room to store things out of the weather. With big engines, don't expect better MPG even with highway driving. I bought a 2002 dodge 1500 4X4 crew cab with the 5.9L gas last year.. With highway driving I get around 16MPG but anytime I hit the gas it drops. AVG is 12.9-12.5MPG mostly highway. On a long trip I avg around 13MPG.

The important thing is that it does what you need it to, even if it doesn't do all you WANT it to. Since you said you need it for better towing, keep in mind that when towing a heavy trailer if you get on some soft ground you will probably need 4X4.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    The important thing is that it does what you need it to, even if it doesn't do all you WANT it to. Since you said you need it for better towing, keep in mind that when towing a heavy trailer if you get on some soft ground you will probably need 4X4.
    The highways are pretty firm around here.

The 4x4 is nice to have, and I do use it when the roads get slick, but I don't think it is a necessity. Like I said before, I'm not sure it is worth the extra parts and maintenance to me. The 4x4 and 4 door options also increase the price. Enough to exceed my budget.
    A smaller 4x4 for transportation only has been considered in addition to the truck. Either that or a high mpg car for daily use.

Top of the need list is...A truck, and a truck that tows more than I can tow now. My Dakota is rated for 5k. I own some stuff too heavy for me to haul right now (even exceeding the rated capacity). The 2500HD is rated for 10,800.
    My name's not Jim....

We have about 7 of those in our fleet, they have served well. About the only things that have failed is water pumps, dash gauges, and heaters. All easy fixes with free recalls on some of them. It has plenty of weight and towing capacity. The 6.0 seems to be a very good setup, we abuse the heck out of those trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    The highways are pretty firm around here.
    Yep, highways are firm.. Ever try to pull a heavy trailer across wet grass.. Or sand..Or mud? Not trying to change your mind, I'm sure the truck would be fine for you. Just don't want you to buy it and wish you had 4X4. Get a nice tow rope to keep in the truck if you decide to get the 2wd, 1 1/8"-1 1/4" 3 stand nylon makes a nice tow rope with eyes spliced in the ends. Even our F450 4X4 needs help to get moving while pulling the trailer in some of the areas we work.

...Side note, I thought 2500s could tow more I think some of the new 1/2 tons are able to tow close to 10k now
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

If you buy it and decide you still need 4 wheelmdrive sometimes you can sell it and won't be out much.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    ...Side note, I thought 2500s could tow more I think some of the new 1/2 tons are able to tow close to 10k now
    I'm assuming that's with a receiver hitch. I've seen goosenecks weighing a lot more than that.

The Dodge 1500s I looked up were rated about 9k for towing. I can exceed that with one item on a heavy trailer. I'm looking towards the future when I have to move 3hrs away. Hauling more than one piece of equipment at a time will save a bundle in fuel and seat time.
    My name's not Jim....

I drive an 06 gmc 2500 6.0 and has 214k+ miles as my work-truck. it has weighed just under 10k lbs since new because of utility bed, ladder rack, welder, bottles, tools etc.

I inherited it (its a company truck) at about 200k miles and since then I have done regular maintenance and had the starter go out. before that, I believe it had tie-rod ends, leaf-springs, and an 1 1/2" block placed under the welder side of the truck lol. maybe front wheel bearings. no leaks and solid truck imo. im confident driving it anywhere.

I had an 04 1500 5.3l years ago that was burning oil at 85k miles (visibly), so my opinion of gm is mixed. one was crap, one is still great, I would only buy another if it was at a strictly low price
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

I have that exact truck but a 2003. I have 155,000 on it

It has been pretty great, no major issues just normal maintenance. The crazy thing is I am still on the original brakes and they still have like 30% left. I change oil every 5000 and it does not use any yet.

I am always hauling about 1000 lbs of stuff and I get 12mpg in the city. The best I have ever done empty on the highway is 14mpg, so I wouldn't count on much more than that. My brother bought a new van with the same engine and rearend gears, but with the gm 6 speed tranny and he does much better on gas. He did an empty roadtrip and was getting 18mpg. I think the tranny makes a big difference in the efficiency.

We don't get much snow, but I have chained up with heavy chains and I think I could go most anywhere I wanted to easily.

chevy 6.0s are great. The transfercases in some of the older ones were problems between t case motors and a thrust washer eating a whole from the inside out. My 02 crew cab 4wd gets around 11mpg daily short drives but get 10 mpg pulling 8000 lbs too. bought mine with 80000 now has 150000.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Truck has been removed from the website. I don't know whether that's good (their thinking I'll buy for the right price), or bad (it's already sold). As of friday afternoon, I was the only one to drive it according to the odometer. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
    My name's not Jim....

Bought it today.
    My name's not Jim....

Congratulations!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

Great ! They must have been following this posting too !

Awesome Be sure to take care of it so it lasts a long time.
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL