Looking at a new truck. Opinions... - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Looking at a new truck. Opinions...

After getting the driveshaft back in, I decided to check out the hitch and trailer plug. Hitch is a little light for me. Says 7500 lbs with 1000 lb tongue weight. It will do 12,000 with weight distributing setup, but I don't do that. Also, no 12+ at the plug. Looks like the wire is there and a fuse in the "stud #2" spot under the hood. Don't know where to go from there. I tried testing with the key off, on, and engine running. Still no juice.
    My name's not Jim....

I'll try to check if any of ours weren't factory wired for 12V+. I think the ones that weren't still have a 12 Ga Blue (brake) and a 12 ga red (charge) wire to the back. Not sure, I think the 7 pin plug kits just plugged directly into the harness and maybe a maxi fuse up front, but I can't remember yet. We do have weight dist hitches on all of ours, they bolt on directly with 6 bolts and no drilling. As for the flatbed decision, in Ca they hit you for commercial fees if DMV knows you don't have a std bed. I have a utility box, self installed, on mine and haven't been billed yet. If a CHP got picky it could backfire on me. I doubt you have those laws in your state, just a warning.
    Last edited by blackbart; 02-01-2014 at 10:57 PM.

I just sent a private message with your wiring diagrams, if they don't open send me a regular email address.

A flat bed can save you on your insurance. At least around here. My insurance on my trucks with a flat bed is cheaper than any of my other premiums.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    I dropped off the drive shaft today to get worked over. Now onto the next decision.

Spray in bed liner or flatbed? I've always wanted a flatbed. This truck is worthy, but the money's running out and I really don't want to have to build a flatbed this winter. I'm leaning towards the bed liner for now. I checked with a shop today and it looks like $600+tax to get sprayed with Xtreme Liner.
    Lok in to the Raptor spray on kit. it is easy to do and sticks well if you start with an etch or 2K primer. The 4 liter kit is about $120 on Amazon and comes with the gun. It may take 2 kits to do a truck bed since you will probably want multiple coats. I did an interior with 1/2 a kit.

A quick look at the 06 wiring looks like you can put in a plug n play 7 pin plug + a maxi fuse in the existing box in 10 minutes, there may already be a twist out false plug where the 7 pin fits in the bumper. A brake controller also simply plugs right into the box near the LH firewall. I may be wrong, I will check my books on Monday, but it appears it is all wired for a pin whether it has a tow package or not.

Installed my new P3 brake controller and solved my power problem today. Under the hood, stud #1 fuse is for the power at the trailer plug. Stud #2 is power for the brake controller.
    My name's not Jim....

Looks like a nice truck, Congratulations!

I love a good "white" truck, if you couldn't tell
    HF Special Mig
    Really Old Miller Stick

My 4" Cowl Hood Build
    (pic heavy)

Installed my new P3 brake controller and solved my power problem today. Under the hood, stud #1 fuse is for the power at the trailer plug. Stud #2 is power for the brake controller.
    You will love the P3 brake controller. Its all I put on any of my trucks. I have an 08 Dodge dually cab and chasis and a western hauler bed that I use to tow my 18k 40' fifth wheel with up and down the road. When I bought the truck it already had an el cheapo brake controller installed by the previous owner and my fifth wheel would push me around when braking. I put on my P3 tekonsha and what a difference it makes.
    Downhill Hillbilly. From the top to the bottom, stackin iron throwin fire

Little update.

Truck has been lowered 2" in the rear to level it out. I still can't really reach over the side.
    The mpg per tank started out ranging from 11.25-11.75. That kinda sucked. I've been adding Marvels mystery oil now for a while and the last 3 tanks have averaged 13.75 mpg. I still haven't done the 100k maintenance yet, but I'm hoping that will help too.
    Just placed an order for a Curt 15313 hitch. 16k towing and 2400 tongue weight. That should have me covered and then some.
    My name's not Jim....

Truck has been lowered 2" in the rear to level it out. I still can't really reach over the side.
    Hope that doesn't hurt the handling too much when your loaded heavy. I don't think 2" will change much, but wouldn't lower any of my trucks.

As for reaching into the bed.. Get used to climbing on the tire and over the bed side
    Are you going to add a toolbox on the truck? If you do, might think about adding a step to help reach things.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

It's still higher in the back than the front, but the factory rake was absolutely stupid. I have considered some wheel to wheel running boards/tubes so I can reach into the front of the bed. When the new hitch gets here, I might look into a custom bumper with a step in it.
    My name's not Jim....

It's still higher in the back than the front, but the factory rake was absolutely stupid. I have considered some wheel to wheel running boards/tubes so I can reach into the front of the bed. When the new hitch gets here, I might look into a custom bumper with a step in it.
    For the back, just drop the tailgate.. Take 3 steps back.. Run..Jump. Done and standing in the truck
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    For the back, just drop the tailgate.. Take 3 steps back.. Run..Jump. Done and standing in the truck
    I could do that with my Dakota. With this one, even after lowering it, the tailgate is still above my belly button.
    My name's not Jim....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Reac...AS-2/202015355

For $18 keep one in your garage and one in the cab behind the front seats.

I've got one and it's the handiest thing I've got in the garage. When I'm going to pick up equipment with my pickup and I know I'm going to have to go up, down, up, down, etc 15x+ times getting things squared away, I throw this in the bed and take it with me. Weighs nothing and works great.

Just drill 4 holes in the bed and install one of these. http://store.cyberweld.com/mibigbltuccd.html. It should lower your bed to a manageable height.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Just drill 4 holes in the bed and install one of these. http://store.cyberweld.com/mibigbltuccd.html. It should lower your bed to a manageable height.
    I've actually been trying to talk a guy out of a damaged 500 amp airpak with low hours for a few years now. He won't part with it, but he won't fix it either. It drives me nuts looking at it just sitting there. The truck it was bolted to rolled over so there is a lot of sheet metal damage, but the engine appears intact. Front panel is bent up bad, but the gauges and board look to have survived.
    My name's not Jim....

14.12 mpg this tank. Still haven't gotten around to the tune up.
    My name's not Jim....

Not bad at all. I've been thinking about new coils and injectors but may wait until I decide to replace the engine.
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

jdm,

I drive an 08 2500HD, crew cab, 4x4, 6.0L engine. I've had it for 2 years. It had 38K when I bought it, 58K now.

With the bed empty:
    It gets 14mpg in mixed city and highway driving. On the long haul, with a light foot and cruising at the posted speed limit, I've seen mileage as high as 16mpg.

With my welder and tools in the bed:

It's 11-12mpg in mixed city and highway.

I've had 3 issues with mine.

1) A sensor on the transmission failed 1 day after I bought it. Repaired for free by the dealership.

2) Stalled out under heavy acceleration a few months later. (St)Dealer said, "You've got aftermarket plugs and wires. They suck. You need to pay $400 for new ones". I said, "If they sucked, why didn't you all replace them when you did you wonderful 100+ point certified pre-owned inspection?" There was some grumbling and shuffling of feet...but they paid to replace all plugs, wires, and flush the fuel system. The repairs did seem to help with acceleration and throttle response. I've had no issues since switching back to factory OEM plugs and wires. There are lots of complaints about misfires and stalling online from owners with aftermarket plugs and wires in these trucks. Also some issues with failed connections in the throttle body wiring connectors. A bad connection can cause the engine to go into limp mode. Fixing a wiring fault is almost free. The throttle body replacement is ~$700.

3) Last week I was investigating a slow leak from one of my tires. Imagine my surprise to discover that I have 2 incorrect tires mounted on the truck. Two of my tires are load range 'C'. These trucks should have Load rating E tires. Load range 'c' is rated for about 2000 lbs @ 50 psi max pressure. Load range 'E' is about 3000 lbs at 80psi max pressure. Fixed the problem with one new tire and swapping one of the cheapo tires for the factory full sized spare. $240 out the door. Cheap compared to what could have happened.

Other than what I've mentioned above, its been a solid reliable truck. I replaced shocks about 5000 miles ago. Don't underestimate what a good set of shocks will do for ride and handling.

Double check your tires! especially if you're going to rig up the truck. I feel very fortunate that I didn't suffer a blowout in one of my tires. I always air them up according to the factory doorplate; 65psi front 80 psi rear. The load range C tires are maxed out at 50psi. It's easy to overlook. I did it for two years and so did at least 2 other mechanics who handled balancing and rotating tires on the truck.

Last comment. I just finished spraying the bed with Herculiner. It's similar to the raptor liner that a previous poster mentioned. It can be rolled on, but takes a long time. Spray is much better. A cheap underbody spray gun is $15. Masking film and tape are cheap too. Last summer I rolled and brushed the rear half of the bead floor and the tailgate. Took all afternoon to roll and brush two coats. Yesterday I sprayed the whole bed, walls, tailgate in 6 hours. some of it is 1 coat and some is now 3 coats.

The professionals around hear want $600-$800 to spray rhinoliner or lineX on an 8' truckbed. I did mine for about $250 for 2 gallons of herculiner and the masking and spraying supplies.

The only difference I see between the DIY bedliner spray and the professional is that the herculiner goes to a dull matt finish in a few months of exposure. The pro stuff seems to stay glossy and fancy-looking for longer. Looks don't matter to me in a work truck.

I've used Duplicolor's bedliner spray on a bumper before. I can't recommend it. It's much more like paint than a urethane rubber coating. It flaked off and wasn't nearly as tough as the Herculiner or rhinoliner I've used before on trucks.

14.12 mpg this tank. Still haven't gotten around to the tune up.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

2) Stalled out under heavy acceleration a few months later. (St)Dealer said, "You've got aftermarket plugs and wires. They suck. You need to pay $400 for new ones". I said, "If they sucked, why didn't you all replace them when you did you wonderful 100+ point certified pre-owned inspection?" There was some grumbling and shuffling of feet...but they paid to replace all plugs, wires, and flush the fuel system. .
    Why are plugs being replaced at low mileages (since it had aftermarket plugs and wires)? I replace plugs and wires at 80-90k intervals.
    Hobart Stickmate LX235AC/160DC
    Ranger 305G
    Victor 315 O/A rig

Hope to acquire in the next couple of years: Hypertherm PM45 and Dynasty 200DX

an excellent question that I never found the answer to. I bought the truck used with 38K miles on it. Why the previous owner felt the need to change the plugs and wires I do not know. I chalked it up to some people can't resist the urge to tinker with their toys.

Quote Originally Posted by JD955SC View Post
    Why are plugs being replaced at low mileages (since it had aftermarket plugs and wires)? I replace plugs and wires at 80-90k intervals.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Quote Originally Posted by A_DAB_will_do View Post
    an excellent question that I never found the answer to. I bought the truck used with 38K miles on it. Why the previous owner felt the need to change the plugs and wires I do not know. I chalked it up to some people can't resist the urge to tinker with their toys.
    Aftermarket spark plugs add lots of power, add an exhaust tip and you can't keep nice tires on the truck.
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    Aftermarket spark plugs add lots of power, add an exhaust tip and you can't keep nice tires on the truck.
    Naw, naw, naw, brah, you gotta cut out the perfectly good stainless steel factory exhaust system and put a cheapass Flowmaster pile o' crap on there and then it'll really be bitchin'.
    Hobart Stickmate LX235AC/160DC
    Ranger 305G
    Victor 315 O/A rig

Hope to acquire in the next couple of years: Hypertherm PM45 and Dynasty 200DX

Quote Originally Posted by little Jeep View Post
    Didn't Chevy have a lot of issues with the 6.0l?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, they got a little noisy (piston slap) and used a little more oil because of the slap (the first couple years anyway) but they were strong motors and will run a long time. Same engine platform as the 5.3 and other LS based engines. Very reliable and easy to maintain. We've had a small fleet of them that get used hard and never had anything major go wrong with them.