Looking at a new truck. Opinions... - Page 7
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Looking at a new truck. Opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
    The difference in cost between a decent 2" hitch and a 2.5" hitch is only about $30. Hopefully you are not planning on using some $20 u haul drawbar that is only rated for 5K lbs

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/6-rapid-hitch.aspx
    Nope, I just already have good cushioned drawbars with the correct drop for each of my trailers.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Nope, I just already have good cushioned drawbars with the correct drop for each of my trailers.
    Can you use an adapter with a cushioned drawbar?

Quote Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
    Can you use an adapter with a cushioned drawbar?
    The ones I have can. The cushion is inside the 2" tube.
    My name's not Jim....

So far, so good with the new truck. Can't really say I love it, but don't really have any complaints other than I lost 1-2 mpg from the old one, but it's understandable. 4x4 vs 2x4, new truck is 1000 lbs heavier, and has 60 hp more. We'll see how it tows eventually. Speaking of towing, new truck is rated for 13 k at the bumper and 13,900 in the bed vs the 10,800 of the old one.

I've been personalizing it a bit with tie down loops, toolbox, bed mat, and some additional USB charging ports.
    My name's not Jim....

Drug my dump trailer out of the mud before the ground got too soft so I could see how things would go towing with the new truck.

What the hell Chevy? Common hitch pins just barely fit due to the doubling plates on the receiver tube, can't find any safety chain hooks that fit the cut outs, and nowhere to hook my brake away cable. I think I'm going to modify this sumbitch. The factory brake controller seems to work and the back up camera gives a good view of the ball. Still a bit tough to hook up with no depth perception. I recon i'll get that figured out with a bit of practice. Nice to see they actually put a hitch on that matches the trucks towing capacity too.

Name:  IMG_20190323_191025.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20190323_191031.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20190323_191127.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  74.6 KB
    My name's not Jim....

I like the way you hooked the brake-away.. not long enough cable to run through the holes and clip onto itself?

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I like the way you hooked the brake-away.. not long enough cable to run through the holes and clip onto itself?
    A bit too close for comfort length wise. Plus, cable would be rubbing against multiple sharp corners.
    My name's not Jim....

I'm thinking of cutting out the bottom of the ovals and welding in 5/8" or 3/4" round stock so the hooks can pivot freely. As is, I think the hooks or cutouts will self destruct should a trailer ever actually come loose and jerk on them. Then weld a chain link on somewhere for the safety cable.

A little bit of a radius on the doubling plates would help the hitch pin fit better.

Will have to see how hard it is to remove the hitch when I get the truck back in the garage. Dump trailer inside charging up now.
    My name's not Jim....

Looks like 3/4" will fit the hooks and I have some hot rolled here.
    My name's not Jim....

I like that idea on welding the rod in there.... Hmmmm, might have to look at my ford and do something similar it has a horizontal plate with some stupid cutouts that are always a pain to get the spring clevis clips off!!! a bit different than your chev but I never really thought of modding it til you mentioned it Also found it odd that none of the newer trucks I have seen offer a designated place to hitch the brake-away line???

Thanks again for the idea!!!

If you look back to page 4 post #80, you can see the chain links I added on my old truck for the break away cable.
    My name's not Jim....

If you look back to page 4 post #80, you can see the chain links I added on my old truck for the break away cable.
    Oh yeah, I see two of em' now... I remember seeing the cool custom painted hitch

After thinking on it a bit I came up with a better solution. I welded in some smaller round stock. Then flared the holes. The end result is that all my hooks fit, swing feely, more meat in the hook area, and no sharp edges to start tearing.

I'm sure it won't show well in the pic, but we'll try anyway.
    Name:  IMG_20190329_025946.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  52.9 KB
    My name's not Jim....

New project. When mounting my weatherguard box, I couldn't get a clamp far enough forward to catch my last mounting holes. So I made some special brackets that fit the oval tie down hole in the stake pocket.
    Name:  IMG_20190513_231104.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190514_002223.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  65.6 KB

Got an appointment at linex next week too. I think that will finish off my mods to this truck.

ETA...
    Removed the fading door trim and badging on the tailgate. Then polished and waxed the whole thing a few weeks back. Looks better than ever.
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 05-14-2019 at 02:08 AM.
    My name's not Jim....

Looks like I get to make a new cusioned ball mount. The receiver is the same height as the old truck, but this new one just doesn't squat as much. Even after raising my dump trailer up an inch (splined axles) it just wasn't enough. Current ball mount with adapter sleeve is 3-1/4" drop. I figured 4" would be close enough empty and have room to squat to level with a full load. Convert-a-ball has a cushioned mount listed as a 4" drop with a 2-1/2" tube and ratings exceeding my towing capacity. Awesome, decided to treat myself (they ain't cheap at about $125). Ordered a new Curt ball too.

Not so fast. Ball mount arrived yesterday. The drop is actually closer to 4-5/8". This makes my trailers almost dead level empty. I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I think this thing is going back.

I have all the materials here to make my own. Just need to decide if I want to stick with a 3/4" flat piece, or step it up to 1" thick like the convert-a-ball.
    My name's not Jim....

Looks like I get to make a new cusioned ball mount. The receiver is the same height as the old truck, but this new one just doesn't squat as much. Even after raising my dump trailer up an inch (splined axles) it just wasn't enough. Current ball mount with adapter sleeve is 3-1/4" drop. I figured 4" would be close enough empty and have room to squat to level with a full load. Convert-a-ball has a cushioned mount listed as a 4" drop with a 2-1/2" tube and ratings exceeding my towing capacity. Awesome, decided to treat myself (they ain't cheap at about $125). Ordered a new Curt ball too.

Not so fast. Ball mount arrived yesterday. The drop is actually closer to 4-5/8". This makes my trailers almost dead level empty. I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I think this thing is going back.

I have all the materials here to make my own. Just need to decide if I want to stick with a 3/4" flat piece, or step it up to 1" thick like the convert-a-ball.
    Does a high rise ball solve the problem?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/Curt/C40033.html

They only seem to come in 1" or 2" rise increments, so I'm not sure about how you'll get rid of that 3/8", but if we're trying to get that accurate, you'll need a different mount for new tires vs nearly worn out tires...
    Who is John Galt?

The problem was that I was trying to go from 3-1/4" to 4". Right or not, I could live with it. 3-1/4" to 4-5/8" was just too far off for what I paid. $20? Sure, I'd give it a try. $125? Nope, that's going back.

What I really need to do it to load up my truck and see what it takes to squat. The 500 lbs I had on the ball was barely noticeable. Maybe 1/2". I'd like like to know what about 1500 lbs on the ball and the same in the bed looks like.
    My name's not Jim....