Econotig Runaway Flame Soon To Be Resolved
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Econotig Runaway Flame Soon To Be Resolved

This was a productive day for Econotig owners, particularly for those of us having problems with a runaway torch: no flame control. Began by talking to Tech Support at Miller (1-920-734-9821 Ext. #3610), which was very helpful and productive. Resulting from this contact learned that regardless of model and year bought (mine was purchased in 1996), go to http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php and request Econotig KD381087--this is the one you want, even if your serial number is different…this is the latest according to Kirk Kopitzke of Tech Support. Cutting to the chase: Visually, I found that SUPPRESSOR 1 and SUPPRESSOR 2 on the PC board (page 34) were cooked. These are hooked in parallel (connected in shunt) across RC 4 and RC 5, along with Q13, an SCR (silicon-controlled-rectifier). I suspect, also, that Q13 is the culprit, which may have taken out the suppressors. When I again get a controlled flame, I’ll report back.

Re: Econotig Runaway Flame Soon To Be Resolved

So parts of the snubber assembly were burnt out ?
    Did you notice the parts changes on the first few pages,page 4 and such, a few voltage snubbers were added.

Lincoln makes Econotig??????????????

Rex
    Last edited by rode2rouen; 11-23-2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: typo

No, Miller makes Econotig.

Blue Welders, I'm not familiar with the term "voltage snubbers." Would that be another way of saying suppressors? Today I made a purchase for the repair parts. Fortunately, I won't have to take out a loan...I bought 2 each Miller Parts No. 164-412 for $1.97 each. Miller originally designated these parts as suppressors, but this nomenclature has changed, now, to VR (short for varistor, according to Brian of Miller, Tech Support). For anyone with a very old Econotig, like mine purchased in 1996, there was a little problem converting old numbers, which some are obsolete (and others are just wrong), to new ones. But, Miller is good: Between Tech Support--talking to Jeff, Kirk and Brian--and, Parts conferring with Terry (while Charlie indirectly getting involved in the loop when RJK called him for parts confirmation, with a reply in the negative), I got the order into RJK, a San Diego Miller dealership. for the above parts purchase. My compliments to all who contributed their share for a job well done! Now, all I have to do is pray that this will do the trick.

They used to use resistors and capacitor sets to suppress the voltage spikes,they "snubbed" the spikes.
    Some old timers still call the varistors snubbers, because the can serve a similar purpose.
    I've found that varistors are far more capable , though when they fail they usually fail shorted.
    Varistors are what are used in the power strips, that say they have surge suppressors.
    There are probably one or two, in many of the larger electronic devices you own.
    Glad you are making headway.

Smile Re: Econotig Runaway Flame Soon To Be Resolved

Here’s the bottom line and the final entry on my Miller Econotig problem (it is now fixed and operates perfectly). Found that both Suppressors (there are two) were bad (they fried/burnt-up) that protect Q13 (SCR). Importantly for you to know is the fact that the part number (Miller Part Number: 164-418) found in the Econotig Manual is incorrect (according to Miller Technical Support). The correct part number to purchase is Miller Part Number: 164-412.

The suppressors in the new bags are physically described as: Miller SUPPRESSOR, TRANSIENT 420. V, 5W BI-POL, 164412, QTY: 1, 12/01/09 (I would interpret this to mean that the contained part is a suppressor; it protects against transient voltage spikes up to and including 420 volts; the amount of protection in watts equals 5; it does not require polarization, or observing polarity; the part number is 164412; quantity is one; manufactured on December 1, 2009). I wired 3-each in parallel to effectively triple the protection. Works well.

Thanks to all who gave input...much appreciated.

Sorry to say, varistors have a useful life span, every time they conduct, their life will shorten.

I've never noticed if varistors in parallel had a longer life.
    If they do, that would run you out to 2055.

I know this is an old thread but its worth a try. I have a similar problem except I have minimum amps. Its like its set as low as possible but still start an arc. I have used an Ohm meter and the foot pedal and the amp adjuster seem to be working. I have the circuit board out and everything looks good nothing burnt or broken. In this thread he mentions Q13 and the varisistor that are next to it are they R52 an R53? I was given this machine so I have been playing with it so see if I can make it work.

Just realized this was in the Lincoln threads not sure why.

hi , i got exactly the same issue with mine except that i have a couple more parts on the control board to replace that i can't read the numbers because to much damaged.

so if you have the oportunity to read these numbers marked on the parts in the red cicles, i'll be so happy to know them to be able to restart my old TIG .

the parts i want to know are: C35 and specially D22

by the way if you kno the D22 diode order number to buy , or type of diode , zener , shotkey , or regular , i'l appreciate to know also.

thanks in advance!!

techno.
    Attached Images Attached Images