Welding table picture thread - Page 23
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Re: Welding table picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jake115 View Post
    It's so nice got all the accessories it does everything I want it to do

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Enjoy it and keep posting your projects.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

Yep, nice and sturdy... that table is going to last you for years.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

What are the dimensions of that table top?

First Welding project all out of scrap metal drew it up on a knapkin not bad for a 19 year old student

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shimanek View Post
    Mine grows an inch a week at least....glad to have a riding mower and be able to weld to keep it working.
    It has to to keep from drowning ! You guys get as much water as we do ! I get 220/250 " per year at the house.

Quote Originally Posted by gatemaster View Post
    What are the dimensions of that table top?
    the table is 43 inches high 4ft by 3

the table is 43 inches high 4ft by 3

One thing I would suggest is replacing those wooden slats below for something that doesn't burn .... sheet metal, expanded metal, slats. You don't want a spark sitting there and catching fire after you leave the shop. I'd also get in the habit of storing the torch tanks etc. away from the table. Some day you will get in a hurry and start welding before you move them away. Sparks around flammable tanks are a bad thing.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    One thing I would suggest is replacing those wooden slats below for something that doesn't burn .... sheet metal, expanded metal, slats. You don't want a spark sitting there and catching fire after you leave the shop. I'd also get in the habit of storing the torch tanks etc. away from the table. Some day you will get in a hurry and start welding before you move them away. Sparks around flammable tanks are a bad thing.
    My 220 plug is not even near the table so I gotta move the whole thing to my plug and I'm not worried about it I mostly do everything in position flat. It's in my garage, I'll prob do it later on but it's not my priority right now.

Hello Guys.
    i have a very basic question about a table build.

I have two steel plates, measuring 67”x12”x ˝” thik . I would like to cut it into 4 sections, measuring 1’x3’ each, and use it as My table top.
    Each section will need to have 5/8” holes with 2” between centers (i will also have 1"or 2" space between the plates. have not decided yet).
    Each plate will have 85 holes in total. per plate. that's a lot.
    so the question is, what is the better way to go?
    give it to a local shop to cut the holes using CNC plasma/ water jet? or rent a mag drill and spend a weekend (or two) in my garage?
    putting aside the associated cost and time, i'm also interested to know if the the holes cut by a plasma (or water jet) will be adequate for the application.

Thanks in advance.

Meir.

If the pieces you have are 67" long you can only get 2 pieces 33 7/16" if you cut them in half, you will lose at least 1/8" for the cut.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Thinking out of the box, would it be possible to use round hole grating for the top? They make it up to 3/8 thick and in many different hole sizes. You could cut Habor Freight f clamps off and weld 1" X 1" long round stock to the bottom of the clamps, drill and tap 1/2" holes in 1" round stock for 1/2" studs that fit through the 3/8 grating's 1/2" holes, use a washer and thumb nut to hold the clamps down, or get fancy and drill holes in the bottom of the round stock and weld in acme threaded studs.

It could possibly be cheaper, faster and easier than having holes done by a shop. The grating I am assuming would lay flat or be easier to get to lay flat on your table's frame also.

It would be great if a member who lived close to a business that sold the grating could check how flat the grating is. I would build one myself if the price of the grating was affordable and its flatness was on the money.

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/pe...=avc:AV-127122

you are correct.
    Original plan was to go with 30” length (so in my mined I had 7” cutoff piece) don’t know why, but when I set down making the drawing, I went with 3’.
    Will readjust measurements and will need to recalculate holes number and locations.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    I already got the 1/2” plates, so I’m trying to work with what I got. 30” wide table will work fine for me.
    Last edited by Meir; 05-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.

I would use as much of the plate as I could, a little wider sometimes comes in handy.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

23 pages of great ideas, and even better advice on how to, and how, or what Not to.

This thread has immensely helped me redirect thoughts of a new welding table..

Thanks fellas....
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Meir View Post
    Hello Guys. I have two steel plates, measuring 67”x12”x ˝” thik . I would like to cut it into 4 sections, measuring 1’x3’ each, and use it as My table top.
    Each section will need to have 5/8” holes with 2” between centers (i will also have 1"or 2" space between the plates. have not decided yet).
    Each plate will have 85 holes in total. per plate. that's a lot.
    so the question is, what is the better way to go?
    give it to a local shop to cut the holes using CNC plasma/ water jet? or rent a mag drill and spend a weekend (or two) in my garage?
    putting aside the associated cost and time, i'm also interested to know if the the holes cut by a plasma (or water jet) will be adequate for the application.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't think having the holes cut by plasma would be good enough. Maybe water jet, but I'm not sure. Using those clamps and such in the holes requires some pretty decent tolerances from what I've seen, and I think you'd be better off drilling the holes just to be safe. You could always have a company make smaller holes for you so you can ream them out to the right size with a twist drill. That'd get the placement really spot on the money and leave you with just the cleanup.

Why put the holes so close together, though? 4" OC or 6" OC will work fine for 99% of what you might do, and leaves the plate more rigid. I've seen a lot of thin plate warp when covered with holes because it ruins the structural integrity of the piece, relieving tension put in at the steel mill. The fewer the holes, the better, in my estimation.

Don't forget that you'll have plenty of reach with standard c-clamps, so if you have a 1.5" gap between the plates, you should be able to reach almost to the center with any run-of-the-mill clamp. A line of 5/8" holes down the centerline of the 12"x33" plates would give you plenty of reach no matter where you were on the table. You could build a whole range of supports, struts and other doodads that work off the slots between the plates, and probably come out cheaper than buying the expensive stuff from Stronghand, and the like.

Were it me, I'd be sorely tempted to have the local water jet company cut the steel similar to how Fireball Tool has his hydraulic table cut. With a 1.5" slot going up the middle, you could reach wherever you wanted with standard clamps, have all the support you need, and save some weight. Of course, on a small table, that wouldn't be the most cost effective route since you can get bars of 1/2"x3" cold-rolled for dirt cheap compared to having some plate cut special.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I don't think having the holes cut by plasma would be good enough. Maybe water jet, but I'm not sure. Using those clamps and such in the holes requires some pretty decent tolerances from what I've seen, and I think you'd be better off drilling the holes just to be safe. You could always have a company make smaller holes for you so you can ream them out to the right size with a twist drill. That'd get the placement really spot on the money and leave you with just the cleanup.

Why put the holes so close together, though? 4" OC or 6" OC will work fine for 99% of what you might do, and leaves the plate more rigid. I've seen a lot of thin plate warp when covered with holes because it ruins the structural integrity of the piece, relieving tension put in at the steel mill. The fewer the holes, the better, in my estimation.

Don't forget that you'll have plenty of reach with standard c-clamps, so if you have a 1.5" gap between the plates, you should be able to reach almost to the center with any run-of-the-mill clamp. A line of 5/8" holes down the centerline of the 12"x33" plates would give you plenty of reach no matter where you were on the table. You could build a whole range of supports, struts and other doodads that work off the slots between the plates, and probably come out cheaper than buying the expensive stuff from Stronghand, and the like.

Were it me, I'd be sorely tempted to have the local water jet company cut the steel similar to how Fireball Tool has his hydraulic table cut. With a 1.5" slot going up the middle, you could reach wherever you wanted with standard clamps, have all the support you need, and save some weight. Of course, on a small table, that wouldn't be the most cost effective route since you can get bars of 1/2"x3" cold-rolled for dirt cheap compared to having some plate cut special.
    thank you so much for the information. definitely some things to consider. especially the number of holes.
    so first, just to make it clear, i already have the plates (got them cheap on craigslist), so i'm trying to get the best out of them.
    i've contacted a local fabrication shop that offers plasma cutting and other processes. the guy suggested (just like you) that plasma cutting will not be good for this application.
    he quoted me for CNC drilling, $1.90 per hole (150 holes 5/8” x U$1.90 = U$285.00). sounds very reasonable to me. i could also have him chamfer the top edge of the holes, and drill the extra holes i need for the monster tool studs i'm planning to use to attach the plates to the frame.
    but like you said, maybe i do not need that many holes.
    i will play again with my design and will go from there.
    on another note. i also have 3.5"x1/4" square tubing that i was planning to use for part of the frame, but it looks a bit of an overkill for me.
    what is the common wall thickness used on a sturdy table with a 1/2" top? i will probably go for a combination of 3x3 and 2x3, but how thick should i go.
    thanks in advance.
    Meir.

My local rental place charges $50/day for a mag drill, and you need to provide your own bits. The annular cutters make for quick work and a clean hole, but getting set up and making sure your hole spacing is even can take quite awhile. Still, it's no problem to drill 100 holes in a few hours if you have everything laid out in advance. One "trick" is to rent the tool on saturday morning so you can use it all that day and all sunday when the store's closed and you can't return it. They can't charge you for that extra day because they're closed....

A line of holes down the middle of the plate would do well enough. Or, if you go with 4" OC, you'll have plenty of reach from the edges as well as the center area for any kind of jigs you might need. I could see it working very nice and looking good, too.

Wall thickness on the frame? Use what you've got. I've had no problem using 1/8" wall for any table frames I've built or worked on. My current bench has 1/4" wall angle and tube. It's a thorough bear to move, too!

If you've got the stuff and don't mind using it up for this project rather than saving it for something down the road, go for it. It never hurts to have a robust frame that'll resist deflection. The only downside to a really heavy table is that they don't move easily and hurt like the dickens when you bump into them! :O

Some of the less generous rental stores will charge you two days on a weekend rental.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    My local rental place charges $50/day for a mag drill, and you need to provide your own bits. The annular cutters make for quick work and a clean hole, but getting set up and making sure your hole spacing is even can take quite awhile. Still, it's no problem to drill 100 holes in a few hours if you have everything laid out in advance. One "trick" is to rent the tool on saturday morning so you can use it all that day and all sunday when the store's closed and you can't return it. They can't charge you for that extra day because they're closed....

A line of holes down the middle of the plate would do well enough. Or, if you go with 4" OC, you'll have plenty of reach from the edges as well as the center area for any kind of jigs you might need. I could see it working very nice and looking good, too.

Wall thickness on the frame? Use what you've got. I've had no problem using 1/8" wall for any table frames I've built or worked on. My current bench has 1/4" wall angle and tube. It's a thorough bear to move, too!

If you've got the stuff and don't mind using it up for this project rather than saving it for something down the road, go for it. It never hurts to have a robust frame that'll resist deflection. The only downside to a really heavy table is that they don't move easily and hurt like the dickens when you bump into them! :O
    LOL!
    so first, i guess in my area the price is double. and they do not rent on saturdays at all.
    beside that, i think i will take your recommendation and go with the 4" pattern, and no space between the plates. so between the rental cost and the drill bit (time is no factor as i'm hobbyist) im looking on less then $100 difference.
    but i'll get perfect lines.
    as for the material i do not have enough for all the parts i need, so i will probably go with 3/16 wall.
    thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Meir View Post
    LOL!
    so first, i guess in my area the price is double. and they do not rent on saturdays at all.
    beside that, i think i will take your recommendation and go with the 4" pattern, and no space between the plates. so between the rental cost and the drill bit (time is no factor as i'm hobbyist) im looking on less then $100 difference.
    but i'll get perfect lines.
    as for the material i do not have enough for all the parts i need, so i will probably go with 3/16 wall.
    thanks for the help guys.
    No saturday rentals? Guess they figured that trick out!

Space between the plates? I think that's a good idea. Makes the table a little larger, gives you room for clamping from an infinite number of positions, and looks cool. Combining that with some holes throughout the plate.... yummy!

Make sure you post pics as you get things together. I like seeing how folks tackle their builds because you never know what you'll learn.

My buddy runs a dodge truck reclamation and parts business. He's made himself a table out of old dodge truck parts. He is adding wheels to it in the next week or so, so he can move in and out of his shop. Mostly for grinding, and cutting of parts. Made good use of scrap truck parts
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by T man; 05-26-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Hey guys im preping to build a welding table top with 6" or 8" bar stock with a gap over the top of my free Motorcycle lift, what grade of bar would you choose if these were your choices
    A-36, A529-50, A572-50, A588, C1018

looking for good hardness without breaking the bank.

gonna compare prices of bar vs plate pieces once i figure out the best bang for the buck on surface hardness

A572-50 should be the best for the money...
    I don't post much, but I read this forum every day...

4x8 Bulltear Gantry Kit CNC Plasma
    Hypertherm 85
    Millermatic 251
    Dynasty 350
    Turnpro 7x12 Miter Bandsaw

...one packed garage ><

https://www.facebook.com/ApocalypseFabrication

This will ultimately be a welding table but when I finish I will use it as my office desk.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by speedrr View Post
    This will ultimately be a welding table but when I finish I will use it as my office desk.

that just how my table top is. i can cut one plate out and weld in another one if one gets damaged. across the top i have only .005 variance between the 3/8 plate. slots to use for clamping.
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

Quote Originally Posted by speedrr View Post
    That wont sag in the middle.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A