AWS-CWI part B question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

AWS-CWI part B question

hi
    could any body help me in some question on cwi part B because I become confused

1- what is the maximum convexity of a 5/16" fillet weld ?
    A-1/16
    b-1/8
    c-3/16
    d-5/32

as per part B book my answer is A because in book written IF W>= 5/16" the convexity equal to 1/16
    But the correct answer is B 1/8 how coms ??

2- what is the minimum and maximum groove angle and root opening of a B-U2-S joint in the as fit up condition ?

A-20-30 and 5/8 - 11/16
    B- 15-25 and 9/16 - 7/8
    C- 15 - 40 and 9/16 - 15/16
    D- 10-35 and 1/16 - 1/4

please help me to understand this question because my exam on 18 may

thanks in advance

Re: AWS-CWI part B question

1 Note: The effective throat of a weld shall be defined as the minimum distance from the root of the joint to its face, with or without a deduction
    of 1/8 in [3 mm], less any convexity.

Question (2) I answer tomorrow .

Question (2)
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks a lot for quick response
    regarding q2 I understand it now but q1 still doesn't know how the correct ans is 1/8

thanks

@sam906,
    look in this pdf.1234-AWS D1.1-2010.pdf

sam906,

STOP!!!

If you try to answer the "Part B" questions with answers from AWS D1.1 you are going to FAIL!

That is why "Part B" says 1/16 instead of 1/8.

"Part B" is a code that AWS made for the CWI test. It has slight variations from codes used in the industry.

If you look closely you will see other differences as well, such as with the acceptance levels of undercut. The AWS D1.1 answer is not the same as the "Part B" answer (At least it was not when I tested).

They do this to test one's ability to use a code they are not used to.

So for the "Part B" test, forget everything you know about AWS D1.1, shut and put away AWS D1.1 and use "Part B" and the answers within.

jrw159

Quote Originally Posted by jrw159 View Post
    sam906,

STOP!!!

If you try to answer the "Part B" questions with answers from AWS D1.1 you are going to FAIL!

That is why "Part B" says 1/16 instead of 1/8.

"Part B" is a code that AWS made for the CWI test. It has slight variations from codes used in the industry.

If you look closely you will see other differences as well, such as with the acceptance levels of undercut. The AWS D1.1 answer is not the same as the "Part B" answer (At least it was not when I tested).

They do this to test one's ability to use a code they are not used to.

So for the "Part B" test, forget everything you know about AWS D1.1, shut and put away AWS D1.1 and use "Part B" and the answers within.

jrw159
    thanks allot

ok now I want to know the correct answers for both question as per part B book

up up

sam906,
    I do not have access to my old Part B book. I tested in 2003 and it is at my home in Colorado. I am currently working in Tulsa OK.

From your original post it appears that you have your answer for your first question. For your second question, look at the B-U2-S detail in Part B and your answer is there.

jrw159