Skateboard Rack
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Skateboard Rack

Skateboard Rack

Last summer I was hired to build a skateboard rack for a local high school. I was provided with an old step-squat weight rack that they were wanting to get rid of, so the majority of the materials(2 inch square tubing) came from that.

I forgot to take a picture of the original weight rack before I cut it up, but it was a Champion brand that looked something similar to this picture I found online...

Anyway, here is the skateboard rack partially complete, mocked up for photos...

Here is another shot...you can also see leftovers from the weight rack on the ground there next to my transmission...

Here is a close-up of some skateboards resting on the rack...

I drilled 7 holes through each leg and inserted 14 pieces of 1/2" rod through at equal lengths for both sides and welded it in place. This allows for 14 total(7 per side) skateboards and/or folded razor scooters. The students bring their own chains which they wrap around the trucks of the board and lock it in between the two crossbars of the rack.

So finally here it is complete...

I scuffed up the original black powdercoating and shot the whole thing with some rustoleum hammered black paint.

Re: Skateboard Rack

Very cool idea! Haven't seen anyone do a skateboard rack before, not for a school ..... usually it's bike racks. Nice work.

Thanks SpyGuy.

Yeah, skateboarders don't usually get much respect, so it's cool that a school of all places recognizes the need for this rack.

cant see but it sounds like you need someholes in the base so the rack can be anchored down. otherwise someone can make off with 14 boards and some tubing...

^ I hear you. That would definitely be necessary if the rack were out in the public, but in this case they keep it within the campus where it can be monitored. And what they do is they keep it locked up in the gymnasium at night and then cart it out in the morning for use only during school hours.

Only issue I see is how to secure the boards to the rack, I doubt a skater will just leave his board unsecured less he be walking home.
    MAC WS1110 Mig Welder

Woodworker Hobbyist
    Delta 10" Table Saw, Delta Planer, Bosch and Craftsman Routers, 48" Craftsman Lathe, drill press, 1/2" hand and cordless drills, scroll saw, skill saws, jig saws, etc, and too many hand tools to list, lol

Suggestion? Chain links welded to the frame so the boards can be locked down more securely.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRodeoCC View Post
    Only issue I see is how to secure the boards to the rack, I doubt a skater will just leave his board unsecured less he be walking home.
    Quote Originally Posted by EC7Five View Post
    The students bring their own chains which they wrap around the trucks of the board and lock it in between the two crossbars of the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyGuy View Post
    Suggestion? Chain links welded to the frame so the boards can be locked down more securely.
    Do you mean lengths of chain, or just single links used as a locking point? A similar idea was considered, using either U-bolts or D-rings. Ran out of time though, and in the end it was decided that the students bringing their own chains and locking between the crossbars would suffice.

Good suggestions guys, there are ways it can be improved, sure. Like I said originally though, this rack was completed last summer. So it has been in use already for about 6-7 months and I've been told it has been working out excellent for them.

I was thinking D-rings on the center frame. Good to know it's being well-used, though.