Century 130 mig welder - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Century 130 mig welder

I recently bought a Century 130, and first used it last weekend. This was done with flux core wire. I doubt I'll ever add a bottle and run gas since this meets my needs as is.

This sure runs smoother than the HF 90-AC I've been using for occasional farm repairs. (But it can't take the place of the Wards/Century 230AC for big stuff).

First, thanks to Dodis for sending me the manual! I've spent hours trying to absorb everything.

Here's my first project with it, one typical for me. I repaired the rusted and cracked seat of a 30 year old tractor I just bought. After welding the upper and lower sides and grinding the upper welds near flush, I wasn't able to crack it again by flexing it with all my weight on it. Hopefully its good for a few more years.

I learned one thing after I finished this project - Dodi's additions to the Century manual include a supplement that clarifies how to wire it for DCEN. Since the prior owner left flux core in it, I assumed he knew more than me and it was set up right. Nope. I completed this project with it wired DCEP, before I went back to the manual one more time and discovered how it should be. Even so, it sure runs nicer than the HF-90. I think I'm going to like this welder.

Name:  P1740645rWeldYM186DSeat.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  46.0 KB
    Last edited by California; 01-12-2014 at 04:23 AM.

California,

Glad you got it working good! Glad I could help too!

Now I just need to get out to the shop because I still owe BlackDeath a pic of the labels inside the welder. I'll CC you, California, as well and add it to my PDF for future requests. Lot's of family stuff going on keeping me out of the shop lately...

Mike "Dodis"
    Mike "Dodis"

Century 135 MIG
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC (working on DC converter) (SCORE! got a H/F box off eBay for this one too) now gotta get busy!!!
    Harbor Freight 130 TIG
    Oxy/Propane Victor Torch

solar/century 2150 90/110 argon

Hello everyone I see you guys are good at working on centery circut boards I have never done any board work. Brought my welder in first time they replaced power cord i didn't think that was the problem seeing as it turned on before i brought it in Problem was, just a light or no spark at the wire. Got the welder home worked once put it away five months and its doing the same thing. Brought it back and now they say its the heatsink 880 217 666 The heat sink is hard to find and the ones I found are 270.00 to 570.00 there is a place that rebuilds the board for 105.00 I was wondering is this something one of you guys could teach me to fix? I already have 100.00 for the power cord and another 50.00 to check it the second time so I would like to try and fix this
    My self.
    Century 2150 90/110 gas nice welder when it works.
    Thank you,
    Rob

=dodis;3564531]California,

Glad you got it working good! Glad I could help too!

Now I just need to get out to the shop because I still owe BlackDeath a pic of the labels inside the welder. I'll CC you, California, as well and add it to my PDF for future requests. Lot's of family stuff going on keeping me out of the shop lately...

Mike "Dodis"[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by stonecold1rob; 03-27-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Stonecold1rob,

Don't know how much help I'd be on the circuit board, haven't done much more than re-solder corroded connections on other things. Haven't had to touch my welder's internals. Though I did take a look a while back. Thought my solenoid had gone out, so I was opening it up to check it out (turns out I had the hose pinched behind the tank when I had to move it )

But I did take the promised pictures inside the door for California and anyone else that may need them. Turns out, there was no amp and wirespeed chart, just a circuit diagram (already in the PDF I send out). I also took pics of the capacitor, in case anyone needs to replace it or is wanting similar for the HF upgrades. And a pics of the 30amp fuse, just FYI.

Mike "Dodis"

Name:  Century 130 capacitor-e.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  23.6 KB
    Name:  Fuse-BLN 30A-e.jpg
Size:  102.5 KB
    Mike "Dodis"

Century 135 MIG
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC (working on DC converter) (SCORE! got a H/F box off eBay for this one too) now gotta get busy!!!
    Harbor Freight 130 TIG
    Oxy/Propane Victor Torch

Just picked up the same welder and it originally had aluminum Mig wire it it.. I have changed it to flux wire but have no manual or application chart to check the polarity or give me any baseline settings.

I'm about 10 years out of the last time I welded anything and that was just a high school autoshop tack weld project so any help to a true newbie would be appreciated. feel free to email me if you have any pictures or pdfs of the charts or manuals. MikeyHaderer(AT)gmail.com

Hello dodis, was wondering what welder your pics are from, looks like some of the same parts that are in my Solar 2150 does yours have the heat sink circuit board? I re soldered a resistor on mine. It seems to be working. There are four white and four black wires on my heat sink white on one side black on the other is that the same on yours?

QUOTE=dodis;5664171]Stonecold1rob,
    Don't know how much help I'd be on the circuit board, haven't done much more than re-solder corroded connections on other things. Haven't had to touch my welder's internals. Though I did take a look a while back. Thought my solenoid had gone out, so I was opening it up to check it out (turns out I had the hose pinched behind the tank when I had to move it )

But I did take the promised pictures inside the door for California and anyone else that may need them. Turns out, there was no amp and wirespeed chart, just a circuit diagram (already in the PDF I send out). I also took pics of the capacitor, in case anyone needs to replace it or is wanting similar for the HF upgrades. And a pics of the 30amp fuse, just FYI.

Mike "Dodis"

Name:  Century 130 capacitor-e.jpg
Size:  23.6 KB
    Name:  Fuse-BLN 30A-e.jpg
Size:  102.5 KB[/QUOTE]

Hello to all. I obtained this Century 130 Mig welder and I will like to know if anyone has the manual that can share it on a PDF.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PM me your email address and I'll forward the manual and notes described above, that Dodis sent me a few years ago.

Here's the essence of the manual. The rest of it is generic to any mig welder.

Name:  Century130-Chart.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  103.0 KB
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

My welding work area is 50 ft from the locked storage where I kept the welder, so to make it more portable I put it on this wheeled walker. I should have used one slightly wider. Because I had to force this one slightly wider every time I wanted to open the welder's door.

Name:  KIMG1227rWelderCart.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  304.3 KB

My most recent project with it was to weld a trailer ball mount on my tractor's loader bucket. The Century worked well for projects like this and the tractor seat repair in a prior post.

Name:  KIMG2005rHitchOnYM186Dbucket.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  198.0 KB
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.