is it ok to use the plasma cutter on my car? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: is it ok to use the plasma cutter on my car?

The crank sensor broke off in the bell housing on my truck this week. I tried to drill it out and put a screw in it to pull it out and the screw broke. So I blew through it with my plasma cutter. She's running now!
    Where would I be without these wonderful tools lol
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

My dealing with Ford is over after my issues.....and Fords lack of support....with the 6.0 diesel. Then the fact that they wouldn't give me crap for a trade in on a low mileage clean truck of their own brand towards a new one. Dodge Ram gave me a great trade on the Ford....and now I've got 800 ft. lbs of Cummins diesel pulling me around!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Just another reason not to buy Ford.

Begs the question is that just a blanket way of disallowing any and all electronic component failures? "You or someone must have welded on the vehicle. Warranty coverage denied.".

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I think you all have missed the most important safety concern. Don't use the plasma cutter on the gas tank. Geez guys!
    Is it safe to use a plasma cutter to remove exhaust manifold nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by mplieb View Post
    Is it safe to use a plasma cutter to remove exhaust manifold nuts?
    the plasma cutter throws nice hot sparks of molten metal far distances, so anything flammable close by most likley will go up in flames...with that said yes you can, but have a 2nd person with a fire extinguisher ready to go...

Its a lot safer then with a O/A torch
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

As an observation, I've noticed plasma doesn't respect boundaries between metals as well as O/A does. If you're watching what you're doing you can split a nut off a bolt without any or much harm to the bolt. Plasma tends to cut every thing in the path of the stream. Cutting a nut off a bolt you will likely cut the heck out of the bolt and maybe even whatever is bolted up.

Everything has a place.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I cut every bolt off holding the plow mount to our last truck. I only cut into the mount/frame twice out of all the bolts with the plasma cutter.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

the best answer is, disconnect battery. ecm if you want to go to trouble but not ever done myself. 35 years body work in dealers, and yes, have smoked 2 dodge radios and one ecm. forgot to disconnect batteries.
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    As an observation, I've noticed plasma doesn't respect boundaries between metals as well as O/A does. If you're watching what you're doing you can split a nut off a bolt without any or much harm to the bolt. Plasma tends to cut every thing in the path of the stream. Cutting a nut off a bolt you will likely cut the heck out of the bolt and maybe even whatever is bolted up.

Everything has a place.
    +1

I've used O/A to burn out a broken tap using the pure oxygen stream without damaging the metal it was in at all. Can't do that with plasma, but then again, there are times where that indiscriminate behavior is an advantage too.

I don't give a damn if your're changing the wiper blades or working on a window.. Disconnect the battery and clean the stuff up/reconnect when you're done.
    Don't be a slacker. Check the oil, brake fluid, power steering and belts while your uglyazz is in there. That's courteous to the victim and might be appreciated. I even check the air in the tires real quick.

Disconnecting the battery is an old wives tale. If you fried something in the car you had the ground in the wrong spot.

I always move, plastic bags, magazines, gas cans, to the front seat
    when using my plasma cutter..

Charl

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    . I even check the air in the tires real quick.
    I usually wax the car also.
    And armor all the tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Bare metal is the best place to attach your ground.

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Disconnecting the battery is an old wives tale. If you fried something in the car you had the ground in the wrong spot.
    But it doesn't hurt a thing and disconnect +& - any equation you can take away the better

I will sometimes disconnect the battery because I'm afraid of air bags. Replacement cost more than most of my vehicles.
    ---Meltedmetal

I have cut and welded on thousands of cars. Thousands of modern trucks are used every day as welding work platforms.

Old thread, but it got me to thinkin' about why I smoked my PCM. I'm thinking it might have been when tacking with AC. I'm pretty sure that the puter is diode protected, but I'm not sure that works when running an AC current thru the frame.

I haven't welded on 1000 trucks, all's I had to do was weld on 1 to fry a puter

My son took the battery out of his brand new (4800 miles) F350 to jump a gen that they couldn't get to with the truck. Jumped the gen installed the battery back in the truck and nothing totally dead. He called ford and they towed it in and called and said the body control module went bad, so it can happen anytime, anywere welding or plasma cutting on it or not.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Lots of stuff goes wrong with simple r&r of batteries.

How is it a guy works on 1 and has a problem and someone worked on hundreds,,, really 1000's never?

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    How is it a guy works on 1 and has a problem and someone worked on hundreds,,, really 1000's never?
    I am a true disaster magnet

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I am a true disaster magnet
    My wife is the same way. Many times I feel I am just walking behind her to fix things constantly. I try to explain to her to take her time and pay attention to what she is doing. Sometimes I feel she does stuff just to get under my skin.

Sounds like my Cow Patty (AKA K'kins)…………...she gets on that riding mower, and I swear to God that she'll find every rock, piece of steel,, or stump, in the yard. But she looks so cute doin' it, that I don't care (well.....sorta).

She's gettin' her Birthday/Xmas gift early this year. Lookin' at a brand new high power astronomy telescope for her. She goes nuts when they say some particular things are visible at certain times. Runs outside with her binoculars. Well Hell Babe, ya gonna have somethin' GOOD to look thru in about a week or so. Can't mess up a telescope, and it's a doggone sight nicer present than a riding mower (my last big present to her).