Blacksmithing tools - Page 50
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 1,226 to 1,249 of 1249

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    ...can you recommend a good book for hinges and latches?
    Ya know, that's exactly the kind of question to ask if you want to get my attention. If you'd said something about swords and knives like every other son of a goat....

To date, I've found no books which detail the making of hinges and latches. You will find an example of one particular piece in just about every book on blacksmithing, but nothing I'd consider worth buying the book for.

Youtube, however, has quite a few good videos from Black Bear Forge and Torbjorn Ahmen.

Since this is the "tools" thread, I'll point you to a nice tool shown by Thomas Ironworks that will get you making rolled-eye hinges and can be scaled down to do hinges that are right for chests and such.

Another neat gadget for making hinge eyes was showcased by Black Bear Forge, and the folks over at Athens Forge have made up a similar tool that works with a simple hand hammer.

The hinge eye is the most difficult part to do decnetly. The rest of the strap or latch is forged however you like, with all the piercing and whatnot that fits your design. Getting that hinge knuckle all fitted and moving properly, though, can be a real bugger.

For most doors, you don't need a welded hinge. For small chests and such, the weight is even less and there isn't really a need to do any forge-welding unless you want bragging rights.

I do have a book here that's what I call an "idea book" because it's filled with hundreds of examples of period ironwork of all sorts. The photos aren't great, and there isn't any description, but browsing through it can give you ideas -- hence the name. I'll see about grabbing it and taking some pics of the hinge section.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Ya know, that's exactly the kind of question to ask if you want to get my attention. If you'd said something about swords and knives like every other son of a goat....

It should be obvious to us that someone like you would have no need for swords and knives....

:

I never should have used a selfie for that e-card!!!!

Thanks for those videos Vaughn, I'm looking forward to some forge time soon
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    ... I'm looking forward to some forge time soon
    Here's a photo of the hand-driven hinge tools from Athens Forge AFC in Alabama.

Hole size is 2x the thickness of the plate you're using, plus the Diameter of the hinge pin. Going slightly oversized with your initial hole is a good idea since the steel will be expanded by heat and the rough internal surface can cause binding that makes getting the knuckle out rather interesting. If you don't have reamers to clean up the inside surface, I'd at least recommend tons of cutting oil as you drill the hole and maybe some sandpaper on a dowel afterwards.

Mild steel works fine for them. I wouldn't try something like this for 1/4" thick bar, but for 1/8" and thinner, they work pretty quick and easy.

Those hand driven hinge tools look cool!!!!
    :

Samuel Yellin shows these same tools in one of his books, so it's not a new idea. Athens Forge has a video of them being used on his FB page, but I couldn't figure out how to link it here. Very quick and efficient!

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I went ahead and ordered one in the large format.
    Just as an idea what you're in for.... I own all the Mark Aspery books, arguably the best "blacksmithing" stuff to be written in the last 30 years. They stay on the shelf.

When I'm in the shop, the Engineer's Black Book is close at hand because it is simply useful at every turn.

Aspery's books are great if you want to learn how to make that particular project, but the EBB is great for everything you do in the shop. I'm trying to get better at working on the lathe, for example, and it's chock full of stuff about that. When I needed to make my tool tower, it was there for me. When I was curious about the screws that'd be best for what I'm doing..... guess where I looked?

Yep.

And now I know the average anterior arm reach for an adult male!

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Just as an idea what you're in for.... I own all the Mark Aspery books, arguably the best "blacksmithing" stuff to be written in the last 30 years. They stay on the shelf.

When I'm in the shop, the Engineer's Black Book is close at hand because it is simply useful at every turn.

Aspery's books are great if you want to learn how to make that particular project, but the EBB is great for everything you do in the shop. I'm trying to get better at working on the lathe, for example, and it's chock full of stuff about that. When I needed to make my tool tower, it was there for me. When I was curious about the screws that'd be best for what I'm doing..... guess where I looked?

Yep.

And now I know the average anterior arm reach for an adult male!
    Ahhhh yes Page 209...
    Name:  ebb-p208-209.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  175.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Ahhhh yes Page 209...
    Name:  ebb-p208-209.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  175.8 KB
    Hmm. An unusual obsession with male body dimensions ....could you please take a photo of the page that shows FEMALE dimensions for the rest of us that don’t have the book?
    :

You know.... that's the first thing I looked for when I saw Vaughn's post and I couldn't find any

Btw: I happen to have an extra copy of the large book here.... I may have to send it your way

ronsiii. LOL LOL

I bit the bullet and ordered one after I read your post.

Thanks for the kind offer though.
    :

Heck, I'm just glad to know I have an anterior arm reach. All these years and I never knew I had one! It's like winning the lottery!

Half the fun is going through and looking for errors. I gave a copy to my buddy for Christmas and he claims to have found an error, but I haven't seen his proof yet. I did find one line that didn't make any sense to me:

Name:  IMG_1698.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  60.7 KB

I was always taught that you can't use the same letter when drawing lines on a geometric shape. So....why are there two "a" lines? Why not one (A) and one (a)?

And what is that hyphenated line supposed to be representing? Looks entirely arbitrary to me and there's nothing in the text around Page 109 that seems to explain what's happening.

Not exactly an error IMO, as the formula is the same for two different shapes and they diagrammed one shape within the other. I think they were just showing the "a" dimension on each shape. Had they split the info into two letters they would have had to have written an exact copy of each formula with a different letter - kind of redundant.

Great book and recommendation though, I had no idea something like this existed and my copy is on the way. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Not exactly an error IMO, as the formula is the same for two different shapes and they diagrammed one shape within the other.
    That's a very good point. Maybe that's why they have two names for it?? Is a Trapezoid defined differently from a Trapezium? One maybe having equal angles and the other not?

Like you, I had no idea such a book was out there until a machinist referenced it.... and I was quick to order my own copy when I saw how easy it was to reference through. Since then, she's not been far from my reach!

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get your copy in the mail.

I received my copy the other day. I have already learned about interrupted thread taps which will help me when I am tapping small diameter holes in thick material. This comes into play when I am putting #8 and #10 threads into 1/2" aluminum.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Got a call Saturday from a friend, a guy bought an old closed down Blacksmith-Welding shop a couple years ago to build a restaurant on but it didn't work out for him. My friend got the job of removing a huge 3 phase welder and this power hammer with a single phase motor. He got paid to remove it and "dispose" of it. (he will "dispose" of it in his shop). The compound is on over one acre right in the middle of town with huge adobe walls around the property and many old buildings that were once used for horses and tack. I found an old article about the shop, the father opened it in 1920 and the son took over and ran it till he was in his eighties. The last picture shows William Flores Jr pounding iron at 80 on the power hammer. The news article was from 2010. Mr. Flores lived to be 97 so this says something about blacksmithing and keeping in shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by bigb; 01-20-2020 at 09:47 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Blacksmithing tools

Re: top photo.

I m pretty certain I’d have a big smile on my face too.

That bench in the background is pretty cool. What was the welder?
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Re: top photo.

I m pretty certain I’d have a big smile on my face too.

That bench in the background is pretty cool. What was the welder?
    It was a big Hobart but I was so excited about the power hammer I forgot to take a pic of it.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

All I can say is That is Very Cool!!!! bigb

Dang! I wish I'd get offered jobs like that!!

Never seen that style of hammer, but I like it. Looks gorgeous, kind of like they used the pillar from a bridge for the main body.

I realize the site is abandoned and slated for development but it would be pretty cool to still have look around. I love places like that.
    :

You need to make up blueprints for that power hammer so the do-it-yourselfers in the crowd can make their own... sell the plans on Ebay... seems like a good 20 minute project...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

We would be really happy with more pics...... hint.
    :