Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Yeah , Vaughn. I have a couple for my drill presses but I NEVER see any come up used.
    :

Well, in the Great North, they might be scarce. Ebay has them all day long, usually for $30-50, but shipping would be a bear, I'm sure. You can buy them brand new from Northern Tool. Wilton makes them so you can expect to pay at least $70 for the thing. That's the part that killed my plans for marketing them to blacksmiths. Ain't nobody going to pay me $120 to turn them into anvil vises!

The nice part about drilling and tapping the base is that you can unbolt them from the hardy assembly whenever you like, then put it on when you need it at the anvil.

Ever leave your tools too close to the forge?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Where are you getting the vises?
    The guy that just build one of his own said he got his vise from here: https://www.bscsource.com/product/Vises/x4y1958

Never heard of the place before, but they look to have alright prices and a nice selection. For the anvil vise idea, I'd just as soon wait for a deal to pop up on ebay so I could get a nice Yankee or Palmgren for way less money. $50 v. $115..... that's a no-brainer!

This picture actually makes my truck look clean! How cool is that!!!

Now I just need to get the tool rack built and some sweeping up completed. Then the Kerlin will be parked and put to good use!

Okay, so I got the scrolling fork saved. When we first started it, we got a bit carried away and it was ugly thin right behind the spur. Other than that, I've liked how it worked on the few hooks I've made with it.

How to fix the too-skinny part behind the spur? Well, I heated it up in the forge, clamped the jaws in the vise, and upset the handle. It was pretty quick work, suprisingly. It took about four heats to get it thickened out nicely, and a lot of that was straightening the dogleg that inevitably forms when you're upsetting a long bar.

So, now I have to clean up the jaws and figure out what I want to do about a hole in the handle so it can be hung up. The parent stock was 1/2"x1" and the end of the handle is still at that dimension. I like the heft of it, overall, and don't think I'll thin it down any more. Maybe I'll punch a few holes just to lighten it and give it a bit of character. No idea, but at least it's not an eyesore any longer.

Now for the bad news... my H13 punch is on the way out. I'm really displeased with the fellow that made this for me and don't think there'll be any recourse except to not do business with him any longer. When he first sent it t me, it was pretty much not what I had described, and he left only about 3/8" of material above the tong groove to act as the striking surface. If you know anything about hammering on top tools, 3/8" mushrooms over very quickly so the tool was just about "worn out" after just a dozen hooks or so. The working end is in great shape even though it's going into hot steel. The striking end, though, has not only mushroomed a good bit, but it's collapsed down into the tong groove, trapping my Faram Forge tongs in place.

I'll be able to get the tongs out no problem, but I won't be able to get them back in. So until I have a replacement punch, the tongs will stay where they are.

I agree pretty crappy punch design. Lose the tongs. Get some 1/4" round, heat yellow, wrap twice tightly around the groove, heat the pigtails and do a tight twist for about 8-10 inches for a handle. You could use 5/16" round to beef it up a bit. Your H13 is still good to go.

https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...s-img_1556.jpg

Similar idea to what Shortfuse is proposing, but with my usual crudeness. I made this short chisel out of a broken pickup auger finger for the combine... works great and keeps my fingers away from the mad man with the hammer.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

The wrapped wire handle will likely be the only way to go until I find someone to turn me a new punch on the lathe. It really chaps my posterior having to deal with substandard hacks, and now I have to fix something I should have to fix.

I wonder if it's possible to weld some mild steel onto the struck end? Can you weld mild to H13? Will the weld just pop loose in a couple strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...s-img_1556.jpg

Similar idea to what Shortfuse is proposing, but with my usual crudeness. I made this short chisel out of a broken pickup auger finger for the combine... works great and keeps my fingers away from the mad man with the hammer.
    I just registered. Don’t see any carrot or potato combines...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Vaughn, regarding weldability...I had this link bookmarked. It's some steel supplier, but I don't know anything about them. In the third paragraph, it mentions "good weldability". Don't know if that applies to mild welded to H13 or H13 welded to H13. You might search for other articles on H13 for weldability.

http://www.astmsteel.com/product/h13...ot-work-steel/

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I just registered. Don’t see any carrot or potato combines...

LOL... if I bought a potato harvester it would be to pick the small stones off my fields. Welcome aboard. One of the reasons I liked the threaded rod for a handle is that there is no welding involved... so I won't be affecting the temper, hardness or causing brittle areas in the HAZ. I would be more concerned about breaking it. It already has the ridge for the tongs, why not go with the original suggestion and forge a permanent handle around that?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

The first three successful bends with the Kerlin Bender. Getting it into the shop was a frickin' nightmare, and she still needs to be moved into her final position.

To give you a sense of just how massive this thing is....

Somehow, I don't think this thing is going to bend stock that big! Maybe sheet metal, but certainly nothing much thicker.

Finally figured out what this wedge was for. It's been bothering me since I first saw it in the auction pics because it was obviously meant to go with the bender. They have the same OEM paint, and someone went to a lot of trouble to chain this wedge to the bender's table. That's not something you do unless you don't want to lose the wedge.... but what could the wedge be for?

Well, it's for reinforcing the standing jaw!

Try to bend something without that wedge in place, and the standing jaw will move in its track.

Thoughts?

Well, now that I have it in hand, I can see that it's going to be rather useful. It won't save me a lot of time or fuel, but I have to admit that it's been very nice to bend thick bar exactly where I wanted the bend, without having to heat the bar up and try to juggle it around the anvil and vise. As you can see in the pictures, the bend isn't very sharp, but it's certainly decent enough for a lot of projects and can be refined by further forging.

Downsides?

Weil, aside from being frickin' huge, far larger than I was planning on, there are a few little things I'll have to sort out. Firstly, I'll need to make up a set of parallels in various thicknesses to raise my work up off the bottom of the jaws. Whatever the previous owner was doing, they really wore out the bottom two inches of the replaceable jaw.... which is contributing hugely to the giant radius in the bends I made.

Plus, there's a gap in the body between the jaws with only about an inch of rail on each side. So if you're trying to bend something shorter than the jaws are wide... there's a very good chance you'll drop it down through the bender to the table top and then play merry hell trying to get it back out.

Of course, making up a new replaceable jaw is definitely at the top of my list of things to do. It's just a matter of figuring out how to go about it, and what alloy I should use. As thin as the jaw is, I don't think I'd want to harden and temper the jaw lest it crack on me due to the extreme pressure it's under... but I would like to make it from some kind of alloy that's very stout and can take the pressure without collapsing. I'm thinking something like what grader blades are made out of, but getting that kind of alloy in a thin section, and being able to drill/tap it, is something I'm not sure about.

So, this isn't the end of the adventure. I can use the bender as-is and still turn out some quality bends. That's what I was hoping for, even if it is a giant of a machine that takes up a lot of space!

Again, big thanks to Pat at PSACustoms for making all this possible!

I am glad you were able to figure out the purpose of the wedge.

In regards to bending bigger stock, you just need a bigger lever.

I can see the set of shims or parallels to lift the stock might be problematic due to the varying thickness of materials you may be working with. Take a look at the magnetic shims from Fireball tools for inspiration. We have some at my work and they are nice. The magnet will help to hold the shim in place so you are not worrying about three to four pieces moving on you as you set it up.

One idea as an alternative to the Fireball tools product might be to buy a set of machinist parallels from Harbor Freight. Driill a hole in them then epoxy in your own rare earth magnets. You can get a variety of sized magnets online for a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Pretty sweet... that is a massive amount of iron.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Might want to check this out if you are interested in the blacksmithing craft.
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Might want to check this out if you are interested in the blacksmithing craft.
    Cool. Just watched a few minutes. Will save and finish later.

Thanks for posting,tackit!

:

Great video. I always enjoyed watching that channel when he was doing blacksmith stuff. His forge is a thing of legend!

Your welcome Lis232

Vaughn, he's got a style and personality that makes you want to go out to the shop and beat on some lemon yellow metal.
    Last edited by tackit; 09-14-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Not exactly a blacksmithing tool but I don’t want to start a thread when I know Pat and others can probably provide input.

I have a little (16 gauge) Makita nibbler that I really like. I thought about making a mount for the nibbler to enable feeding the workpiece for certain applications.

I haven’t really used the tool enough to know for certain this is even a viable idea.

Anyhow here is the mock-up I have for now. Any suggestions before I fine tune the cradles and weld it up? I used an over center clamp from a small fire extinguisher so that the nibbler could be removed easily without tools.

I already have a couple of in-line foot switches if needed.

:

Terry,
    Here is my first thought. I am sure I will come up with more once I have had my coffee.
    Have you thought of using the mag drill to put a hole into a larger flat piece. Then bend it into a "U" so it has legs going down to be the same width as the red part. That could slide over or down the barrel part of the jaws and be screwed to the red part or base. The base holds the tool while you then have a table to rest the work to be cut. That might be a bit safer or more stable than feeding it by hand. Think of or look for "jigsaw table" on Google images for ideas. There are a few nibbler tables on Google images.
    Does your nibbler have a spot on each side of the head to screw in a handle? Kind of like a lot of grinders do. I know my Milwaukee has spots for handles. Another option to help secure the nibbler might be to drill a hole on each side of the "U" at the head and then screw the nibbler in that way. Edit: I just looked at pics online of your nibbler and it looks like yours does not have spots for a handle.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe