Blacksmithing tools - Page 31
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Re: Blacksmithing tools

I love this thread. So many good ideas from different perspectives and applications!

Here’s how I made hammer and tong holders on one table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    .... you could also look into garage door springs....
    Very cool idea. I don't know that I've ever thought of such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    ...We never have enough storage....
    Those are some very slick builds. A part of me wanted to go with a tall version of that farrier's cart, something that would have a thin profile so it didn't take up a lot of space. But, this carousel popped up and got me thinking on a different path. Haven't made up my mind on it, though. I've got a half-dozen builds that I want to get on, so do I really need to add another?

Of course, seeing how you did that hammer slot on your tool tray has given me some ideas!

There's so many ways to design and build, it depends on what you want and need.
    With my farriers cart it's small and compact and can roll anywhere. You can have a basic storage area for everything and then load what you need on cart. I don't have that much so the cart is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never get tired of seeing that contraption! Beautiful design all around, and I think I just might borrow some of it for my own vise stand. I wish I had a chunk of pipe as large as that, but I do have a very nice lamp post that I think will work.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I never get tired of seeing that contraption! Beautiful design all around, and I think I just might borrow some of it for my own vise stand. I wish I had a chunk of pipe as large as that, but I do have a very nice lamp post that I think will work.
    No big pipe ??? Maybe use three or four pieces of 3'' or 4'' pipe and large plates for top and bottom. Anybody can use one big piece.

That is definitely impressive !!!!

NOT mine, but tell me this wouldn’t be ideal for us welder- fab- blacksmith types for storage and organization of metal offcuts etc????

This Rotabin is 5 foot tall and five foot diameter.

Vaughn, are you drooling????

:

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    NOT mine, but tell me this wouldn’t be ideal for us welder- fab- blacksmith types for storage and organization of metal offcuts etc????

This Rotabin is 5 foot tall and five foot diameter.

I remember something similar from the old days. Hardware stores had those types filled with bulk nails.
    That will hold lots of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than you know!

I've not seen one of those for less than $400 + shipping. Never found one locally.

They are very handy for holding all your nuts, bolts, washers, o-rings and the like. In days long gone, I really enjoyed just being able to walk up to a rotisserie and grabbing what I needed right off the bat.

Plus, they just look cook as hell in the background of any pics you take. Really makes me wish I had a shop worth photographing!

A local find that I'm thinking about grabbing up. Old-school 55-g drum with badge and spicket.

All those rivets really makes me want to grab it up and turn it into a tong/hammer cart. Not sure about the design, but I haven't seen one of these outside of a museum. For just $50, it seems like a steal.

A local find that I'm thinking about grabbing up. ...

All those rivets really makes me want to grab it up and turn it into a tong/hammer cart. Not sure about the design, but I haven't seen one of these outside of a museum. For just $50, it seems like a steal.
    I dunno about that one. It looks a little rusty and you're going to be really ticked off when the home brew runs out! It would be a shame to cut it up, but i can see it with shelves cut into it so it would be a lot like that nail holder that Terry posted. A set of casters and you don't need the center pivot.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Blacksmithing tools

A local find that I'm thinking about grabbing up. Old-school 55-g drum with badge and spicket.

I’m not clear what you’re getting at.

What were you doing in a museum??
    Last edited by Lis2323; 04-11-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    :

Well, after all that talk, I finally pulled the trigger and bought that tool carousel thingy.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. The guy selling it actually made the rack. He used to work for Catepillar and had to do a ton of maintenance, so he built several of these stations for the technicians to organize their tooling. Everything they used could be clipped into the little spring clips or stored on the flat shelves.

Each shelf is 1/4" plate professionally cut and rotates around the central column. He used locking collars to hold them in place -- a godsend of an idea when we tried to load the thing in my truck!

A dab of grease on the collars and the shelf rotates smoothly even though their are no bearings. He didn't want bearings because it gives just a little bit of friction that prevents the shelves from spinning too fast and flinging tools everywhere. Overall, a very nice design and certainly stout enough to be in a blacksmith shop!

Now, I need to source some heavier casters. I'm thinking I'll have to put outriggers for the casters since the whole thing is pretty narrow -- 23" diameter. With four levels of 1/4" plate and a similarly heavy bit of pipe for the column, the casters I have on hand will be right at the borderline of max weight rating! Add in all the tools, and I'm definitely positive that I'll be over the load rating.

Still, it'll be a fun project to tinker on over the coming months. I'm already thinking deep thoughts on how I'll go about doing the rings around the mid-level plate so I can adorn it with lots of hammers and tongs. I don't see me using the spring clips any since they'll eat into the hammer handles, but they might be good enough for holding tongs. Just got to get the whole thing out of the truck and the tinkering can commence!

Blacksmithing tools

Vaughn maybe form a ring with flatbar 3-4” in diameter larger than the round shelves to hang hammers and tongs.

The shelves could still be used as ..well..shelves.

And maybe holes in the shelves for hardies?

:

Vaughn maybe form a ring with flatbar 3-4” in diameter larger than the round shelves to hang hammers and tongs. The shelves could still be used as ..well..shelves.

And maybe holes in the shelves for hardies?
    Funny you should mention that mighty fine hammer rack, friend. I actually have that picture saved to my computer so I can refer to it for the upcoming build.

Love how you added the washers for a little flair; you managed to hit functional and sexy all in one go, so yea, I can definitely see me trying to borrow a notion from the Great White North!

My biggest worry is going to be trying to decide just how much flair I want to shoot for. I tend to have champagne wishes and a beer budget, always thinking of grandiose designs that I know I'll never really bring to life!

Still, it's going to be fun to play with.

On another front, it looks like I'll be buying a new forge rather than building one. I hate that Chile Forge Co. doesn't offer something with a shorter chamber than they do, but it looks like I'll have to opt for their 9x16 double-burner design. In all the years I've had this Majestic forge (garbage), I've never needed 16" of chamber length, but I sure wish I'd had more than 6" in width. While Chile does offer a smaller single-burner forge that'd handle 100% of what I currently do, it doesn't allow for any future growth. It's got the same width as the Majestic -- in other words, the same limitation that's been aggravating me. The only option they give me, though, is to go way too big for what I do or dream of doing!

Can't really complain, though. Seems like that's a pretty good problem to have!

Vaughn,
    This just popped up on my Facebook market place. Let me know if you want it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Blacksmithing tools

Even if it’s a small one, that’s a pretty fair price for the Rota Bin , Vaughn. And nice patina. It would fit right in.

Five foot diameter ones are $500 usd average price from what I’ve seen.

You da man Pat!
    :

Did Vaughn get the bin?

:

I just realized that rotating parts bin is 3.5 hours North of me. I must have moved the location in my searches.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Yeah that would be a deal killer for me.

:

Thank you for thinking of me. No worries on the rota-bin. A 6 hour round trip is a bit much for a favor, especially after all you've already done for me!

Just got the spring clips taken off one of the levels on my new tong rack. It's amazing how small the disk looks without the clips on the circumference. I had thought that maybe they could be used in-situ, but most of them were too banged up and none of them liked to hold the thicker handles on my hammers. It was one of those cases of them being too small for the hammers and too big for the tongs, so off they had to come!

So, the plan now it is wring the lowest level like in the pics above. The middle shelf will be covered up with tools that don't really need a ring, but I might go with two rings on the lower level and one ring on the middle level. The upper level will be boxed in with chain around the circumference just to keep things from rolling off. I don't see me putting hammers and tongs that high, but I might to a half-ring just to get my sheet metal hammers up and out of the way. I rarely use them and they're currently stored in the wire shelving on my new Dewalt shelf. Moving them over to the carousel would free up some room on the shelf and consolidate all the hammers in one place.

Lots to think about. Rolling the rings will be a nightmare, but I'll persevere.

Other than that, not much going on. Screwed up two orders and will have to rework them tomorrow. Got a lot of cutting, drilling and welding planned for tomorrow, too. That'll get a long-term order off the roster if nothing goes wrong -- but things always seem to go wrong!