Blacksmithing tools - Page 26
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Speaking of new tools, I got a bit of good news this morning.....

Some time back I commented on Gary Huston's "miracle bender" video asking for more details so I could see about making one. You just don't see them here in the States, so making one seemed like the best notion - and I still think I could make a workable version that'd mount in my bench vise.

Anyhow, Gary was kind enough to do up a whole video on the bender with measurements and everything. Really cool of him to do that.... but then none other than Joshua De Lisle pipes up in the comments that he has the same bender and would be interested in seeing it go to a good home.

So, now we're in talks to see about moving it across the pond from his shop to mine. I've never ordered anything from the UK and have no idea how much it'll cost to have it mailed to me, but I think it'll turn out okay.

Very excited about it, truth be told.

Sounds good... any idea what it's going to weigh for shipping?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    ...any idea what it's going to weigh for shipping?
    No idea whatsoever. I've hunted around for a shipper from my end, but can't do much without an exact weight and whatnot. Looking at the measurements, and how Gary moved it around in his video, I'd guess it to be around 200#. There's a lot of cast iron in the thing so it can't be light!

Hopefully, Josh will get back to me soon with some more info.

Went through my bundle of new drill bits and only one of them is damaged beyond hope with a bent shaft where it chucks into the drill.

Most of them are Morse, but I did get two NPTD and one Hanson. The oddball sizes will likely come in handy somewhere, though it'll likely be one of those one-in-a-million events!

17/32", 21/32", 23/32", 27/32", 31/32", 47/64", 59/64".... Oh, and I got a 5/8", 9/16" and 3/4" to fill out the selection.

All of my current drill indexes only go up to 1/2", so I've had to buy the occasional larger size for projects around the shop. Now, I'm pretty much set on stuff.

Next project is to revamp an old Craftsman top box that's seen better days. I can't believe my dad left it out in the weather to simply rust away! Looking at similar things at HD, Lowes and HF, a similar box would run at least $200 today!

Will I be able to salvage it? More than likely. It'll be a job of work, but it's either that or burn hours at the bar drinking beer.

Vaughn, NOPE. You will find there is no such thing as “oddball” sized drill bits.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Vaughn, NOPE. You will find there is no such thing as “oddball” sized drill bits.!
    No doubt! They'll go in the drawer until I need them, and I'm sure I'll be really happy to have them. Not bad for a $1 each!

What a score! A buck each for Made in USA bits over 1/2”!

:

It's rusty and dusty, but it's still better than nothing!

Name:  IMG_1746.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  86.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1747.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  92.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1748.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  92.0 KB

I cut the lid off and scraped up most of the rust. As I was working on it, I decided that it just wasn't worth going further since the weather is so cold.

I'll use it as-is until spring, then do a more complete restoration. Right now, it's doing a good enough job and helps get things a little more organized.

Name:  IMG_1755.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  101.9 KB

Aside from being plug ugly, the only real problem is that there doesn't appear to be any way to remove the drawers from their glides. That's going to make refinishing it this spring a real bear of a job.

I'm thinking a good sanding, then hit all the drawers with rust converter followed by bed liner in a spray can. It won't be minty fresh, but it will be better than it currently is.

Oh, and I'll likely put a wood cover over the top so I don't have to bother with those dumb partitions. The upper section really isn't handy because it's so close to the underside of the bench top. If I put a wood cover on it, I could probably stack a couple small drawers there that would give even more containment and organization possibilities.

Hey Vaughn, looks like you have a bigger version of a top box than mine. Friends gave me this one several years ago when they sold their house and downsized.

Like you, I ditched the hinged lid/cover and repainted it. Yours will be fine. Sand and paint out the drawers the best you can, throw some drawer liners in and call it done!

:

Sand and paint out the drawers the best you can, throw some drawer liners in and call it done!
    I was going to get started on the sanding and painting today, but it was just too cold and miserable, with no end in sight. Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse!

I thought about scrapping the thing and just getting a new one, but even the cheapest are spendy! I think Harbor Freight's smallest cheap-o version is still right at $200! :O

I'll scrub and sand a bit rather than drop two bills on something that's a little prettier. If I had your shop, yea, I could see spending on the "bling", but in my little corner of the world, grunge is the norm.

Just found these at TRS.....

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005

I love labeled drawers so you know exactly what's where! I'd like to find a better selection. Something with "nuts, bolts, washers, allen wrench, torx wrench" and the like.

Next on my list will be a selection of small drawers like these....

They're deep enough to hold some larger tools, but not so large that you end up burying things. I could see them being very handy for sorting all manner of things.

Here’s an alternative. Use a Dymo type label maker and apply them to magnetic strips from the dollar store. They can be cut to length with scissors.

That way you can do a PRO job of making custom labels such as “CRAP”.

:

Man ya'll were talking about Morse Drills a bit ago and I was like dang I have something to share. Any way I went through a tool box I picked up at a flee market a while back. It had some drills in it I was not even aware of until I started going through the stuff in my garage the other day. Peep this.... It's too cool even if I never use it LOL...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Continued:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Man ya'll were talking about Morse Drills a bit ago and I was like dang I have something to share. Any way I went through a tool box I picked up at a flee market a while back.
    That's pretty dang awesome! I have no idea what I'd ever do with such small drill bits, but I'd love to have something like that just to say I did! And you got a cool tool box, too!

Here’s an alternative. Use a Dymo type label maker and apply them to magnetic strips from the dollar store. They can be cut to length with scissors.

That way you can do a PRO job of making custom labels such as “CRAP”.

Well that was really bright. I forgot to attach the pic...

:

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    That's pretty dang awesome! I have no idea what I'd ever do with such small drill bits, but I'd love to have something like that just to say I did! And you got a cool tool box, too!
    Thank you.

Those little drill bits are good for drilling your nail when you smash your thumb.

Could have used those back in my car model building days when I had an HO railroad set. For plastic I didn't even use a drill... just chucked them in a pin vise and spun them by hand... The last time I went shopping for a decent 1 1/4" drill bit it was around $120 Cdn. I think my 2 big sets stop at 1". My biggest step bit goes to 1 3/8" but it's no good for deep holes... the chuck bottoms out. Just this afternoon I had to drill a 17mm hole, so like Terry says, those odd size bits will come in very handy. Second Sunday project involved making a new hatchet handle out of a piece of broken hand railing... I'm guessing it was either maple or oak so hopefully it will last a while.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash View Post
    Those little drill bits are good for drilling your nail when you smash your thumb.
    Ouch no thanks.

Talk about fortuitous!

I mentioned to my dad that I'd chopped up the top box and was going to line the drawers when he said, "Hey, I just threw away a ton of drawer liner stuff." Yea, thankfully, the trash man hadn't been by yet. Right there on top of everything else was a whole slew of this cheap liner material. More than I needed, even with doubling up the layers, so I have plenty to spare for the next tool box to get refurbished!

Those little bending dies for my Yesteryear Forge Ultra Jig now have a nice comfy home instead of that chintzy plastic box they've been living in.

Name:  IMG_1761.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  120.9 KB

The grinder gets the big drawer and I was pleasantly surprised that there was room for it and my modest collection of taps, dies and sundry.

Name:  IMG_1766.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  97.1 KB

This is a beast of a file handle. Obviously shop-made and you can believe I snatched it up real quick when I saw it at the estate sale! That bronze/brass ferrule is every bit of an eighth inch thick and absolutely perfect. This will be going on my hot rasp as soon as I can make it happen.

Name:  IMG_1762.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  74.1 KBName:  IMG_1763.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  75.0 KB

Isn’t it a good feeling getting organized and knowing what you have? Good score on the drawer liner material! You must have manifested it.

:

Isn’t it a good feeling....
    Yes, sir, it is! And an unusual one, too. I'm the most disorganized pack rat out there so this is quite a stretch for me. With it and the new shelf, I almost feel human again!

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Yes, sir, it is! And an unusual one, too. I'm the most disorganized pack rat out there so this is quite a stretch for me. With it and the new shelf, I almost feel human again!
    Don't feel bad. I have to think about all the pics I take for show and tell because of what will appear in the background. This is in an attempt to avoid all of the dramma I'll catch from the neat freak Nazzi squad

However having a neat organized shop does make it more enjoyable and less problematic and frustrating.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Don't feel bad. I have to think about all the pics I take for show and tell because of what will appear in the background. This is in an attempt to avoid all of the dramma I'll catch from the neat freak Nazzi squad

However having a neat organized shop does make it more enjoyable and less problematic and frustrating.
    I do the same thing. That's why my pics are always up close and in tight!

I wish I had a shop that was like Terry's but it's just not in my nature..... and I hate it!