Blacksmithing tools - Page 36
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Well, dang! As much as I've been around big rigs, I never once thought about adding E-track to the bed of my pickup! That'll be something I need to think about after I get the bed sprayed with some of that liner stuff. Pretty brilliant idea and I'm sure it'd be handier than the dumb little tie-down loops they give you at each corner.

That forge is sexy as sexy gets! Pressed sheet metal bodies are an interesting thing because they help us date the forge to the mid-1940's or later. How is that? Interestingly, the technology to press sheets of steel didn't exist prior to WW2. We could do it to some degree, obviously, but it was only the technological advancements brought on by the war needs that really spurred innovation in that area.

That boost in technology made it cost-effective to press something like a forge body. Prior to that, the cheapest or most profitable way of doing it was casting iron.
    Great info on the pressed sheets, Vaughn! That would make the forge a maximum of about 80 years old.

I installed E-track in the truck bed over a dozen years ago. I’m certain others have done similar but I never seen or heard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Blacksmithing tools

I sold these three blowers (individually) to pay for my “new” forge.

:

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Great info .... make the forge a maximum of about 80 years old.
    It's a pretty interesting tidbit, I thought. If you look around, you'll see a lot of things that were once cast but then not. Everyone wants to think that manufacturers just went for the cheaper alternative in some mad dash to get wealth and power. The truth, though, is that cast iron was never the better option. It's was just the only solution we had because of technology.

Sadly, that also spelled the doom for foundries across the world and explains why we no longer have beautiful tools. When you had to go through all the effort to make moulds for casting legs for your lathes and mills and such, you could easily make them beautiful. Curves worked just as well as straight lines because the iron would flow like water.

When you're making legs out of sheets of steel, however, straight lines and simple angles become the norm for no other reason than it maximizes what you can get out of the material and is within the limits of what machines can cut, bend, rivet and weld.

One simple change in the material used means the whole world is changed. A butterfly flaps its wings....

Great info on the pressed sheets, Vaughn! That would make the forge a maximum of about 80 years old.

I installed E-track in the truck bed over a dozen years ago. I’m certain others have done similar but I never seen or heard.

I didn't know that pressed steel was a WWII thing either. I did come across an antique furniture dealer that had E track in 2 rows in his enclosed trailer... worked slick for tying things down solid. I should have had it in my truck too, before the front got bent.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I didn't know that pressed steel was a WWII thing either. I did come across an antique furniture dealer that had E track in 2 rows in his enclosed trailer... worked slick for tying things down solid. I should have had it in my truck too, before the front got bent.
    The only antique in my truck is me.
    :

I've been watching a few of these on ebay, but didn't feel comfortable buying from someone in India. The examples they showed were gorgeous and I'd really like to have one or two, but I finally decided to support an American company.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 7.12.15 PM.png
Views: 113
Size:  24.3 KB

Any guesses?

It's one of those tools every blacksmith needs. Smaller than a bread box. You can easily have two or three of them in slightly different configurations -- and one reason why I might get one of them from those Indian guys.

We’re waiting.....
    :

Instead of a leather or plaid blacksmith kilt, you bought the Indian version.

I can just picture you standing like this at your anvil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Instead of a leather or plaid blacksmith kilt, you bought the Indian version.

I can just picture you standing like this at your anvil.

:

Actually, I regularly stand at the anvil like that. Just without the kilt!

Some things once seen, cannot be unseen... but damn that's got to take some balls. Or at least it did once...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Still waiting.........

:

Still waiting.........
    I gave you all kinds of hints. If you can't guess correctly, you'll just have to wait until the mailman drops it off.

Smaller than a breadbox...do they even MAKE breadboxes anymore ??

:

Well, how about smaller than a "vintage" breadbox? Those are the best kind, imo.

Hint: usually used at the anvil, even in a vise, but never the floor, wall or ceiling.

Set of eye punches with different shapes?

:

Nope. But that is a very good idea for the next purchase.....

One of the guillotine tools with various fullering dies.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    One of the guillotine tools with various fullering dies.
    Nope. Made one of those ages ago. Great project for someone that needs to brush up on their welding skills. Now just need to make more dies for the thing.

Good guess, though.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Nope. Made one of those ages ago. Great project for someone that needs to brush up on their welding skills. Now just need to make more dies for the thing.

Good guess, though.
    Could you post a pic of yours? Please?
    :

Could you post a pic of yours?
    Don't be intimidated by the masterful welds....

Here's the butchering dies that I made.... and soon found out weren't nearly sharp enough an angle to do much. They'd likely work under a fly press or power hammer, but not with a hand hammer. You end up getting more squish than isolating movement/wedging of the metal.

The stacked metal bits were intended to make a flat anvil insert so I could use the top die all by itself. Never got around to actually using it, though, and now she's lost in the mess of the shop.

Of course, now that I've ground out the hardy hole on my anvil, I need to replace the hardy stems on all my shop-made tooling so they'll fit snuggly and not bounce around as much.

Oh, and my surprise thingy came in the mail today. I'll be heading out to the shop in a bit so I'll get a picture while I'm there. I really like it and can't wait to use it!

Have you ever tried running over those welds with 7014? I know it's a much maligned rod around here, but it is very easy to work with for in position welds. I've been thinking about a guillotine tool for years... if I made it to fit the "too tall" chisel, I could use that for cutting and another blunt tool for crimping cables. Got me curious about the surprise tool now too...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Have you ever tried running over those welds with 7014? I know it's a much maligned rod around here, but it is very easy to work with for in position welds. I've been thinking about a guillotine tool for years... if I made it to fit the "too tall" chisel, I could use that for cutting and another blunt tool for crimping cables. Got me curious about the surprise tool now too...
    Man, I don't know why folks hate on the 7014 rods! I love them to death and there's no real difference between them and the 7018 when you look at them in detail. For some reason, I can run a really nice bead with the 7014, but the same settings give me fits when I switch to 7018. No idea what's going on there, but I love love love some 7014!

Going over the welds is something that has been on the list of things to do for awhile. I need to get in there with a carbide burr and eat away the majority of the ugly, then I'll try to lay down something respectable.

Now that I've used it for awhile, I'll likely take off the bottom die holder so I can re work it. I saw one on a Youtube video that had set screws installed so you could tweak the position of the dies and make sure they were lined up nicely. I don't know that they need it, but I have had problems with the bottom die getting jammed in by scale.

Vaughn where are the pics?

I cleaned up the portable forge today. Replaced a few fasteners with “period correct” square head ones. Good thing I have a small inventory left over from farming days. Never would have thought I would WANT to use square head fasteners again

:

I added a trailer hitch ball to the “unfinished” end of the crank handle shaft. The extra weight should aid in momentum.

: