Blacksmithing tools - Page 20
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Looks like you're getting along quite well.

That fire screen is called just that, the screen or grate. The fine mesh you have in there won't last but a few minutes once you have the fire cooking good. Generally, I don't like plates with holes because the holes always want to get clogged up and are a pain to un-clog.

Better one long slot that's about 1/2" wide and 2" long. This lets the air through and is easy enough for you to clear should some clinker get in there.

got it running today I have a lot to learn and I have way to much air. with the slide gate closed I still had flame 3' in the air. I cut in a plumbing gate valve in the tube after the port into the fire pit (must be for cleaning out the ash)and just let that run to waste it made a huge difference. now I'm trying to figure out how much coal to have piled up. I finally got a chunk of metal red but by then I was tired. I have a bout 8" of coal above the blower hole. I need to make a heat deflector because the wind was blowing toward my motor dont want to melt that thing down. it was fun today it seems like I need a dark place to work a forge though.
    I made a new screen I did drill it but if it plugs up to bad I will cut in a grooved one. would a chimney help get rid the excess heat above the work area? it was hard to get close to mess with anything
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sweet… thought that arrangement would be blowing more air than you needed. Don't mind me... I'm just learning vicariously until I actually have a running forge of my own...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

You'll find those small holes will clog up real quick and be impossible to clean out.

Too much air? Yea, that happens. You can change out the pulleys so the fan is turning slower, or put in a dump gate so most of the air never makes it to the fire.

I saw one really smart smith who had a T in his line because the fan was too much..... and he pointed the T right at where he normally stood while tending the forge. He got a nice breeze to help cool off and the fire got enough breeze to do its thing!