Blacksmithing tools - Page 29
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Harbor Freight brush ^
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Harbor Freight brush ^
    Yep, but I've not found any others that are better. I've tried every store in the area, and all the brushes do the same thing after a month or three.

I'd love to understand the physics of what I'm doing that causes this, especially since I'm not seeing others complain about the same problem. My brushes never get to the point where the bristles are curled over and flattened out because they go bald in the middle right out of the gate. I don't think I'm being overly brutish in the application of force when I scrub off the flash rust, and 99% of my brushing is just on small hooks that I'm sure everyone else is making as well. Maybe I'm just making more of them than other smiths?

You can also try the casting resin you can get from Hobby Lobby or Michael's craft store. I think a small container of clear is about 6 dollars. That shpuld be enough for a few brushes.
    I would try wrapping with tape like you suggested. The clear casting resin I used before is about as thick as cheap syrup. You can tilt the brush around to get it into each section of base of the bristles then maybe another 1/8 to 1/4" thick.
    The clear I used was capable of being poured in layers and bonds to itself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I'll look into that casting resin next time I'm in town. I have a brand new brush in the cupboard that I can use as a test piece.

VaughnT, Maybe consider trying a stainless steel hand wire brush. I use the basic hand ones like that and rarely have them wear that way. Mine always wear at the end .

Bob I rarely see stainless steel hand brushes at local stores. Perhaps I am not looking very good.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Perhaps I am not looking very good.
    Post a photo so we can confirm. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    ....stainless steel hand wire brush.....
    Already tried that. A lot of the times, you can buy a two-pack that's got a stainless and carbon brush. I thought the stainless might last longer, but nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

I tried posting a pic from my phone to play along but the image size was way to big :/ I don't think my butt is that big.

Trying this again.

Name:  20190305_124206.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  75.0 KB

I’ll try to remember to think twice before posting smart azz comments...

:

I’ll try to remember to think twice before posting smart azz comments...

Well I'll look on the bright side of things. Because I was trying to post that picture, I downloaded a pic resize tool for my phone and learned how to use it just for you

Proving once again that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction....
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Yeah. Tony patted himself on the back and I gave my head a smack.
    :

Lol ^

So I was taking note on the brushes and watched the video where the pig tail curled handle was maid in the beginning of this video and today I watched this one. I learned a lot from watching this video and really like this style handle in this video below. I want to try to make some handles like this some day when/if I get set up for smithing.

N2welding, Tony, thanks for that video. My brush came with a wooden handle but really like that rolled twisted one shown first. I may have to try making these. I gotta make a fuller and the hardy hole attachment. I need to make a assortment anyway.
    It is amazing watching these professionals in action. It looks so easy until you try it. I was surprised he drilled holes instead of hot punching , probably too small to punch.
    Thanks again

So I was taking note on the brushes and watched the video where the pig tail curled handle was maid in the beginning of this video and today I watched this one. I learned a lot ....
    I just watched that video last night. Torbjorn really is amazing and his videos are likely the best on the net. I was surprised when he actually talked in this one.

Never thought about doing a handle like he did. The way he cupped it seems almost contrary to how you'd want it, but now that I see it..... it makes sense and looks like it'd be comfortable.

I like the detail of using the chalk marks on the anvil to make the triangle at the base of the circle.

I initially thought he was using the chalk marks to help him make sure it was even as he thinned it out. That is probably what he was doing but the triangle is a nice touch.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

I liked the way he laid out the right angle on the anvils for thinning the rounds and making the triangle styling at the base of the handle as well. I was thinking this handle would look good on a wooden gate or barn door etc.

Not your typical home made tongs well at least not as far as I know.

Oh yeah and not your typical Rail Road Track Anvil build.

Where'd everybody go?

Today's adventure was the long-awaited cleaning up of the hardy hole on my big ol' Fisher anvil. That thing was as wonky as you could ask for, with almost 1/8" of the face plate intruding into the cast opening. Lots of grinding, and I wore out a carbide end mill, but she's almost finished.

I was hoping that I could get it sized to take some square tube that I've used in the past after squishing in the sides, but so far no luck. Seems like the corner radii aren't sized right, and I'm not sure I want to take more metal off the anvil when it might be easier to grind down the tube.

ETA:

Okay, had to double check and I was, sadly, right. The tube I was using after the squish measures 1-1/4" and doesn't fit even when I try to feed it in from the underside of the heel. 1" fits fine but has way too much slop in it to be practical without using some type of sleeve. So, I need to stock up on 1-1/8" square tube.
    Last edited by VaughnT; Yesterday at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Where'd everybody go?

Today's adventure was the long-awaited cleaning up of the hardy hole on my big ol' Fisher anvil. That thing was as wonky as you could ask for, with almost 1/8" of the face plate intruding into the cast opening. Lots of grinding, and I wore out a carbide end mill, but she's almost finished.

I was hoping that I could get it sized to take some square tube that I've used in the past after squishing in the sides, but so far no luck. Seems like the corner radii aren't sized right, and I'm not sure I want to take more metal off the anvil when it might be easier to grind down the tube.
    I had to do the same with my Peter Wright to accommodate 1.25 square tube. Die grinder, double cut flat bastard, gloves and lots of swear words....

:

Vaughn, what about running some beads along the 1” stock and grinding to fit?

:

I have not been able to post in this thread or the blacksmithing thread due to that lingering tendon issue in my right arm. I still visit this section as well as the FB Blacksmith For Beginners and IFI threads.

It is more than a bit irritating to have spent a good chunk of money getting the smithing area built and outfitted only to damage my arm just as it went up. I am trying to take the long view and know that if I let my arm rest now instead of hurting it more, it will be better later.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Vaughn, what about running some beads along the 1” stock and grinding to fit?
    That's an excellent idea. I'll give it a try when I get into the shop just to see what it'll take to make for a snug fit. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have not been able to post in this thread or the blacksmithing thread due to that lingering tendon issue in my right arm. I still visit this section as well as the FB Blacksmith For Beginners and IFI threads.

It is more than a bit irritating to have spent a good chunk of money getting the smithing area built and outfitted only to damage my arm just as it went up. I am trying to take the long view and know that if I let my arm rest now instead of hurting it more, it will be better later.
    Sorry to hear about the arm. Though, that does sound like a solid justification for buying a hammer and/or press.

I blew out my arms and back when I was doing the armored-car work years ago. I had hoped the damage would get better after a few years away from that industry, but nope. Nothing quite like the sweet pain caused by a few hours hammering!