Blacksmithing tools - Page 33
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Re: Blacksmithing tools

While I was getting my little 100# tank filled, I thought about buying a big 500 gallon yard tank and just having them come out every few months to fill it up. The only downside is trying to save money for when that big ol' bill comes due. Right now, $60 - $100 is easy enough to come buy every other month. I can't imagine what it'd cost me to fill up a big tank, and I know me well enough to know I'd run that thing until it was bone dry!

On the upside, I just remembered a small metal fab shop that's just a few miles down the road. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they can roll the rings and save me the hassle.

I thought I might put it up on casters, but maybe just some steel tube as outriggers would be good enough. I don't see me rolling it around too much and I can always add casters to it some time down the road. All the casters at the box stores are rather boring and generic, lacking that strong industrial vibe. The few I've found on ebay are nice and have the industrial look.... but they only seem to come in fits and spurts. I can get four, but not five. Do I need five to space out the load and prevent tipping? Probably not, but since I'm here and tinkering...

So aggravating sometimes.

Use five Vaughn. You won’t regret it.

You will note that all quality office chairs have five swivel casters, not four. No one wants to see a fat assed clerk rolling around on the floor. Not a pretty sight and down right unprofessional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

That's what I was thinking, but finding 5 of the same caster for a decent price is tricky. On the used market, you can get some really cool, industrial casters that are sure to have the durability needed..... but they always come in a four-pack. As soon as you switch to looking for new, the quality/appearance tanks and the price doubles.

But, that just makes the hunt more fun. I'll find something with that right look before too long. If I have put up with just the outriggers for now, I can do that. Eventually, world domination will be mine!

This showed up on the Facebook site this morning. It was made for bending rebar, but I can see a home made version being adapted for making flat, round or square metal rings.

Name:  anvil480_n.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  257.0 KB
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Very slick!

I see it already useful for making dinner triangle bells.

Are the small holes supposed to be for a stop pin so you can get repeatable angles?

That's what I was thinking. It would be good for bends, but I can see changes would be necessary for 180 degree bends and more variability for diameter. I assume a long steel tube slipped over the short stub. I would want something longer and firmly attached to work with.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

How much were they asking? Did you buy it?
    :

It wasnt for sale. It was owned by the grandfather of one of the members

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Ah. Thanks, Pat.

:

Yea... the cool stuff is always a half a continent away...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Here is a deal for someone. An interesting repait to an anvil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I’ll admit it IS interesting. Think I’ll pass.

:

I'd buy it just because it's super cool. Old repairs like that really drive home how difficult life was back in those days. Today, we'd likely never work hard enough to break an anvil, but if we did, it'd be easier/faster/cheaper to just order a new anvil and have it shipped to our door in a couple days.

I just got my forge fired up for the first time with a refractory lining. It seems to be a good start. And my new Holland Anvil is waiting at Fastenal for me to pick it up!

I used the forge to burn the core out of a cast ribbon-burner nozzle that I am working on.

That's fantastic!

Congratulations. You're well on your way to some interesting adventures!

Are you short on space? Don't have the room you'd like for laying out larger pieces?

Lately, I've been thinking about adapting the draftsman's table for smithing use.

Instead of having a large layout table in the middle of your shop, always in the way, the angled table against the wall gives you plenty of room to both draw out your design, and assemble it.

Yes, it's at an angle, but that's entirely workable even for something as large as a garden fence. Honestly, 90% of the people interested in smithing are doing very small pieces and the need for a big table just isn't there. The big table does allow you to do things, but I think most folks would easily survive with a 3x5 flat table and never feel like they're short of space.

Just a thought at the moment. My current location has all the wall space blocked up something awful so I won't be able to try this out any time soon. Still, as a thought experiment, I'm having a hard time seeing how it wouldn't work. Hinge it to the wall, weld on some reinforcement bars, make sure the ledge is parallel to the floor and plumb to the edge of the table.... seems like it's be perfectly suitable as well as giving you a better view of what you're building.

The draftsman's table was designed just so it did give you a better view and more ergonomic work station. Why wouldn't it work for a lot of the basic layout and assembly of things like grilles and gates?

Hmmm.... yesterday someone had a folding table on facebook. I never kept the clip, but it hinged to the wall with castors under it so when it was unfolded you could move it away from the wall so you could walk around it. The big advantage was that it folded up so you couldn't load it up with junk.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Hmmm.... yesterday someone had a folding table on facebook.
    I saw that same clip and thought it was brilliant. My only problem would be keeping the thing clean of junk so it could actually be folded up and stored back on the wall!

With the draftsman table design, though, you don't have to lay it out flat and then worry about cleaning it off so it can go back up on the wall. Because they're at an angle, they take up far less space than a conventional table but still let you do layout and such. The only thing you couldn't do is assemble something like a plant stand. For gates, grills, bracket and such.... seems like it would work well enough if you have it angled about 15º off the wall.

I still haven't managed to find a shop that can roll the rings for my new tool carousel, but we're moving forward with the base.

I opted for red tires on spoked cast iron wheels just because it looked sexy. Cost a lot, but better to go with something durable and not have to worry about it. I'll likely never roll the rack out of the way, but it'll be a nice feature just in case it does have to be moved.

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  27.2 KB

I thought about some locking casters, but don't really see the need. I'm on a concrete slab and can always chock the wheels if the slab isn't level.

These will raise the carousel 5" in total which puts what used to be the floor plate up to a nice height to grab things off of. I'll load it down with some heavier stuff like my guillotine, headache ball and box of chain just to add ballast where it's needed. Since I can raise and lower the other three levels, it shouldn't be any problem to organize things how I like.

Got to admit I'm getting a little giddy over the whole thing!

Blacksmithing tools

So I decided to get a new anvil because I didn’t like any of the used options around here (140 lb Holland).

I tried starting a pair of tongs as my first attempt bashing metal:

And my ribbon burner seems to work:

I was pretty happy to get the diffuser thrown together from sheet metal (I haven’t worked with that before):

Nice anvil...looks like you're off to a great start!
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Looks like you're on the way to doing good stuff.

Are you planning taking off the plywood from the anvil stand or is that a box full of sand?

I picked up a box of hammers the other day for $20 Cdn. The pipe wrenches and claw hammers I’ll give away to someone who can use them.

The rest will reside in the “smithy”.

I might build a rack if I ever come across a bunch more.

:

Sweet haul. That straight-peen looks like it could have been made by hand from an old axle or the like. Maybe it was designed for hot cutting? Cold chisel? Either way, really nice item to have in the shop.