Blacksmithing tools - Page 34
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Re: Blacksmithing tools

That’s what I was thinking about the straight peen. The non peen end is badly mushroomed from hammer blows to it. I will need to dress it.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    The non peen end is badly mushroomed from hammer blows to it.

Not that one...... the other straight peen. The hot cut with the mushroomed end is definitely a hot cut, but that other hammer looks like it's been made from some kind of round shafting in someone's shop. I love tools like that because you always wonder what was going on that they needed something made up right then and there!

Ah that one. Might be hot cut also. Little bit of ‘shroomin’ goin on.

Here’s a close up

And check out the homemade chipping hammer. How cool is that???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Oh, wow. Thanks for the close-ups!

Those are super cool and I'm officially going to make a chipping hammer like that just to say I did it!

If you ever decide you want to be rid of that straight peen, I know a good home for it!

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Oh, wow. Thanks for the close-ups!

Those are super cool and I'm officially going to make a chipping hammer like that just to say I did it!

If you ever decide you want to be rid of that straight peen, I know a good home for it!
    So you DO like them huh? Do I know you or what!!!

:

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I picked up a box of hammers the other day for $20 Cdn....

/20424aa6c1de5be0d6cd65adb0a000df.jpg[/IMG]

I might build a rack if I ever come across a bunch more.
    I see you guys finally woke up... was going to say I go to the field and everyone falls asleep over here. Nice haul there Terry. Speaking of things to hold tools, I got bit by another Princess Auto sale and the 300 lb. tool cart that was on sale for $60. I was expecting to have to repaint the Power Fist blue, so I was pleasantly surprised to open the box and find a black one to match my tool boxes. I didn't like the top shelf for dropping heavy parts etc. on so I added 2x6's and a 3/8 plywood to bring up closer to the edge and absorb some gentle pounding. For a smithy the same could be done with fire bricks and corrigated metal. I don't expect the bubble wrap to last long, but it's pretty for now...

Name:  IMG_1258.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  87.7 KBName:  IMG_1285.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  104.0 KBName:  IMG_1287.jpg
Size:  101.7 KBName:  IMG_1289.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  139.6 KB
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I see you guys finally woke up... was going to say I go to the field and everyone falls asleep over here. Nice haul there Terry. Speaking of things to hold tools, I got bit by another Princess Auto sale and the 300 lb. tool cart that was on sale for $60. I was expecting to have to repaint the Power Fist blue, so I was pleasantly surprised to open the box and find a black one to match my tool boxes. I didn't like the top shelf for dropping heavy parts etc. on so I added 2x6's and a 3/8 plywood to bring up closer to the edge and absorb some gentle pounding. For a smithy the same could be done with fire bricks and corrigated metal. I don't expect the bubble wrap to last long, but it's pretty for now...

Name:  IMG_1258.jpg
Size:  87.7 KBName:  IMG_1285.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  104.0 KBName:  IMG_1287.jpg
Size:  101.7 KBName:  IMG_1289.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  139.6 KB
    REALLY good idea for that top shelf! Have a beer on me.

Don’t doze off on the tractor. ( Been there done that!)

:

Excellent purchase, Les. I've been considering one of those for beside the drill press to help organize things. I never get them when they're on sale, sadly.

Right now, my eyes are on some shelf drawer units on ebay. I'm torn between two of them, one with a plywood carcass and the other that appears to be all aluminum. Both are nice, and both would allow me to organize some little odds and ends. All of my shelves and cabinets could benefit from some drawer units, but finding units that have the right drawer dimensions isn't easy!

When I pull vehicles or the tractor into the shop for a quick minor repair, I need something to set parts on and hold the wrenches I'm using. One of the drawbacks to large toolboxes is that they are heavy and cumbersome to drag around the shop. "If" I can keep from loading this up with junk, it's an easy to move shelf to work on smaller parts. The last small unit I bought for beside the drill press actually ended up quite heavy once all the bits, taps and pullers got put in it. Picked this one up on sale last winter for $250 when they expanded the local Cdn. Tire. I also made a plywood top for it to protect the paint, but I doubt I'll use it after this last purchase.

Name:  DSCN4216.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  73.6 KB
    Last edited by whtbaron; 06-09-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Anyone near Michigan, this could be a good opportunity to get some great tools for the shop.

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...d-bschilc10098

I just grabbed up a dozen or so vise grips and c-clamps (all horror freight stuff) so I'm good for most everything I could afford to have mailed to me. That said, I'd dearly love to get some of the stuff they have listed there!

What could I possibly do with those big angles? No idea, and i sure don't have room for them, but dang are they beautiful!

It'd be worth a road trip just to get my picture taken beside some iron that big!

I was going to guess they are close to 5 feet tall and after looking at the auction it seems they are 57"x24"x29 3/4". I wonder how many hundreds of pounds they weigh?

I don't even know what size machine you would need to use them or what you would do with the angle plates that size but I agree they are really cool looking.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I can't imagine either one weighs much under a ton. It's hard to get a sense of sale and how thick they must be.

As for what to do with them.... weren't we just talking about using a draftsman's table as a vertical assembly platform?

I could see these babies being used for all sorts of things around the shop if I had to room to use them. If nothing else, I'd build a bench seat that clipped into one of the t-slots and make me a proper throne!

A throne is a great idea. You could turn it into your own version of a Blacksmith Game of Thrones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Bolted end to end, they'd make a great welding table, but I'm not sure if my concrete floor could support them!
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Les, that's a very good idea, and certainly thinking outside the box!

There was a table much like you describe on ebay some time ago. It might still be there, too. I thought it was super sexy and really wanted it, but didn't have the room or the funds -- like usual.

That auction has a couple more big angles and some big tables that I'd dearly love to call mine. When I win the lottery, I'm going on a serious buying spree!!!

I seem to find myself thinking smaller or more portable these days... maybe it's an age thing. My next welding table will be thicker, but I'll use extensions or stands to deal with larger projects. Most of the things I work on just don't need that kind of size or support. My wall hanger axe had me thinking about some mates to hang beside it. I knew I had picked up a couple old axe heads in the field, but I didn't realize I had 6 of them! The interesting part is that a couple of them are heavily mushroomed like the old tools Terry posted. Apparently when they were cutting roots to clear this land, they hit the axe with a big hammer. Since they are down to wall hangers anyway, I'll probably leave the shroom effects. One of them was definitely softer when I took it to the grinder, so I suspect it's been subjected to fire at some point. I guess I've been genetically predetermined to own an antique axe collection since my ancestors were as bad as me at forgetting where they left things. I just noticed in the background of my pics is also an old pick that I want to make a giant handle for to go with the broad axe.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Blacksmithing tools

Here’s a few pics showing punching a seized bolt through a piece of angle iron from the OUTSIDE edge using a BFH and punch on the swage block.

Supporting it in a bench vise would have most likely broken a jaw.

The hydraulic press would have worked but setup would have been finicky and time consuming.

Bolt displayed partially out in upside down position for photo

In punch position showing hole supported on three sides (sort of)

Out.

Last edited by Lis2323; 06-13-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    :

Beautiful!

Interesting... I've used the hole in a piece of RR track before, but never thought of an open side like that... have to remember that one. Was working on an old go-kart that got abandoned 20 yrs ago with the grandson who's showed a renewed interest (he's 14 now). It's crazy how things that fit together easily have seized so solid over the years with a little rust. I was using pieces of an old tractor drawbar (much stronger than the cast plates that came with my chinese press) , heat and a lot of pounding... and you still would have learned a few new words.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Les, try cutting or grinding a notch in the side of the RR track anvil.
    :

Maybe... I'm not sure track would be my first choice for that job... quite brittle. Maybe a big chunk of C channel or something similar? Maybe a V notch so I could keep moving in as the project got smaller...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

V notch would be an excellent idea.

:

Hmmm.... perhaps something that could be used on a solid bench top or placed in the press... maybe with a 2nd piece to fit in the V (with one flat side) that could be used to hold the project solid.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I'm gonna say I'm fully loaded on vise-grips and c-clamps for awhile.

Name:  IMG_1286.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  100.2 KB

I went on something of a shopping spree when my auction buddy told me he needed to clean out a relatives workshop. The guy wasn't anything of a craftsman and bought the cheap-o harbor freight stuff, but it'll still find a use around the shop.

The larger metal trash can will be a real boon around the shop both for it's "industrial" look and the fact that I can stand tongs or short bars in it. No idea what I'll use it for, but it'll certainly get used. The smaller can will help organize the shelves I just installed. Again, though, I have no idea what I'll put in it.

Lots of other stuff not in the pics, but I had to take a good bunch out just to get a relatively clear picture of what there was. The punches and chisels were all "Pittsburgh" tools from HF and won't last more than a few minutes, but they're better than nothing and will be good for jobs where I don't want to ding up good tools.

So, $100 all in and I'm quite happy with that. Now I just need to come up with a good way to organize all the stuff.

Blacksmithing tools

Nice haul, Vaughn! You can never have enough clamps.

This is a simple rack I made for visegrip tools.

Material

I just eyeballed the cuts.

Put a little bend to add a lip

Welded it up

Mounted on slatwall

Closeup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal
    Last edited by Lis2323; 06-16-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    :