Blacksmithing tools - Page 35
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Re: Blacksmithing tools

That's a very slick idea!

I'll have to keep an eye out for some thin angle. I think a rack like that would work well with a few magnets to hold it on the side of my big tool cabinet.

Geez Terry... nice rack.... lol... can't believe I said that! I dunno Vaughn, that pail full of clamps looks like about 20 lbs worth so you're going to need more than magnets to hold it up when you start grabbing things in a hurry. Must have been father's day in the shop, I was thinking about the earlier post of devising better methods of holding things for hammering and in the press (since I don't have a nice big swage block like Terry's). Yukon says the cheap cast iron plates are a no-no...
    Name:  IMG_1345.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  294.6 KB
    These are the pieces of JD drawbar that I have been using ... pretty much indestructible and the holes come in handy too...
    Name:  IMG_1349.jpg
Size:  95.1 KB
    I'm eyeing up broken parts from the deep tiller again. This plate was replaced because of the crack by the bolt hole and the new shank didn't fit it. If I had 2 of them with shapes cut into the edge, I could hold them together in the press with threaded rod welded to the ends. It would be much sturdier and safer. The upright ends would need to be cut off.
    Name:  IMG_1367.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  96.2 KB

After complaining about how hard my big tool chest was to move around, I decided it needed a new handle. Small screw up, I should have welded on the bottom instead of the top... oh well... it works. Even found some plastic caps in the junk drawer to finish it up.
    Name:  IMG_1360.jpg
Size:  77.9 KBName:  IMG_1365.jpg
Size:  63.5 KB
    Last edited by whtbaron; 06-17-2019 at 12:49 AM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Les you could prob make something work with that shank bracket. Tool box handle looks cool. I suppose you could have motorized it and made it self propelled....

And thanks for the compliment..... I think.
    :

Grandson convinced me to drag an old go-kart out of the weeds (literally)... one motorized project at a time is enough... this one needs a lot of love.Name:  IMG_1363.jpg
Size:  120.7 KB
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Nice, those chain vise grips are my favorite for rolling pipe welds. You never gave enough vise grips either. I lost track and still cannot pass up a pair at garage sales. I always buy ball pein hammers, chisels, and punches CHEAP ! Then I give them to the young kids I'm teaching.
    PVC socket caps fit perfect on black schedule 40 pipe by the way. I know they do on the real made in USA stuff . That import junk maybe a little tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacksmithing tools

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I lost track and still cannot pass up a pair at garage sales. I always buy ball pein hammers, chisels, and punches CHEAP ! Then I give them to the young kids I'm teaching.

That’s awesome Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Nice rack, Lis! I mean for the vice grips....

Since we are talking about vise grips and clamps I thought I would share this recent score.
    I bought these 18" bar style vise grip clamps for only $5 each from my local Tractor Supply Company store.
    They are pretty good quality. Much better or tighter than Harbor Freight but not as good as Bessey. For only $5 each they seem well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com