Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Nice design. Built by a farmer of course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    they look decent as well.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Found a mystery tool while cleaning and organizing.

Name:  IMG_7153.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  97.7 KB

It's not a blacksmith tool, though, as it's clearly machined to very high tolerances. You can just make out lightening holes and slots in the legs of the angle, as well as a clearance hole drilled at the inside juncture.

Could it be a machinist's custom-made square? Maybe it's a standard for calibrating something?

Whoever made it sure took a lot of effort to package it so it wouldn't be damaged. That's 1.25" foam and a whole bunch of cellophane wrapping. Even after all this time, there's only a very little bit of corrosion on the thing, and that due to the wrapping being punctured one corner.

Should I open it? Should I sent it to Abom79 as a mystery gift? I know I don't have any use for something so nicely made.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Nice design. Built by a farmer of course

Of course! I've always thought of my job as more problem solver than farmer. Grain will grow by itself... livestock will reproduce on their own... if you solve all their problems.

Hey Vaughn, maybe you need to forge that piece and give it a little character and a new purpose in life.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Ha! No way I could bring myself to forge that angle! I don't know what it was meant for, but it belongs somewhere it'll be appreciated. I'd love to know what it was made for as someone obviously put a lot of time and care into it.

Watched that mobile vise stand video again, and now I'm hankering to buy one of those Holland swage blocks just so I can make a mobile stand for it and the vise I have. Ugh!

I do need the vise on a stand so it can be used, but, dang, if things don't keep piling up on me!

I found this file thing in my pile of junk tools. I am thinking it could make an interesting fuller for texturizing. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Thats an old school lead file for body work on cars before bondo became the standard

Good idea, Pat. Give it a try.
    :

Before you do that, try it as a hot rasp. I'd be curious to see what kind of finish it leaves compared to the ubiquitous farrier's rasp everyone loves.

Yep... that's a body file for metal finishing... sheet metal or lead. I want to put one on a straight line air sander for metal finishing.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Here’s a view from my shop through the office window showing off my new “Saturday nite -go to town” smithi’n shirt.

Most likely Vaughn’s very first shirt into Canada!

:

Awesome pic.
    Mine travelled to Texas last week so everyone in the Dallas airport saw Three Rivers Forge.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

You guys are awesome!

Terry, not only are you the only person in all of Canada to have that shirt, but you're the only guy north of the Mason-Dixon Line to be sporting such haute couture!

1 to Canada. 1 to Hungary. 2 to America. And then the dozen or so I've got for my own self.....

Versace and Gucci got nothing on me!!

Congrats!
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I made this for bending 1/4" material.

Name:  20181216_202832.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  74.0 KBName:  20181216_202852.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  61.4 KB
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

That'll certainly get the metal moved! I'm of the firm opinion that you can't have too many bending options around the shop.

My brother just bought a small CNC tabletop mill thing and we're considering fab'ing up a prototype metal bender similar to the Goliath. Hopefully, we'll be able to come up with plans and enterprising folks can weld their own. Buying a new Goliath or similar is very very spendy!

They are not pretty, but my first attempts at hardy tools.
    A hot cut made from an old axe head and a spring fuller. I still need to weld some round bar. Trying to decide between 1/2" or 5/8".

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Looks great, hoss.

You'll find a use for fullers in all diameters. Some things look best with a 1/4" fuller. Some really need a 3/4".

There's no wrong one to start with unless you're planning on making something in particular. I use 1/2" fullers for my dragon tail bottle openers and think that's just about right for the visual transition between the head and tail.

Just forged up two of them for a lady in Canada and I'm pretty sure I'll be discontinuing those things as they're a pain to make. Once I add in the twist, getting the handle portion bent around and looking good is a genuine nightmare! Everything else is pretty fun.... and then I get to the handle. Ugh!

This kids great. High energy and pushing hard to improve, very fun vids

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Looks great, hoss.

You'll find a use for fullers in all diameters. Some things look best with a 1/4" fuller. Some really need a 3/4".

There's no wrong one to start with unless you're planning on making something in particular. I use 1/2" fullers for my dragon tail bottle openers and think that's just about right for the visual transition between the head and tail.

Just forged up two of them for a lady in Canada and I'm pretty sure I'll be discontinuing those things as they're a pain to make. Once I add in the twist, getting the handle portion bent around and looking good is a genuine nightmare! Everything else is pretty fun.... and then I get to the handle. Ugh!
    Sounds good. I guess I will start with a 1/2" fuller. I had planned on welding the round bar parallel the flat bar since that way does not seem to limit the length of material you can work on. The fullers with the round bar perpendicular to the flat bar seem a bit limited. Are those thoughts correct, or is it another case of there is no wrong way dependent upon what you are working on?

If you don't mind, can you post a pic of the dragon tail bottle opener? I don't think I have seen one.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Sounds good. I guess I will start with a 1/2" fuller. I had planned on welding the round bar parallel the flat bar since that way does not seem to limit the length of material you can work on. The fullers with the round bar perpendicular to the flat bar seem a bit limited. Are those thoughts correct, or is it another case of there is no wrong way dependent upon what you are working on?
    You're spot on with your thinking.

Having an adjustable fence or some kind of stop can be handy when you're doing multiples of stuff, but a general-purpose fuller should have plenty of room to slide the work through. I can't remember the last time I needed an adjustable fence. Maybe if you're doing the fuller on a knife blade, but for 99.999% of smithing they are more unnecessary than necessary.

The Dragon Tail opener started as something to help students practice their smithing and not make yet another stupid s-hook. It incorporates as many of the basic movements of smithing as I could think of.

The head and tail are isolated from each other by a fullering. You can do it all with the edge of the anvil or the horn and hammer, but setting them apart with a fuller is quick and easy and gives you a nice shoulder radius. Generally, I'll draw out the tail first so I don't have to guess at how much length I'll need. Then fuller in the shoulder when I think I have enough material for the tail. Only after that do I worry about punching the square hole or cutting it free from the parent bar.

Bending that twisted tail is a thorough and complete pain in the butt! Or, I should say that bending it and getting it looking decent is a complete pain in the butt! It's the only bottle opener I make, and I think I keep it around just so I have a bottle opener in the repertoire. It's seems to be a law that blacksmiths make bottle openers, and stupid me wasn't satisfied with just any ol' opener!

Oh , I like that! Wonder how many $ of acetylene I'll burn off with the rosebud trying to make one without a forge? I know... get some coal and a brake rotor...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Oh , I like that! Wonder how many $ of acetylene I'll burn off with the rosebud trying to make one without a forge? I know... get some coal and a brake rotor...
    Or an old weber style bbq pit and hair dryer with some tubing fixed to the bbq pit.

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Honestly, you'd not burn much. Just use the OA to cut the tail out of the bar. Then grind it smooth and do the twist.

I've thought about having the blanks cut out by someone with a laser or water-jet, but I don't sell nearly enough of them to make it worth it. I'd love nothing more than to not have to forge that long tail out of the parent stock!

You just have to maintain the parent thickness, for the most part, so you get a decent twist out of it. Other than that, it's just 3/4"x3/16" bar. Name:  IMG_7198.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  103.2 KB

So, I went to an estate sale today.

Totally loaded up on neat stuff for really good prices! I could have bought more, and should have, but my buddy was running the show and told me to come back on Saturday when they'd be allowed to negotiate on prices just to get rid of any leftovers.

Today's scores included three GTD tap handles, including a ratcheting t-handle that's practically new. The larger handles were with a 1-gallon glass jar that was chock full of taps and dies. He was selling the whole jar as one unit, asking $60. I couldn't afford to buy the whole jar, though, so I'm hoping it's still there come Saturday. I'm sure it won't be, but I'll still be heading down there to check it out. I thought really hard about buying the whole jar because I know I could get all the taps and dies I might need and be able to make my money back by selling the leftovers, but I just didn't have the cash. If it's there on Saturday and I can get it for less, great. If not, no real big deal. I can't remember the last time I needed to thread something so I'm not really in a pinch for the things. I just wanted them because it's my newest addiction!

I also got two large Bessey F-clamps for next to nothing. The one has the rotating pad broken, but nothing I can't fix. I figure the pair should have cost me at least $80 if I'd tried buying them new. Needless to say, I didn't come anywhere close to that. I didn't even pay as much as Tractor Supply is asking for their cheap chinese look-a-like clamps.

The funny part is that I saw the clamps in the pics my buddy posted when he advertised the sale and that's the only reason I went down there. When I got there, though, I decided against buying them because I didn't want to spend the money. But, as I did the first pass-through and grabbed up the smalls, I took a smoke break and pondered the situation. Went back to look at the clamps and saw that they were Bessey.... and that was all she wrote! I snatched them up, money be damned.

Oh, and I snagged a new-in-box "vintage" Jacobs 33B drill chuck. I'm a sucker for the graphics on these old boxes and couldn't pass it up. I don't have any use for it, but maybe I'll find a good home for it. If nothing else, it can sit in the shop and remind me of a good day with good people.

I'll get some pictures snapped just as soon as I get into the shop. Couldn't be happier with my morning adventure!
    Last edited by VaughnT; 01-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.