Blacksmithing tools - Page 37
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 925 of 1001
  1. #901
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    2,406

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Hmmm.... good point on the square headed nuts and bolts... i routinely toss those in the recycle bin. That handle is a work of art... nice work. Do you think that's enough weight to make a noticeable difference?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  2. #902
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Hmmm.... good point on the square headed nuts and bolts... i routinely toss those in the recycle bin. That handle is a work of art... nice work. Do you think that's enough weight to make a noticeable difference?
    Probably not, but I like to think so.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Very slick! I like how it looks, and I'm sure it'll help keep the fan going another rep or two.....

    I finally managed to drag myself out to the shop and even remembered to snap a picture like I promised.

    Name:  fullsizeoutput_78f.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  199.2 KB

    Later, I'll dress her up with some files and flap disk. Then I'll have to make a sleeve for the hardy hole. Right after I get something accomplished on that blasted tool carousel I've been sidelining for ages.
    Last edited by VaughnT; 07-03-2019 at 04:28 PM.

  4. #904
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Nice addition to the shop.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  5. #905
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Blacksmithing tools

    Cool Vaughn. What are the aprx dimensions of that cone mandrel? What size hardy stem does it have ?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 07-03-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    :

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Cool Vaughn. What are the aprx dimensions of that cone mandrel? What size hardy stem does it have ?
    11" long at the cone. 4" wide. 11Pounds w/ a 1" stem.

    The surface is rough enough that I think some light sanding/filing is necessary. It'd probably wear smooth as I use it, but it's rough enough that I worry about the texture it might leave before it smooths out.

    Were I in Canada, I'd reach out to Newman Forge and Pattern 905 544 5691, in Hamilton Ontario. John Newman is a great guy and always seems to be coming up with something neat. Haven't seen him around the internet much since he isn't on IFI anymore. Of course, IFI tends to run off all the best talent.

    John's the guy that makes those sexy rotating swage blocks.

  7. #907
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    11" long at the cone. 4" wide. 11Pounds w/ a 1" stem.

    The surface is rough enough that I think some light sanding/filing is necessary. It'd probably wear smooth as I use it, but it's rough enough that I worry about the texture it might leave before it smooths out.

    Were I in Canada, I'd reach out to Newman Forge and Pattern 905 544 5691, in Hamilton Ontario. John Newman is a great guy and always seems to be coming up with something neat. Haven't seen him around the internet much since he isn't on IFI anymore. Of course, IFI tends to run off all the best talent.

    John's the guy that makes those sexy rotating swage blocks.
    John is a friend of a friend. . I talked to him on the phone a few years back. He makes awesome cast firepots also.

    My friend has one of his rotating swageblocks. They are just too cool! I’m pretty certain these at Blacksmith Depot are his.

    https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/tru...age-block.html


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  8. #908
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Wonder if you can get the "friend of a friend" discount?

    I remember talk years about about casting up some of those rotating swage blocks. John was pretty frequent on IFI at the time, but I'm not sure if he got the idea from there or the conversation got started because he posted about it. Still, great guy to talk with and learn from.

    If I could, I'd have one of those blocks in a heartbeat. Every couple months, I tune back into this video just to marvel at the whole contraption, but especially the swage block in action.

    I've decided to borrow the design for my upcoming vise stand build. I'll leave a bit open on the end just in case I get some kind of swage.

  9. #909
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Very slick! I like how it looks, and I'm sure it'll help keep the fan going another rep or two.....

    I finally managed to drag myself out to the shop and even remembered to snap a picture like I promised.

    Name:  fullsizeoutput_78f.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  199.2 KB

    Later, I'll dress her up with some files and flap disk. Then I'll have to make a sleeve for the hardy hole. Right after I get something accomplished on that blasted tool carousel I've been sidelining for ages.
    I just noticed the recess in the side. Is that for the tongs to grab a ring? If so cool idea. Never seen that before. !!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  10. #910
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I just noticed the recess in the side. Is that for the tongs to grab a ring? If so cool idea. Never seen that before. !!

    1.25” square tube with .125” wall should work well for the hardy shim.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  11. #911
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I just noticed the recess in the side. Is that for the tongs to grab a ring?
    That's exactly what it's for. It's not limited to just rings as too often you want to make a curve that's close to where you can grab with tongs. I've always wondered why so few mandrels have the tong groove, but I'm betting most of them were used by wheelwrights and the like, making hoops that didn't need to be supported by tongs.

    I'll not be using the mandrel much, but it'll be nice to have in the shop and the purchase helped me feel good for a few minutes!

  12. #912
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I've decided to borrow the design for my upcoming vise stand build. I'll leave a bit open on the end just in case I get some kind of swage.
    First thing I though was it is very nice and would only be more user friendly if it had a couple of hydraulic bottle jacks instead of the manual car scissor lift jacks.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  13. #913
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    ... be more user friendly if it had a couple of hydraulic bottle jacks...
    I'm the odd duck that doesn't like bottle jacks. I've always found them really slow to move for as much pumping away you have to do at the handle! Now, maybe swap out the modern scissor-lift jack for something super cool from back in the day....


  14. #914
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I'm the odd duck that doesn't like bottle jacks. I've always found them really slow to move for as much pumping away you have to do at the handle! Now, maybe swap out the modern scissor-lift jack for something super cool from back in the day....

    I want that.....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  15. #915
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I want that.....
    They pop up on ebay all the time. There's some variation between makers, but the style doesn't change too much.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ant...AAAOSwjKFZXaUw
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vtg-An...gAAOSwHi1c4ZKP

    I love old jacks. There's something infinitely pleasing about the simple mechanisms and I wish I had a few dozen to line the shop walls.

  16. #916
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    This is the result of today’s shopping spree.

    Ball peen hammers $15 Cdn. And chisels $6 Cdn.

    Both from a tool vendor a few minutes away from my house. He leaves the stuff out for me and I leave the cash in his mailbox.

    His prices are always fair and I always pay his asking price.





    All stuff for my (hopefully) future blacksmith shop.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  17. #917
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    They pop up on ebay all the time. There's some variation between makers, but the style doesn't change too much.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ant...AAAOSwjKFZXaUw
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vtg-An...gAAOSwHi1c4ZKP

    I love old jacks. There's something infinitely pleasing about the simple mechanisms and I wish I had a few dozen to line the shop walls.
    Those are some really cool jacks at very reasonable prices. I would like to have one just for the look of it.
    I am sure I can integrate it into one of my sculptures

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  18. #918
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    This is the result of today’s shopping spree. All stuff for my (hopefully) future blacksmith shop.
    Sweet neighbor you've got! I love those little ballpeens. The thin handles really go well with the weight of the head and I can get a nice whipping action when I'm chasing a design into a pendant or dish. I only have one, but it was my Granddad's and will be with me til the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I would like to have one just for the look of it. I am sure I can integrate it into one of my sculptures
    Be careful. Once you feed the addiction, it gets very hard to stop. I'm still fighting a bad case of the housejack-itis and have to leave the room when I seem them lest I snatch it up. No rhyme or reason for it, no explanation as to why I'm so drawn to the things, but I seem to have a fetish for them!

  19. #919
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    That old Craftsman ball peen looks like a vintage Made in USA one. That's a collector's item. New handle and it's good to go!

  20. #920
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    That old Craftsman ball peen looks like a vintage Made in USA one. That's a collector's item. New handle and it's good to go!
    That’s the plan!
    :

  21. #921
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    2,406

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I'm the odd duck that doesn't like bottle jacks. I've always found them really slow to move for as much pumping away you have to do at the handle! Now, maybe swap out the modern scissor-lift jack for something super cool from back in the day....

    [IMG]
    I've got a pair of similar ones that I like for adjustable jack stands. Just be aware that the threads don't last forever and if you can, you should check them under load to see if they actually lift. One of mine gave out very quickly.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  22. #922
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Blacksmithing tools

    I picked up this vintage Henry Boker Made in Germany marking punch the other day.

    Nowhere near on my wish list let alone tool radar, but to quote Vaughn, when I saw it “I HAD TO HAVE IT”.



    The argument could be made that it was custom made for me. LOL




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 07-12-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    :

  23. #923
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    685

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    OMG! Yea, I'd have to buy that!

  24. #924
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    2,406

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    LOL... pretty nice, but makes you wonder what the original owner was making...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  25. #925
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    I’m guessing it was used to indicate the positive terminal on the rubber casing of automotive style wet cell batteries although I can’t say for certain.
    :

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement