Blacksmithing and forging - Page 19
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Re: Blacksmithing and forging

I'm a full time lawn mower repairman these days it seems...... last item I forged was the strap to reinforce that link from the cylinder to the spring on my power hammer.

I'm still working on the shop in my spare time, and until harvest and fall work is done, there's not much of that. Woke up today to a London fog and drizzle so I'm not making much headway in the field. Son is off working on the pipeline so I helped the daughter in law fix some leaks in the horses' trough. No beating metal, just JB weld. So boring. Nice work on the hooks though.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Trying out a new bowl/dish and got her finished tonight.

It's about 6-1/2" in diameter and only 1-1/4" deep. I was going for something a little deeper, but it just didn't work out how I was seeing it in my head. Still, not bad for a first try.

And while I was there, I had to make up a hook for a customer that needs to hang a giant whale rib from his wall! How frickin' cool is that?!?!

Wow. How did you get the bowl so perfect ,Vaughn ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

It's not perfect, but taking a picture from the right angle helps a lot!

One of the things I've found does wonders to even up the dishes is to flatten the bottom from the outside after you've done all your shaping to the made body. Heat the whole thing to a nice even heat, turn it upside down on a large flat surface, and use a 3" flatter to smooth the bottom down. Because the rim is supported evenly, the force of the flatter ends up stretching and pushing odd bits where they need to go.

Even a little variation in the heat will mean the cooler area is stronger and stiffer than the hotter areas, and this can cause things to go wonky on you. Or, you can use it to your benefit and cool off areas that you don't want flexing a lot.

Having some kind of form to work into helps keep things aligned and makes it easy to see where metal needs to be moved. The bottom of an gas cylinder works wonders. The steel pucks my dad makes are really workhorses, too. And you can't have too many ball-peen sizes and shapes. The more the better, imo.

That is nice... you should do a video on the process and post it here some time.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I liked the split-n-splayed hook design, so I decided to do up a sample for my display board.

I only have about a dozen more of the blasted finials to finish, then I can worry about fine-tuning them and putting them on a piece of wood. I'm thinking they'll all get painted black and then mounted on some plywood that I'll paint barn red. Saw a similar "antique" display board done similarly and I liked the look of it. Of course, nothing's set in stone so if you have suggestions.....

I think they look good. Do you use a portaband to make the cut or do a hot cut?

Have you thought about adding different surface textures or treatments to the story board?

Maybe have a long piece of flat bar and different textures along its length. Or just have different textures below the finials.

My problem is that I would over think it and then wonder about displaying different colors as well and the board would get too full.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Do you use a portaband to make the cut or do a hot cut?
    Yes and no. I don't really like using the hot-cut because that means you have to heat the metal up before you cut it and that entails a lot more work with less chance of getting it right the first time. Since these are for a permanent display, I opted for the portaband on the middle one and the angle grinder for the piece on the right. Just what I had on hand at the moment. Neither would have benefited from using a hot-cut, and the middle one really couldn't have been done with one. Whenever possible, I prefer to use saws and grinders because they allow for a greater level of precision, in my hands, and give you a nice flat cut face. The rag left behind by the hot cut, and the tapered face, means more work for you unless you're using that angled cut face as part of the overall design.

Have you thought about adding different surface textures or treatments to the story board? Maybe have a long piece of flat bar and different textures along its length. Or just have different textures below the finials.
    That's definitely something I'm thinking about. Right now, everything's on the drawing board, so to speak. I'll be happy just to get all these finials done well enough that I won't be too embarrassed to have them on display.

My problem is that I would over think it and then wonder about displaying different colors as well and the board would get too full.
    Welcome to my world, friend!

What I'm considering right now is to do this board only with finials like you see in the picture. With a dozen samples, that will make a decent display that's a good size to be seen yet easily moved. And, if the wood is large enough, I can put my shop name/logo in the center in large painted letters with the ironwork kind of framing it.

Then.... I start work on the second display board. That will have wall hooks of various sizes and configurations. Maybe something along the lines of that 366 Hooks project I posted about earlier. I even thought about doing a short length of 4x4 that I could hang from a bracket so it'd rotate. Put one or two hooks on each side so folks could see them in a "coatrack" setting. With it spinning in the breeze, it'd catch the eye and I think that'd be a neat exercise in design.

Then -- a third display that's only door handles?

Like you, I often get paralysis by analysis. It's really easy to think of something.... then change my mind before I even get started on it. Then I have to stop and think about it again just to make sure my original thinking wasn't as good as my second thoughts. Ugh!

I'd be a billionaire by now if I could just get on task and see it through!

Knowing that going into this, I opted to keep this first board as simple as possible. That's why I'm thinking it should be only the finials like you might find on a gate or strap hinge. It's enough work already, and it's been more than a year since I first had the notion. Now I have four finials done and have misplaced only one. There's a fifth in the forge ready to heat-n-beat. I had hoped to get it done today but had a visitor that took up more time than I planned on. So, tomorrow I get to make 20 hooks as well as newest addition to the display board.

Even after these finials are done, I'll have to go over each and every one of them to make sure they're "worthy" of being displayed. If not, they will need to be tweaked until they're ready. Gotta remember that this is something that'll live long after I'm gone.

Then everything has to be placed on the board and judged on the whole. Once that's done, I need to mark for all the screw holes so they'll like up as best as they can, then make the handles and hanging loops for the board, decide absolutely on what kind of paint color I want to use as the backdrop.....

Lots of work ahead, but it's fun and I'm trying to convince myself that I'm enjoying it.

I did manage to get a rune pendant finished for a customer over in Germany. I love sending rune pendants back to the homeland. A thousand years ago, Europeans were using runes. Today, they're using my runes. That's cool!
    Last edited by VaughnT; 09-26-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Seems I'm not the only one thinking a red backdrop on the display board would look good with the ironwork!

Name:  29243794_10213689214257153_5581319553840512146_n.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  109.0 KB

That is some magnificent forging from a real master of the craft. I like the perimeter he did, though I think the red part is too "flat" or textureless, if that makes sense.

I like the detail on that dragon... and the intricate cuts... great work. The word I'm looking for escapes me at the moment, but it seems to me it's a lot easier to make one side look good, that it is to make 2 sides that match so well.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I like the detail on that dragon... and the intricate cuts... great work. The word I'm looking for escapes me at the moment, but it seems to me it's a lot easier to make one side look good, that it is to make 2 sides that match so well.
    You may be thinking of the word "symmetry". I am wondering how he cuts the details in the pieces that are flat on the wall.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Ahhh yes... symmetry... who needs a thesaurus when we have the internet...hope he doesn't cheat and use the CNC for the base...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I am wondering how he cuts the details in the pieces that are flat on the wall.
    That kind of detail work is likely hogged out with hammer and chisel... then cleaned up with a fret saw and files.

He might start, nowadays, by having the blanks cut out with a laser or water jet, but he'd still have to leave plenty of mass to be removed by traditional methods since it is such fine detail.

That is some magnificent forging from a real master of the craft. I like the perimeter he did, though I think the red part is too "flat" or textureless, if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I bought a single color throw rug at a garage it use for my wall hanging stuff. It had a texture woven pattern (design) that really helped my work stand out. I don't if that's the right word either. It really accented my stuff. Display presentation helps bring people in. I always have a couple bells or gongs that provide noise to attract customers. Pat from PSAcustomcreations gets the blame for that. Thanks PAT !!

Ah Bob. Don’t need the bells. I’m certain it’s your winsome personality that attracts the customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Not something you see everyday. I've been trying to replicate this "pigskin" texture without luck. I don't know why it happens, but it happens often enough that you'd think I could pinpoint what's going on.

Quenched from a low heat, red to black depending on the mood, I get the most interesting things happening in the steel. It's just 1018 and quenched in room temp water, so why is this happening?

The pigskin pimples are almost 1/32" tall and solid. They aren't bubbles and they aren't scale. I've tried knocking them off or bursting them with a chisel... and they're as solid as the rest of the steel plate. So what's going on?

I'd be in hog heaven if I could repeat this and get it to spread across the whole plate. Not only would it save me a ton of hammering, but it looks and feels absolutely incredible.

[QUOTE=Lis2323;8647981]Ah Bob. Don’t need the bells. I’m certain it’s your winsome personality that attracts the customers.

Ahhhhh, Thanks The bells/gongs have a nice tone and the kids love them. Not to sure if neighboring vendors appreciate the noise.

I made up these key rings to sell as a self defense weapon. Instead of selling I gave them away to the young ladies and old ones too . I told them I hope you never need it but if you do it will definitely help. I added ones made from silverware knife handles too. Knife handles are finished on both sides so they are appealing . Easy quick cut, drill a hole , and touch up on sander.

Name:  IMG_1297 (1).jpg
Views: 103
Size:  79.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post

Not something you see everyday. I've been trying to replicate this "pigskin" texture without luck....

I'd be in hog heaven if I could repeat this and get it to spread across the whole plate.

Interesting.... I'm just guessing, but since it's happening on the corners, I'd say it has to have something to do with the interaction of the expanding metal and oxygen getting below the surface? Like you say, the bubbles themselves are solid, but something must be getting below them that expands more rapidly than the rest of the sheet...Maybe it's a question for the IFI crowd.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Almost done....

Name:  IMG_6937.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  105.9 KB

Had some parts and pieces laying around from an order I screwed up back in the beginning of the year, so I was really happy when a customer wanted a rack to display his flintlock rifle.

Still a good bit of work ahead as the things needs straightening and twisting and getting reasonably squared away. The big part is over, so it's the little details that'll vex me on the morrow!

Vaughn, plug welds on the back of the hooks? Nice hooks, BTW.

Those hooks and BD-1's key stand are making me think about what I need for a stand to hang my welding helmet and clothes on in the shop. The affliction strikes again...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Vaughn, plug welds on the back of the hooks? Nice hooks, BTW.
    Thank you. They are plug welded from the back. I was going to try peening the ends of the hooks, but couldn't find a good way of supporting the decorative end while doing it. So... I opted for the easier method!

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    ... a stand to hang my welding helmet and clothes on in the shop. The affliction strikes again...
    The affliction is always with us!

Saw this neat rack the other day and am just waiting to give it a try myself. I like that it's all one piece.

I've seen the same design done horizontally, but I like the vertical style better because it allows thing to stack up rather than needing them to compress against each other.

Here is a box I saw on the Blacksmith for Beginners Facebook page. Vaughn or others may be able to make something similar to display their items.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

And when they sell out they can use the box to carry all the cash home.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL