Blacksmithing and forging - Page 19
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Re: Blacksmithing and forging

I'm a full time lawn mower repairman these days it seems...... last item I forged was the strap to reinforce that link from the cylinder to the spring on my power hammer.

I'm still working on the shop in my spare time, and until harvest and fall work is done, there's not much of that. Woke up today to a London fog and drizzle so I'm not making much headway in the field. Son is off working on the pipeline so I helped the daughter in law fix some leaks in the horses' trough. No beating metal, just JB weld. So boring. Nice work on the hooks though.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Trying out a new bowl/dish and got her finished tonight.

It's about 6-1/2" in diameter and only 1-1/4" deep. I was going for something a little deeper, but it just didn't work out how I was seeing it in my head. Still, not bad for a first try.

And while I was there, I had to make up a hook for a customer that needs to hang a giant whale rib from his wall! How frickin' cool is that?!?!

Wow. How did you get the bowl so perfect ,Vaughn ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

It's not perfect, but taking a picture from the right angle helps a lot!

One of the things I've found does wonders to even up the dishes is to flatten the bottom from the outside after you've done all your shaping to the made body. Heat the whole thing to a nice even heat, turn it upside down on a large flat surface, and use a 3" flatter to smooth the bottom down. Because the rim is supported evenly, the force of the flatter ends up stretching and pushing odd bits where they need to go.

Even a little variation in the heat will mean the cooler area is stronger and stiffer than the hotter areas, and this can cause things to go wonky on you. Or, you can use it to your benefit and cool off areas that you don't want flexing a lot.

Having some kind of form to work into helps keep things aligned and makes it easy to see where metal needs to be moved. The bottom of an gas cylinder works wonders. The steel pucks my dad makes are really workhorses, too. And you can't have too many ball-peen sizes and shapes. The more the better, imo.

That is nice... you should do a video on the process and post it here some time.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les