Blacksmithing and forging - Page 36
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Re: Blacksmithing and forging

Weighed it today... 9 lbs even. When my wife saw it she said, "It's bigger than it looks online..." Well... that's what she said...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Blacksmithing and forging

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Weighed it today... 9 lbs even. When my wife saw it she said, "It's bigger than it looks online..." Well... that's what she said...
    LOL. Better than the other way around.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 04-26-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    :

Just watched another vid from Black Bear Forge. I like the guy and the quality of the videos he's producing. I wish him nothing but the best. But today it just hit me plumb wrong when he was, again, giving off the metric conversions for the bar stock he used. I've seen this in a lot of American smithing videos and it never ceases to piss me off.

In an earlier vid, I remember John talking about how he'd received a lot of comments from foreign viewers wishing he'd give the metric sizing as well as the imperial. A couple international viewers even sent him a tape measure and ruler with both increments on them. To me, this is the height of laziness on the part of the viewers and a sad capitulation by the video maker.

Not to single John out as I see this in just about every video on Youtube and it irks me no end.

How lazy do you have to be to not know your conversions off the top of your head? It's not like we use an infinite range of metal sizes! And if you really need to know the length of bar because you're going to make exactly the same thing shown in the video..... do the frickin' conversion yourself! It takes five seconds! How lazy are you!!?!?!

OMG!

It does not bother me one iota if some British smith only gives metric measurements in his videos. If I plan to try making whatever he's making, and there's not much chance of that, I can write everything down, do the conversions in three seconds, and start cutting metal.

The worst part, imo, is when an American smith gives the thickness/width measurements of the starting stock. You can see it in his hands and know right away that it's going to be 1/2" square bar or 1/4" round bar. You can tell if it's right in between and therefore 3/8". But to then tell folks, ".... or about 12mm!"

Really? If someone says it's 1/2" square, your brain should automatically convert that. It's not like we're dealing in weird sizes that always change. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1"..... that's it - and even some of those are only rarely used in the video projects. You should have those conversions memorized because you hear them so often or use them yourself so regularly. But to suggest that the smith needs to tell you the conversion every single time? Unconscionable!

Okay, that's my blacksmith-related rant for the day. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming......

The customer was really good about giving me blueprints for these brackets. With everything spelled out to the Nth degree, I thought it would be easier to make the legs separately and weld them together.

Spent the whole week trying to come up with some way of repeatably holding things at a 90º angle and cussed the whole time. Then I remembered I had that wonderful little adjustable ninety from Fireball Tool Company!

Half an hour later, everything was welded up and looking good.

I also got to try out my new farrier's rasp that I bought last week. That thing won't be any good for hot rasping because it really hogs off the metal -- but, it sure made quick work out of the weld beads!

Just boxed everything up and put it in the mail. I hope and pray that the customer is happy with the brackets!

Brackets look good.
    Don't you just love customers that specific and detailed?

I have had two customers like that. I know I ended up losing money on the deals when I look at the time I spent. First attempt, second, third, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Nothing like a customer that thinks you’re a mind reader.

I don’t know any personally, but they most likely make way more money than fabricators and smiths.

:

These are the same guys that spec'd the first screw hole being 3/8" from the wall.... but never accounted for material thickness. Things look real easy when you sketch it out on a napkin, but then reality kicks you in the butt!

Still, it's all done and off the roster! That makes me fee wonderful even if I did lose money on the gig. Lessons learned, new pictures for the portfolio, and some welding practice. That's as much a win as I can ask for.

Busy in the field so nothing even remotely blacksmith related happening around here... except that I am creating a new stockpile of potential "tools".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

That's some nice stuff!

Not as thick as the IHC deep tiller shanks I typically break in the fall so there isn't as much material to work with, but still very good steel. These are off a medium duty Wilrich cultivator which are actually very good shanks, but apparently no match for a big stump stuck in the ground on some new breaking. Good news is that the newly constructed wetland is a home for the ducks. Off on another parts run this morning... the 5 o'clock Friday long weekend gremlins have struck again.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Just spent the morning with a local smith as we tried to duplicate Mark Aspery's scrolling fork. If you've been on youtube anytime at all, you know Mark. He's a master of the craft and his videos make it look so incredibly easy.

Between the two of us, we got the forks roughed out. Very rough. His elbow has been acting up so we had to quit before drawing out the handles.... but I wasn't sad to see it all come to an end!

Wow, is that a job of work! Just making the jaw portion was all the two of us could do because it seemed like one thing after another was throwing us off. For the first attempts, I'm okay with how they turned out. With some file work and sanding, they might be good enough to photograph and publish. Maybe. Might be. I'll have to see how things pan out before I commit to publicizing these poor things!

Still, it was a fun time and I'm sore as snot right now. Hopefully the ibuprofen will kick in soon because the cold beers sure are doing the job!

Starting from 1/2"x1" mild steel.....

This is what my buddy ended up with before his elbow started acting up. The end of the handle is still about 5/8" square and there's plenty of meat to draw it out more and put a hanging ring on it.

Name:  60578345_1384289075058249_429717168796467200_n.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  184.1 KB

I've got some ideas on how to do it better, and I'll not be photographing my wrench any time soon. Might go ahead and lop off the fork portion and use that as a handle since mind still has the parent dimensions on the other end.

Half the fun of the whole thing was stepping out of our comfort zone. We watched Aspery's video on it, though we had it down pat..... then screwed pretty much everything up as we bounced around the shop.

It was a good excuse to simply stop doing everything for customer orders and burn time for myself. Things didn't work out as smoothly as I'd have liked, but they still worked out and the next adventure will be better.

Sometimes you just need to spend time on projects for yourself or just to have fun.

If you had a bit of a hard time making the fork with your experience, someone like me doesnt stand a chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

You can do it, PSA!

Honestly, we're still not sure how the thing came out so spindly looking in the jaw area. They are perfectly usable and only need the handles drawn down some, but we were flabbergasted at how thin the tines got... and we just never saw it happening.

I think the ideal is to have the bar look the same throughout the whole piece. So the bottom of the U should be the same dimensions as the handle where it meets the first tine. This isn't strictly necessary from a functional standpoint, but it does make the things look more "right". Maybe we were too aggressive with my new farrier's rasp? Neither one of us saw the issue developing, but we'll certainly be keeping an eye out for it in future forgings.

The hard part, other than watching your dimensions, is plain old drawing out. Next time, I'm thinking 3/8"x1" for the parent bar.

Latest bit to get done.

I still haven't figured out what's going on in the steel to cause this kind of wonderful texturing. It's supposed to be 1018 alloy, the same stuff I've used in sheet and bar, but I've never seen this outside of the hemispherical shape of these dishes. I've had bar stock in the forge at the same time and it never gets these puddles even though I treat it as close to the same as possible.

Started just a little after noon and finished up a little after five.

Total count, 32 railroad spikes drilled, forged, bent and finished.

That little galvanized pail I picked up the other day came in handy as I toted all that iron back into the house for packaging, but carrying 35# on that super-thin bail when your hands are sore as snot and your callouses have blisters..... not fun.

Happy customers, though, and it feels good to have accomplished something after so long away from the anvil.

[QUOTE=VaughnT;8703316]That little galvanized pail I picked up the other day came in handy as I toted all that iron back into the house for packaging, but carrying 35# on that super-thin bail when your hands are sore as snot and your callouses have blisters..... not fun.QUOTE]

Vaughn, make a larger bale handle. I use 3/4" PVC, cut it 4" long, split it lengthwise with a hacksaw. (make a reference mark across the cut so you put the two halves back together as a perfect fit). Glue the halves back together over the small plastic handle, matching the ref marks, or bale if there's no handle left and let sit overnight for the glue to set hard. All my 5 gal. buckets are rehandled that way. Makes for a nice, comfortable grip.

I've done something like that with chop pails... small tubing with one slit, squeeze it over and double wrap it with tape.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Guess who it going to be sporting a Three Rivers Forge t-shirt in his next video????

I've been following Desert Owl Forge for awhile. Simply put, he's doing smithing that we just don't ever see anywhere else on Youtube. I think he's bringing some of his European training to bear and it's very very very refreshing!

Anyhow, aside from the great learning experience, and I fully intend to make me a pair of those tweezers, I struck up a conversation with Tim about getting himself a line of his own shop shirts. I've been very happy with my shirts and am always happy to help support other craftsmen when I can. Long story short, Tim pulled the trigger and now has a small selection of shirts available on Store Frontier Dot Com.

Tim decided that he wanted one of my shirts, so he's got it in hand and will be proudly flying some TRF colors in his next video. How cool is that?

Check out Tim's channel if you want to get your learning on.

Half hour videos aren't feasible with my internet connections (one of joys of living in the secluded areas of the great white north) but congrats!
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

A little something different.....

It's 6-1/2" inside radius because that's what the customer wanted. She asked for a "burnt bronze" finish and I was intrigued. The best I could do was brushed brass and wax.

The upside is that since I had to make a form to hit that 6-1/2" mark, I now have a new circle jig!

Nice work... lookin good as always...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

:

That's Papap's hammer and has been nothing but a boon when I chase in the runes on pendants. The handle might be chewed up a bit, but that's how it came to me and I'll not replace it until the very last minute.

Who would have guessed that there was such a thing as second-rate nails?

I thought I was getting a good deal on the nails I use to make wall hooks, but fully half of them have deformed heads. Oh, they're still perfectly serviceable for construction, but they'll look really bad if I forge them into hooks unless I spend a heat or two trying to get the heads in better shape. So frustrating!