Anti Fog for Welding Helmet
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anti Fog for Welding Helmet

What are some alternatives for reducing the fogging of the lens on the inside of my welding helmet?

I am currently using Rain X un-diluted.

Re: Anti Fog for Welding Helmet

We sell some stuff at the ski hill I work at to keep your ski/snowboard goggles from fogging up. Figure that is probably a better bet than rain-x as it was designed for plastic lenses. Can't remember the brand offhand but it works well.

a snorkel.................
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by rsohc View Post
    What are some alternatives for reducing the fogging of the lens on the inside of my welding helmet?

I am currently using Rain X un-diluted.
    Yeah, isn't that a pain? I tried spit like I use to do with swim gogles. My next idea is to take an old 12v automotive defroster blower, attach a 11/2" hose to it and force fresh air under the helmet. I think that would also keep the welding fumes away to.
    Embrace theTea Party movement. Congress! Restore, Honor, and abide by the Constitution of the United States of America.

I guess this is a problem in extreme cold climates only? I never have my hood lens fog up. I do get fogging on my safety glasses when I try to wear hood, respirator and safety glasses all at same time. The problem is the respirator. I can wear hood and respirator, or hood and safety glasses, without fogging. Wearing all 3 is a sure recipe for fogging.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

get a speedglas mask with adflo

The fan idea would work but might be an improvement if you use a little computer fan and a small battery. Guy at school had this to keep the smoke from under his hood. Glued in a switch too that toggled it off when he flipped up the hood. Pretty slick. Fan was at the top of the helmet,over his head.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider33 View Post
    I guess this is a problem in extreme cold climates only? I never have my hood lens fog up. I do get fogging on my safety glasses when I try to wear hood, respirator and safety glasses all at same time. The problem is the respirator. I can wear hood and respirator, or hood and safety glasses, without fogging. Wearing all 3 is a sure recipe for fogging.
    No not here at this time of year. I guess you must have a differnt style hood. Probably a real good one. I'm just a hobby welder. I have a cheap flip up with the standard glass. I have to hold my breath half the time to keep it from foging.
    Embrace theTea Party movement. Congress! Restore, Honor, and abide by the Constitution of the United States of America.

The advice I like the best is to keep the hood on before/between welds. Even when it is in the 40's (F) in the garage, it seems that the top of my head is warm enough to keep fog at bay when my breath hits the window. YMMV

Stop breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by weregeek View Post
    The advice I like the best is to keep the hood on before/between welds. Even when it is in the 40's (F) in the garage, it seems that the top of my head is warm enough to keep fog at bay when my breath hits the window. YMMV
    40's ?? that's a nice warm spring day here.... go from outside, at -23 (F) to inside at 80 (F) .... talk about fog lol
    Bill Berry
    Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
    machine work, and welding
    Bear River Vollunteer FD

I purchased anitfog spray from Harley Davidson store near here. Don't know how well it works though.

i use the scott brand anti-fog wipe, it kicks azz!

Quote Originally Posted by theonlybull View Post
    40's ?? that's a nice warm spring day here.... go from outside, at -23 (F) to inside at 80 (F) .... talk about fog lol
    You said fog, not frost. at -23 (F) I would think that additional heat would be a huge plus.

[QUOTE=rsohc;427124]What are some alternatives for reducing the fogging of the lens on the inside of my welding helmet?

I'm working on a project car and when I have to assume a contortionist position under the car, it typically takes about 2 seconds before my glasses and the helmet shield fogs up. Something about welding UP, body heat and sweat, I guess. I tried FOUR different anti-fog products that all GUARANTEED to keep glasses and face shields from fogging up. They're ALL crap. They made NO difference whatsoever. They didn't even delay the fogging!
    So I installed two small, 12 volt "muffin fans" onto my TIG helmet. They blow fresh air at my temple area and behind my glasses and the helmet shield. VIOLA! The fogging issue is GONE.
    Now I'm wondering how it is that the fogging issue isn't a common enough problem that the industry hasn't been producing these things for years!
    Name:  TIG Helmet (6).jpg
Views: 2127
Size:  64.4 KB

Use the following Digikey parts or similar:
    Qty. (1) 271-2683-ND AC/DC, 12VDC, 10W Power Adapter
    Qty. (2) 259-1353-ND 40x40x20, 12VDC Sunon Fan
    Qty. (2) 259-1623-ND Fan Guard
    Qty. (1) EG1889-ND Rocker Switch

I had a couple of fans that I’d saved from some old electronic devices that had malfunctioned and been trashed. I like the Sunon “DR MagLev” fans because they are very quiet. Put the helmet on and lower it in place. Mark the helmet indicating the sides of your eyes or where the hinges of your glasses are. At those places, drill 1-3/8” holes (or whatever diameter your fans are) using a Unibit (or similar). Place the fans over the holes and mark the helmet for the fan mounting holes & then drill them for #8 machine screws. Mount the fans with the hardware that suits you. The rocker switch needs to also be mounted on either side of the helmet, near a pivot. Wire the fans, routing either the positive or negative through the switch and leaving a pigtail coming off the helmet near the pivot. You’ll probably want some sort of dismountable connector between the helmet and the power adapter, so you can use the helmet without the adapter when you don’t need it.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbuggy View Post
    We sell some stuff at the ski hill I work at to keep your ski/snowboard goggles from fogging up. Figure that is probably a better bet than rain-x as it was designed for plastic lenses. Can't remember the brand offhand but it works well.
    Cat Crap
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Im completely new to welding and this, is going to sound crazy as hell but try shaving cream. You can test it the next time you take a shower. Take some and rub it o your mirror before you turn on the shower, rub it in till its crystal clear and then take your shower. It works for me but then again I live in Georgia.

I too use Rain-X from the local auto parts store. It works on the clear safety glasses underneath the helmet as well.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member

antifog could be as simple as breathing thru your nose rather than the mouth works for me
    trailblazer 302
    thunderbolt ac dc machine
    Hobart fluxcore
    AHP tig 200x 2015

I set up a small fan right behind me. I use it on a heavy setting when stick welding to keep my head out of the fumes. When TIG or MIG welding, I put it on a lower setting and aim it up away from my work. Make sure its hitting you right in the back of the head..no fogging then.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

The trick is to get the inside of your hood hotter than your head. Even the exhaust pipe of an engine drive welder works too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    The trick is to get the inside of your hood hotter than your head. Even the exhaust pipe of an engine drive welder works too.
    That is a unique idea. But I think my little fans will be more comfortable. :-)

Maybe CEP didn't explain himself. The first attack against fogging should be clean lenses and to preheat your helmet whenever not on your head. Set it in front of a halogen or on top of a trouble light.
    Last edited by OldSparks; 12-14-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theMucker View Post
    That is a unique idea. But I think my little fans will be more comfortable. :-)
    Thanks, OldSparks. For what it's worth, I not only cleaned my glasses and helmet faceshield multiple times, I also tried 4 different anti-fog products. Preheating the helmet sounds like a good solution at times, but how practical is it? On the day I was struggling with fogging glasses and shield, I was under the job, welding on my back and using my knee to operate the pedal. It seems that while straining in an uncomfortable position, the helmet was catching body heat & moisture as it rose from my head. Now I just grab the helmet with the fans, plug in the 12v power supply and go for it.

My wife thinks I should have patented the design and made money on it. I just wanted to pass on the idea, so other welders who've experienced the frustration of a fogging faceshield, might benefit from the simple fix. And all industry would have had to do is to change a few things to get around the patent. Truth to tell, I'd like to see Lincoln or Miller run with the idea and maybe do a better job of it. Like integrating the fans into the helmet's molded shape and maybe powering them with the same solar panel that powers the auto-darkening shield.