Question: what is the obsession with the Lincoln SA-200 welder? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Question: what is the obsession with the Lincoln SA-200 welder?

no matter where i am in relation to my 200, i hear the fan more than anything. . . . . .except that "BLAAARRPP" it makes when throttling up. love that noise!

also love the simplicity of it. at first, the two dials were a bit intimidating. . . . .so many combinations of settings and arc characteristics! then i learned that once you get dialed in on the fine current, the range selector is basically a rod-size selector.

if 3rd and 60 feels good with 1/8" lohy, 4th and 60 feels good with 5/32" lohy! its that easy! roughly drop a gear for 5p in similar sizes.

also like the fact that i can pressure wash the thing, with a door off, and start it right up (not recomended but possible) to let it dry itself off. try that with an ac machine!
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

I would like to pressure wash mine but afraid to. Don't know what would get wet that shouldn't.

I've got 7 of these machines but only 1 works for right now and the solenoid in the upgraded idler isn't working, high gear all the time

Got 3 at the shop, 5 more on the way, sold 2 this summer, my dsd has 2, my uncle 2 and my other uncle has 4.
    Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will remain.

Both of my Poppy's 1954 Short Hoods -Third generation to weld with it and teaching a fourth
    SA 2## - Bought and sold more than I can remember or care to list, 8 in the shop right now

To all viewers of this thread......

Run a bead with a sa200, and your eyes will be opened to all the hype around them.
    Name:  IMG_0999.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  63.7 KB
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

no need to convince me ak. i'm keeping my eye's open for one myself.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by AKweldshop View Post
    To all viewers of this thread......

Run a bead with a sa200, and your eyes will be opened to all the hype around them.
    ]
    I have quite a few inverters, I really like them(screw transformers). But I bought a 1960 SA 200 and this is absolutely true. Its amazing, with a 6010 more metal seems to end up in the joint, instead of blowing holes in a big gap, it seems to spray metal in. With 7018, well its just magic. Its like when you set it right, its hot on the rod, but fast freezing on the base, just really nice puddle control.

In addition to great welding, they are relatively cheap and simple to modern welders. Anybody can into one and fix it up for about 5k have a super nice machine, a new Lincoln will double or more.
    Last edited by Davidbrown; 11-30-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Constant Current Weldor.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkness View Post
    I read a lot of posts about them. Is it that great?,I believe it is a commutator type DC generator. I'm not knocking them, I don't understand how generated DC compares to rectified DC as far as welding is concerned. I know what both look like on a scope.
    In a few words, YES. They are that great. I learned how to weld mostly with a 1976 SA200. I say mostly, because we did also have a AC225 Crackerbox in the shop, and I did burn a fair share of rods with it. The main thing I learned with it, is I HATE 6011. I don't know if it's because I learned with DC 6010 and 7010 rods, or what. But I just don't like 6011...

Anyway, I was around welding all of my childhood, mainly pipeline welding. Plus whatever welding it took to keep the trucks and equipment running. So I was mainly around SA200 machines, with a couple of SA250's. I first started learning how to weld myself in about 1984, when I was about 12. Welded with that SA200 for years, then for reasons I don't even know (other than I got a good deal on it...lol) in 1996 when I rigged up a new truck, I ran across a deal on another SA200. I didn't know much about the different models really, and was told this was a copper wound machine. In actuallity, it's a blackface just like my '76. I think it's a little older, but really havn't researched it much. It welded good, had a little different arc than my '76, but nothing you couldn't get used to after a few hours. Seemed to run a little hotter actually. Somebody might have rolled the rack on it some, I havn't really investigated it much yet. I do remember the RPM's being a bit high on it when I got it.

Back in the 80's and early 90's, when we were doing pipeline full time, we always had at least one truck rigged up as a plastic fusion rig for Poly pipe. For a long time, we used a 7,000 Watt Onan generator to run the machine and heating irons. Sometime around 1990, the Onan went kaput, so for quite a bit less than another Onan, dad bought a new Miller Bobcat 225 welder. It worked great for running the plastic fusion tools. We also ran multiple 4,000 Watt Honda generators to run the smaller tools on other trucks. After I got fed up with trying to keep employees that could pass drug tests, and trying to compete with plumbers that the gas company started letting bid on jobs, I sold the 1 ton that had the Bobcat with the welder to a friend. Part of the deal, was if I needed the welder to run my big plastic machine I could use it. A couple of years later, we got another Bobcat, and would just load it in the back of one of the pickups if we needed it. About 2002, we sold that Bobcat, and bought a little newer one. Started needing it on a more frequent basis, so we pulled my SA200 off my rig and mounted the Bobcat on it. I had welded a little with the Bobcat, but not enough to really see how much I liked (or disliked) it.

I wasn't doing any real pipe welding during this time, so I was able to make due with the Bobcat. My experience with it is, with 6010 or 7010, the arc isn't real stable. It gets worse trying to weld pipe downhill. It doesn't like 5/32" rod very much. Especially downhill. I could make welds up to about 4" look pretty decent usually, as long as I used 1/8" 6010. As far as 7018, it would run it pretty slick. Would run 5/32 nice if it was flat. Uphill, 1/8th was about as big as it would keep up with. I also used a couple of friends Lincoln Ranger 8's during this time period. I thought they were a little bit more stable and consistant than the Miller, but they still didn't have it. These machines are great for somebody that wants mainly generator power, and maybe build a little pipe fence, or weld this or that on some equipment or something.

This last summer, we started getting back into some pipeline. Hoping to turn it into full time again. I decided it was time to get one of my SA200's going again, and rig up my new truck. We had put them in my quonset hut to store them. The local thieves had gotten in, stole the carburators off both machines, and the idle solenoid off of one. I bought a carburator, put new points in the mag, new plugs, and got my '76 running. I had to get a new idle board for it, but then the idler worked also. Changed all hoses and the belt, changed oil, put a K&N type filter on it (they stole the oil bath air filters also), and put it in my truck. I've welded more pipe with it since August than I probably have in the last 5 years combined. I've now built a remote box for it also.

It really didn't take long to get used to the SA200 again, even though it had been about 12 years since I had welded with one. I don't have to "fight" to get a good weld like I did with the Bobcat. If the fitup is tight, just jam the rod in and let the Lincoln dig. If the fitup is wide, just whip a bead in it. With the Bobcat, if you tried to jam the rod in it would stick. If you tried to whip too much you'd lose your arc... It's made welding pipe fun again, instead of something you dread having to do. There were actually times with the Miller, where I had thought I had forgotten how to weld pipe. I know there are people that make x-ray welds with the other machines, and I gotta say, my hat is off to them. I can do it with my SA200, I'm not that confident with a Bobcat...

I will say, I have discovered there is something wrong with our Bobcat. I was welding some magnetized pipe, and tried switching it to AC. There is nothing on that setting. No spark or anything. So that tells me, something is wrong. I don't know how that would relate to the DC arc output, but it's not advanced enough for me to think there is no relation. As far as AC generator power, it works fine. Another odd thing, is it may run five 1/8th 6010's in a row just fine, nice stack of dimes. Then the next rod or 10 is like you're trying to run a coat hanger or something. Spit, sputter, stick... You name it. Just turns to $hit. Then next rod is fine. Makes no sense...

Well, there is my book on "yeah I think the SA200 is that great of welder...lol"
    -------------------------
    Chemetron AC/DC 300 HF
    Snap-On MM300L
    Lincoln SP140
    Lincoln AC/DC 225g
    Lincoln SA200
    Lincoln SA200
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Victor torches
    H&M and Mathey beveling machines
    McElroy Plastic pipe fusion

I read a lot of posts about them. Is it that great?,I believe it is a commutator type DC generator. I'm not knocking them, I don't understand how generated DC compares to rectified DC as far as welding is concerned. I know what both look like on a scope.
    Where'r you at sparkness? (I can't see locations on tapatalk).
    If you wanted to use mine (PDX right now), you're more than welcome to.

And hellova story Randy, that's pretty cool.
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

Love mine, a late 60's red face. The smoothness surprised me.

I didn't notice that I could feel the choppiness of a cheap rectified arc until I used the SA-200.

Sadly though, mine will have to be sold soon.
    As a part-timer, I don't have enough outdoor work to justify keeping it - I weld almost everything indoors.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

I didn't notice that I could feel the choppiness of a cheap rectified arc until I used the SA-200.

As a part-timer, I don't have enough outdoor work to justify keeping it - I weld almost everything indoors.
    Remember I'm a good cause to donate it to......
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Remember I'm a good cause to donate it to......
    Haha! I bet there would be a line clear around the snowman for this "donation"
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Haha! I bet there would be a line clear around the snowman for this "donation"
    I have the lead......

Hope you can justify keeping it. I'm going to pursue one around here tucked away a few years pretty shortly.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Weld with one and you will know. Honestly you must experience it to know what it means. It just welds better and that is it. The arc is easy to start and it lays 7018 in a way that a first timer could pass x-ray. Generator welders have inertia, too. So you can kick them in the *** and they can momentarily provide a tremendous amount of current to get them through that moment, stuck rods are nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by dubl_t View Post
    Where'r you at sparkness? (I can't see locations on tapatalk).
    If you wanted to use mine (PDX right now), you're more than welcome to.

And hellova story Randy, that's pretty cool.
    I can do a lot of different things... Operate just about any kind of equipment there is, Drive trucks, haul oversize, weld, fabricate, bid, manage... etc. I've done other kinds of heavy construction, two years ago we spent 9 months re-building a dam on a lake. Last year this time, we were doing a coal mine reclaimation job... BUT pipelining is in my blood. My dad started pipelining when he graduated high school in 1946. (He finished 12th grade, but didn't actually graduate because he missed a lot of his senior year after a motorcycle accident). He pipelined from then until 1992 when he passed away from cancer. With a two year leave from pipeline to serve This Great Country in Korea. He finally started his own company in 1972, two months after I was born. So I really literally did grow up on the pipeline. If I wasn't in school, I was on the job somewhere. It was a hell of a way to grow up, and I wouldn't trade it or the memories for anything. I made my first $100 when I was 10, running a trackhoe setting casing in on a road bore. I actually went on the company payroll when I was 12. It wasn't always easy... Dad expected me to be the best. Learning young helped, but you feel a lot of pressure when you're 14 years old, and expected to dig more ditch, straighter than anyone else on the job... Or be faster and more precise setting pipe in with a live boom for the welders... Maybe that's why to this day it seems like I perform better under pressure. And I like jobs that are a challenge.
    Chemetron AC/DC 300 HF
    Snap-On MM300L
    Lincoln SP140
    Lincoln AC/DC 225g
    Lincoln SA200
    Lincoln SA200
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by 76GMC1500 View Post

Weld with one and you will know. Honestly you must experience it to know what it means.

It lays 7018 in a way that a first timer could pass x-ray.
    I agree with you on the first line, but the second one is far fetched.
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Just do like I do... If I'm welding inside the shop, I just back the rig up to the door and stretch the leads inside. It's really easy since I have the remote now. If I MIG/FLUXCORE or TIG I use those machines that are inside the shop. But for stick I always use my engine drive. I probably wouldn't if I had a nice shop stick machine, but in my case it's not justifiable to purchase such a machine. I could make up some leads for my TIG machine, it's a 300 amp machine, but I don't know much about those type machines, and honestly am afraid of messing it up.
    Chemetron AC/DC 300 HF
    Snap-On MM300L
    Lincoln SP140
    Lincoln AC/DC 225g
    Lincoln SA200
    Lincoln SA200
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Victor torches

I have an IdealArc 250 in my shop to weld with, which by the way is not a bad welder. I still like to fire the SA200 up to make sure the battery stays charged, the carb doesn't get gummy but the main reason is to listen to her work. Hearing a SA200 in a load being controlled by the governor is music to my ears. I am sure I'm not the only crazy person that dies it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Your not love to hear them work hate to hear them ideal.

I also love the fact that even on high idle, they don't sound like a pi$$ed off lawnmower that's about to come apart...
    Chemetron AC/DC 300 HF
    Snap-On MM300L
    Lincoln SP140
    Lincoln AC/DC 225g
    Lincoln SA200
    Lincoln SA200
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by handtpipeline View Post
    I also love the fact that even on high idle, they don't sound like a pi$$ed off lawnmower that's about to come apart...
    Couple years ago I was at the local welder repair facility. Mechanic was outside working on a small Miller diesel welder. That dam thing was just screaming! I didn't know diesel welders could rev that high of RPMs!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Couple years ago I was at the local welder repair facility. Mechanic was outside working on a small Miller diesel welder. That dam thing was just screaming! I didn't know diesel welders could rev that high of RPMs!
    Probably not for long... If you've ever been around a old Detroit with a stuck rack, You'll never forget the sound. You don't know if you want to try to kill it somehow, or vacate before it scatters...
    Chemetron AC/DC 300 HF
    Snap-On MM300L
    Lincoln SP140
    Lincoln AC/DC 225g
    Lincoln SA200
    Lincoln SA200
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Victor torches

2stroke Detroit? Stuck rack? Exciting stuff. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    2stroke Detroit? Stuck rack? Exciting stuff. Ask me how I know.
    Blown turbo seal ?

No, the worst I've seen was an old 6-110 engine that had sat for about 10 years, the owner called me out to check it over before they attempted to start it. His guys had installed batteries and primed the fuel system, then decided they would start it themselves. The injector control racks were stuck in the full fuel position. I drove up just as it started and ran away on them, Huge cloud of black smoke and the most ungodly howl you have ever heard, thing was rapidly picking up speed and they just scattered. Luckily I managed to trip the emergency shutdown before the rods came out of the block, I think it may have been hitting close to 4000 rpm. Kind of scary for a 2100 rpm rated engine.