"Dhem's Random Projects"
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

"Dhem's Random Projects"

I've been a lurker here on this awesome site for a bit over a year now without posting anything. Last summer I was lucky enough to get a Lincoln PT-225 welder as a birthday gift. Of course I've been welding as much as possible ever since then every chance I get and I've done a lot of free stuff for friends just to get more experience. This site has been an excellent source of information for a beginner like me. I love seeing build threads and just custom work in general so I thought it's time to give back a bit and post up some of my stuff.

First up is two tools I made that are used quite often. This one isn't welded but comes in very useful time after time. It's a 3/8" Jacobs chuck that I drilled and tapped to 1/2"-20 so it would thread onto a handle I've repurposed. I use if for delicate hand drilling thin stuff, drilling out AL rivets, holding chamfer bits, holding small files, holding small short parts to grind bevels on them, etc:

This is a cheap pair of linesman pliers that I welded the jaws flat and hand filed parallel. I use these to fix bent flanges, straighten things, etc:

Next up is a low rider base for my old Craftsman table saw I got off Craigslist. I need to take some more pics of this one. These days it's fully welded together but I still need to drill the holes to mount the cabinet and then paint it.

I've fixed and modified a couple of chairs. I gave my old next door neighbor a chair that a friend left when he moved out. Since the chair is a rocking recliner it had two broken connecting tubes that were way undersized for the bending stresses placed on them. They both cracked right at the small holes that were stamped in them:

So I fitted and welded in some 3/4" by 1/16" wall mild steel tubing to replace them which made the chair incomparably more solid:

Here's my shop office chair that I modified so that it wouldn't spin around every time I got up off it. Of course I still wanted it to have adjustable height nonetheless so this is what I did:

I have much more that I'll be adding here over time. Enjoy.
    Last edited by zapster; 12-02-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller MP-10 & Jackson Nexgen EQC
    Jet 414457 Mitering Bandsaw
    20 Ton Press & Swag HD Press Brake

Re: Random Projects

Round two. I'm a firm believer in tool-free adjustability on my machine tools. Not only does it significantly speed up production, it just makes working with them more pleasant. So I've build quite a few custom T-bolts from 304SS and mild steel:

I have quite a few of these so I'll do a group shot of them all when I'm at the shop tomorrow.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Looks like your practice has paid off well. Nice looking and functional looking projects you have done too.
    I may borrow a couple of those ideas off you
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Millermatic 130 XP
    Lincoln HD 100
    Forney C-5bt Arc welder
    Plasma Cutter Gianteach Cut40A
    Cent Machinery Bandsaw
    Cent Machinery 16Speed Drill Press
    Chicago Electric 130amp tig/90 Arc
    Hobart 190 Mig spoolgun ready

Nice job coping the angle. I think I'll steal that pict to save for the next time someone here asks a question about how to fit angle iron. Nice work all around. You definately have an eye for details rather than just slapping stuff together like some do.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

dhem / DSW - The angle corner joint is called a block & chip. It is the
    painless method to maintain a 90 degree corner when welding. A mitered
    corner always pulls and requires compensation either before or after the weld.
    A block & chip corner can be welded with virtually no deformation if you pay
    attention to your weld order and direction. OPUS

Thanks for the kind words guys, constant practice helps a lot. DSW feel free to use that pic however you want.

I finally got around to taking some more pics of my stuff. First up, I don't have a proper steel fab table yet so I just use an aluminum plate to weld on at my wood table. It's 15" x 15" x 1/2" drilled and tapped for legs that are 5" 1/2"-13 bolts. This gives some clearance underneath for clamps. Kinda ghetto but only cost me $40 to put together and I use if for almost everything I weld:

Next up are some simple tent stakes I made for a neighbor to hold his homemade yurt up at Burning Man. I made four of them and they are just 3ft of 1/2" rebar and some 5/16" cold roll to triangulate. I bent the hooks with my 20 ton press:

I got tired of digging through a box full of C-clamps to get the one I needed, which was always at the bottom of course. So I threw together a quick and dirty clamp tree out of scrap wood to organize the ones I use often. I have about three times as many on there these days:

Next up is a camera mount a friend from school requested. He does time lapse projects and wanted something to mount three T2i cameras on one tripod for panoramic action. I made this from some 1/4" scrap I had and the rod is 5/16" cold roll. I also made three threaded arms to lock the cameras in. I need to get some pics of those still:
    Last edited by dhem; 01-06-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX

My bench grinder is currently mounted to the base of my drill press since it's the only really solid place I have right now. Needless to say it sucks having to bend down every time I need to grind something so I'm finally doing something about it. Over Christmas break I got a great start on my new grinder stand. A while back I got 9ft of 6-5/8" 1/4" wall steel pipe for $10 and I recently got some 3" 1/4" wall steel pipe for free. For the top plate I bought a 12" x 12" x 1/2" steel plate at ALCO and for the bottom I'm going to use one of these. To mount feet on the ends of the tripod legs I cut 3" wide slices from some 4" x 3" angle steel I traded some work for. For feet I'm going to use HD rubber bump stops from a truck. All three tripod legs and the center column will be tightly packed with fine sand to add mass and dampen vibrations from the grinder:

Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Great stuff.

Some really nice stuff dhem ! Your attention to detail is to be admired. The C-clamp stand is a great design and the grinder stand looks pretty stout too.

Craig

You have some clever ideas here and ya do nice work. thanks!

(Retired) Professional firefighter, amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: Go Big Red! (You know: one of the 12 members of the Big 10 cuz we left the 10 members of the Big 12...)

I really like the small welds, they look very much nicer than the bigger welds.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

In the quest to diversify my skills I've been playing around with brazing lately. I like that it doesn't require as much heat compared to welding the same joint. Plus it can add a nice look to projects. Here is my second attempt, the steel tube is 3/4" OD to give scale:

I wanted to try it out on some thicker stock so I did the same thing with some scrap I had laying around. This is 1/4" steel plate and 3" x 1/4" steel pipe:

I made these two pieces about a month ago and have since incorporated brazing a in few projects. I'm using silicon bronze filler rod and AC, balance at around 30% cleaning. It flows/wicks kinda weird and I'm working on getting more consistent stack-o-dimes.

I've also been playing around with welding copper in preparation for an upcoming project. I had some scrap 1" pipe laying around so I wanted to give it a try. Didn't have any copper filler rod so I used 18ga romex:

It's pretty impressive how much heat it takes to start the melt pool in copper. Also impressive how quick the entire thing got HOT, I burned myself a few times while rotating this to weld around the joints.
    Last edited by dhem; 01-31-2011 at 02:50 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Not sure if there are many car guys here on this forum but I have a '67 Volvo Amazon wagon that I've been modernizing over the past year. As part of the brake system upgrade I decided to go with a dual master cylinder and balance bar setup. The balance bar slides in a 1" ID tube so I couldn't modify the small stock brake arm to fit that. Plus due to the space required by the balance bar itself, the whole brake arm needed to be moved sideways toward the clutch arm a bit. Unfortunately the steering tube goes right beside the stock brake arm so I had to design a custom, offset brake arm:

It's almost done but I still have to do the filler pass on the tapered I-beam and add the pedal plate. I stopped working on it once I realized the 5 speed I want to use will likely require the transmission tunnel to be widened, which of course will change the positioning of all the pedals. For anyone who's interested in the full story from the beginning: Amazon project thread.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX

wow! nice stuff. You got a little time into that brake pedal

nice work.
    Pound to fit, paint to match

I finally got around to building a little screw jack stand to help with cutting long stock on my horizontal bandsaw. Up until now I've been using my floor jack with a block of wood on it but it's really hard to get things leveled just right. So I whipped this up from scrap I had laying around:

Here it is, still warm from initial welding, coming in handy already. Having to cut this C-channel is what finally prompted me to build it:

To give it a touch of personality I brazed over top of the welds. After it cooled I sprayed a clear coat on it:

Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Looks like you're having a lot of fun in the shop.
    I rehab stuff, make stuff faster, and make stuff that never was.
    '99 VW Jetta TDI
    '73 Sears ST/12, '66 Sears Custom 6, Bar Stool Gokart

Quote Originally Posted by dhem View Post
    My bench grinder is currently mounted to the base of my drill press since it's the only really solid place I have right now. Needless to say it sucks having to bend down every time I need to grind something so I'm finally doing something about it. Over Christmas break I got a great start on my new grinder stand. A while back I got 9ft of 6-5/8" 1/4" wall steel pipe for $10 and I recently got some 3" 1/4" wall steel pipe for free. For the top plate I bought a 12" x 12" x 1/2" steel plate at ALCO and for the bottom I'm going to use one of these. To mount feet on the ends of the tripod legs I cut 3" wide slices from some 4" x 3" angle steel I traded some work for. For feet I'm going to use HD rubber bump stops from a truck. All three tripod legs and the center column will be tightly packed with fine sand to add mass and dampen vibrations from the grinder:

very nice stand!

And nice Kawi 250(saw it in the background)

I enjoyed looking at your projects.... nice work and designs.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. It feels like I'm always repairing crappy stuff so when it comes time to design something for myself from scratch I go all out on it. Plus doing metal fabrication is a great stress relief from classes so I don't mind if it takes a bit longer to do a more elaborate design. If I'm not at school or at home I'm in the shop building random stuff. It's an excellent way to get better at fabrication.

The bike is indeed a KX250, '99 model. She's definitely a blast to pilot but I don't ride much these days due to how far I have to drive to get to the trails. I actually have her up for sale to help fund a milling machine.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Great stuff!!! Thanks for sharing.

Great projects! Nice work you do!!

I like the screw jack stand. I need to build me one, one day...
    Adam M
    Morales Ranch

I haven't been to the shop in a while due to school. Yesterday I did a little project that I've been meaning to do literally for years. The crappy plastic door handles in my '92 Silverado broke off in around '05 and ever since I've just been grabbing the metal flange to close the door. So I made two simple pull handles from 1/2" 304SS rod and 1/4-20 hex bolts:

Eventually I want to completely remove the entire plastic and carpet door insert and replace it with a simple tweed or canvas one. Also I want to redo the gauge cluster and dash board with a more simple one, like how classic muscle cars have.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed this thread a lot
    HH187
    Hobart 500i plasma cutter
    Clark 4.5" Grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw
    30 gallom 1.6 hp compressor
    10 gallon pressure pot sand blaster
    lots of hand tools

Great work! I really like the brazing over the welds. I may have to give this a try on some projects I have on my list for this summer.