Never hurts to ask.... - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Never hurts to ask....

I just had another idea. Maybe a variator setup would be simpler/cheaper/easier. I know my john deere 214 has one and IIRC, you could manually choose your "gear" or put the pedal down and it would adjust itself to the load. This would be well suited to the drive setup in this skid loader.
    My name's not Jim....

Looking good. If I had this and planned to use it to clear snow, I'd look at fabing up some removable plexi sides, back and a door with a cheap wiper. I've run enough skidsteers, tractors and open cab backhoes in the snow/rain/sleet. You might not have heat, but you can at least stay semi-dry while running it. Remove them in the summer so you get the ventilation and don't roast.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

For the amount of light and power draw these have the price is CHEEP. for what they are.
    http://www.visionxonly.com/m7/XIL-UF...d-bracket.html
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Cheap for what they are, but too rich for my blood. Maybe I can post why in a few days.....don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Cheap for what they are, but too rich for my blood. Maybe I can post why in a few days.....don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.
    I found a lower wattage bulb for now. I have only used the light a few times and the battery is staying charged. No more worrying for the time being.
    My name's not Jim....

I'm finding these things all over now. Picked up another one for a friend today. It cost a little more than mine, but it does run and will be ready for work tomorrow after I do some general maintenance and tune up work. Now that I have a stocker to compare to, I'm thinking my clone engine is a little lacking in the torque department. This one came with a manual too so I've spent the last few hours scanning and converting it to PDF for myself. Not much new to mention with mine other than the forks I posted in another thread, some wheel spacers I'm working on, and a dozer blade half started. Just working down my list.....

Here's a few pics of the new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    My name's not Jim....

dude those mini skids are priceless! I love being able to drive through most gates with them. MOney maker for sure.
    Weldanpower 225 G7
    Ironworkers Local #24

Consider either drilling the exhaust nuts for safety wire, or using sheet metal lock tabs.

Pic is tiny but this is a simple design you could also make out of some straight strip. Image search "nut lock tabs" for many designs.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Consider either drilling the exhaust nuts for safety wire, or using sheet metal lock tabs.

Pic is tiny but this is a simple design you could also make out of some straight strip. Image search "nut lock tabs" for many designs.
    The studs I installed have been holding good for several hours of use now.
    My name's not Jim....

New problem. The pump failed today in the M371 I picked up for my friend. The housing is 3 pieces and the center one cracked. We may have missed it when looking the unit over. I noticed it was wet and dirty, but did not see the leak. Put a new belt on it today and 30 seconds later the pump failed. It looks like it has been apart before. The end pieces are painted the factory white and the middle is bare metal. If I had to make a guess, I'd say the previous owner used the center out of another pump to repair this one.

So now my question. Is there anywhere besides a bobcat dealer to look up the pump? Do I just need to pull it and look for numbers? It is speced at 5 gpm. If cost and housing size is the same, is there any reason not to go bigger so we can run more accessories?
    My name's not Jim....

Fixed my friends bucket in exchange for materials for my dozer, I mean super heavy duty, multipurpose, almost unbreakable, snow plow.
    Bucket got a new bottom and cutting edge.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    The studs I installed have been holding good for several hours of use now.
    I should have kept my mouth shut. Broke another stud today. 8mm heat treated.

This time I really think I've got it fixed. Drilled and tapped for 3/8"-16 allen bolts and added a brace at the far end of the muffler. Doesn't shake at all now.
    My name's not Jim....

I have some hard dirt to dig up and figured I'd try an experiment. This is the old bucket I was going to scrap. I cut some teeth on it.
    My name's not Jim....

Ran into a little engine trouble that had me stumped for awhile. I acted like it was out of gas even though I had just filled it up. I thought maybe I had some condensation issues from running it the other day. Then I thought I had a clogged fuel filter. After that I thought maybe the pump was worn out because of the ethanol (I've heard of it eating pump diaphrams). Turns out that it was a fuel pump problem. I took it apart to rebuilt it and found a bunch of oil. The pulse line had filled the pump up to the point where the diaphram couldn't move. I cleaned up the oil with a rag and put it back together. Just like new again.
    A pic of the fuel pump/pulse setup can be found in post #50 of this thread for those that are curious. Considering the number of hours I have run this thing before having trouble, I'm still trying to decide if this warrants a redesign or just some scheduled maintenance (cleaning) in the future.
    I don't know if I have posted this here or not, but I found out that my charging system is only putting out .75 amps when it should be 3 amps. Still deciding on the cure for that as well.
    My name's not Jim....

This was a great read. You did a great restoration on that skid steer, nice job.

I've got a ebay clone engine, mine is a 10 hp diesel. It's a copy of a Yanmar L100V.
    It have a 3 amp charger as well. I had mine installed on an old Bolens tractor. It's now in my shop with a marine transmission attached waiting for a boat to be built.

I never had any trouble running two headlights and putting a little charge on the battery. I never actually tested that output though. Do you notice any difference at different RPMs?

I researched a bit when I bought my engine because the 3A sounded small. The Yanmars usually have a 15A charger on them. I'm not sure, but I thought I could change the regulator and get different output. It might be regulator/stator combo though.

Here's a pic of my engine (fuel tank and muffler are removed..) It's probably torque-y enough to run your skid steer.

I would guess that yours has a 15 amp charging system because of the regulator/rectifier next to your oil fill in the pic.
    Mine doesn't even have that. It's just a stator with a diode. No real charging till it hits full rpm. I am going to have to upgrade mine somehow, just haven't picked a direction yet.
    My name's not Jim....

Maybe you're right. I could have sworn it's 3A. I can't find anything stating that at the moment. The manual is pretty lame, but I'll check it. I'd have to put the muffler and fuel tank back on to start it up.

Just looking on ebay, I found the charging coil for my engine for $30. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yanmar-L100-...#ht_500wt_1054

The regulator is $20. I searched on yanmar L100 which is what was cloned. Of course, neither show any amperage rating. Maybe a search on yours would yield the same. Good luck.

Thats a good looking little bobcat, you did a nice job fixing it up. Those little ones are good for in town jobs. Its a bit small for me. I would die of old age before I got everything taken care of around my 30 acres with it.

Kolot showed interest in the little bobcat quick attach so here is a few pics. I believe it's 22 1/2" wide and about 16 1/2" tall.
    My name's not Jim....

What a great read. I would love to find one close to me to restore.
    Lincoln Powermig 255
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Thermal Arc 161S
    Oxweld 24R OA Torch
    Still Looking for an Old Round Top Idealarc 250

I think I changed too much to call it a restoration. I think "rebuilt" would be better suited.
    My name's not Jim....

Ok, I've had enough of this 3 amp charging system bull****. I don't want to be pull starting it in the dark when it's -10F out.
    Here's what I got to work with. The simple solution is one more stator which should bump it to 10 amps if my google fu is working correctly. I want more. Any ideas or tips on a home made stator for higher output? I took the necessary measurements for mounting and clearance. I'm ready to machine a core and wind it myself if need be. Just need to do some research and edumacate myself first.
    My name's not Jim....

The rectifier, is it (as previously said) a single diode (one wire in, one wire out, coil often grounded through engine block), giving you half wave rectified current, or a full wave rectifying bridge with 2 wires from the coil, and 2 out?
    If you have the simple diode and the generator coil is made (or can be modified) without having one end grounded in the block, a full wave rectifier would almost double the output.

Other simple solution? Put a small car or motorcycle alternator on it. Should give you hundreds of watts quite simple and cheap.

I payed a grand for this. It was rusty and the tracks needed work. I would up replacing the engine with a Honda Clone and rebuilding the gear box. It will pull that Bobcat backwards and once I figure out what I want on front I can get that welded up. Right now I use it for plowing snow and to drag elk out of the sticks.

Yes you could run another stator or do like I am going to do. Right now I have three sheves on my crank but I have room for two more so once I decide on hydraulic FEL or just a four angle blade I will use one sheve for the hydraulic puml and another for a 30 amp import alternator. I also have a 1946 Gibson with an electric winch type FEL and 30 amps is plenty to run the loader and lights for night use.