100 amp inverter welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

100 amp inverter welder

I got a Forney AT-100 and as there is no place for Forney I am putting it in with HF as it is so similar in size to the HF 80 amper. I am amazed at what you can do with these little machines. It cost a little less than the HF 80 shipped. I did a review on it with some pictures here. can someone take a picture of the insides of there HF 80 amp inverter welder so we can compare them. Dan

http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/o...ney-100-a.html
    Last edited by danbob5; 12-11-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Re: 100 amp inverter welder

Quote Originally Posted by danbob5 View Post
    as there is no place for Forney I am putting it in with HF as it is so similar in size to the HF 80 amper.
    Yeah I gues that "Other Manufacturers" section is for things like Tupperware....

And why in the world would you do a review of that machine there? Looks like another 1st timer post that smells...

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Hey lighten up.

He wants a comparison of his Forney to the similar HF. I for one would like to see such a comparison. It sounds like the Forney might be the better of the two cheap welders.

Let's not discourage replies. We may learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Hey lighten up.

He wants a comparison of his Forney to the similar HF. I for one would like to see such a comparison. It sounds like the Forney might be the better of the two cheap welders.

Let's not discourage replies. We may learn something.
    Doesn't look like he wants anything to me.

I'm with DSW....
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by danbob5 View Post
    can someone take a picture of the insides of there HF 80 amp inverter welder so we can compare them. Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Doesn't look like he wants anything to me.
    Read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Read it again.
    I see that now. Since when can we edit things more than 30 min after posting? Still smells fishy to me.
    My name's not Jim....

Nice review danbob5. Im sure that those interested in the Forney appreciate it.
    A few of my toys !
    LinuxMint
    Manjaro

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Chicago Electric 80amp Inverter
    Victor O/A

danbob's review was the first time I was aware of this little unit.

It looks like the Forney is the better buy compared to HF.

35% duty cycle at 85 amps vs 75 amps, internal fan, and only a couple of lbs heavier than HF. Given the weight difference, apparently it is more than a relabeled version of HF with a fan added.

The user reviews I read on Amazon etc were enthusiastic. There's also an old thread on here.

Forney's website says their premium version of this will tolerate running from a generator. I think that would be the preferable choice.

This is the HF forum but I don't see a problem with using it to discuss comparisons against similar competing gear. Example: I looked at HF's little table saw then bought the identical saw (both the same generic Chinese design) at Home Depot because HD's included the stand for the same price. Where else would we compare HF welding gear against competing brands? The 'big boy' brand forums sure don't want those discussions in there.

Just as a note California, the HF unit does have a fan in it. The product manual lists the duty cycles as follows: 35% at80amps, 60% at 65amps, and 100% at 50amps. This does contradict what they have posted on the website as 35% at 75amps. You can download the manual off their website. I have one of these just to play around with. I bought mine about 4 years ago. It was on sale on the web site for $119.99. Printed out the sale, took it to my local HF store and they honored the price, plus I threw a 15% discount coupon on top of that which at the time they allowed (and now they dont). Grand total at the time: $101.99 out the door. It just happened to be my lucky day! All in all, it is what it is, an economical, limited, light duty inverter welder, but fun to play with.
    A few of my toys !
    LinuxMint
    Manjaro

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Victor O/A

Thanks smawgmaw. That does make them a closer comparison.

Yeah, it does put them a little closer in comparison according to specs. But in all honesty, I believe the Forney is a little ahead in its overall higher total output of 100amps. If you check out the threads in Other Manufacturers, there should be a few threads made by some members who have bought the Forney and reported/reviewed them. If you are trying to decide between the two, the threads may help making your decision a little easier.
    A few of my toys !
    LinuxMint
    Manjaro

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Victor O/A

The Forney's 20 Amps more are a bonus when needed...I got one AT 100 at Ebay for 120 bucks, after reading all the positive reviews on Amazon. And at 120 dollars there was not great risk...
    I have been pleasantly surprised by this machine; it's very smooth and easy to use. I have used 6013, 6010 3/32 steel rods and 1/16 and 3/32 309L, 316L16 SS rods with very good results on steel and SS until 1/8 thick.
    I must confess that for light work I use now the Forney instead of my MIG. Cheaper to use and simpler with similar results. I 'll get a 160 Amp inverter and keep the 100 Amp for small reparations where 115V is only available.
    Some call that a toy, but that can do far better within its limitations. Works also pretty well on scratch TIG with a 9V torch for thin stainless steel. The arc is good and steady.