Small project: steel brackets
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Small project: steel brackets

A neighbor was kind enough to give me a steel bed frame to practice welding on. I used the steel to make brakets to store my steel stock on the wall instead of the floor where it was getting wet. The bed frame is about 1/8" thick and I used 1/4" steel rod as well.

Here they finished in gray primer.

Milermatic 211

Re: Small project: steel brackets

looks good - how did you fasten them to the studs?
    Weld well; grind less.

Thanks. I drilled 2 holes in each bracket and screwed each bracket a stud with two fat, short wood screws from my random assortment of odd screws. Using old, mismatched screws made for a truly free project (except for my time and consumables, of course)
    Milermatic 211

Nice little organizer, but I think lag bolts are in order. The first one in the picture almost looks like it is coming out at the top. You have room to put quite a bit of weigh up there.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    Nice little organizer, but I think lag bolts are in order. The first one in the picture almost looks like it is coming out at the top. You have room to put quite a bit of weigh up there.
    So that's a valid concern. I wondered about this myself. Ultimately I decided that the weight would be pulling directly down on the screws instead of pulling out. The screws are fairly thick (about 3/16") although short (about 1.25"). I figured that this would prevent the heads from shearing off due to the downward pull.

Anyhow, I'm not an engineer so my thinking may be off here. I don't want a bunch of steel stocking falling on my wife's truck. I should probably calculate the weight load on the 6 screws.
    Milermatic 211

Very creative. Simple, useful, and cheap. How ya gonna beat that?

(Retired) Professional firefighter, amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: Go Big Red! (You know: one of the 12 members of the Big 10 cuz we left the 10 members of the Big 12...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
    So that's a valid concern. I wondered about this myself. Ultimately I decided that the weight would be pulling directly down on the screws instead of pulling out. The screws are fairly thick (about 3/16") although short (about 1.25"). I figured that this would prevent the heads from shearing off due to the downward pull.

Anyhow, I'm not an engineer so my thinking may be off here. I don't want a bunch of steel stocking falling on my wife's truck. I should probably calculate the weight load on the 6 screws.
    There will definately be some pulling out on the top screw. In any case a 3/16 is about a #12 scew and the shear would be somewhere 400 - 600lb per screw not counting pull out of the wood which would be less. I would just switch to 5/16 x 1-3/4 lag bolts with washers and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
    A neighbor was kind enough to give me a steel bed frame to practice welding on. I used the steel to make brakets to store my steel stock on the wall instead of the floor where it was getting wet. The bed frame is about 1/8" thick and I used 1/4" steel rod as well.

Here they finished in gray primer.

I was just thinkin perhaps use some more of that angle to wrap around the side of the studs may help also.
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Quote Originally Posted by dumb as a stump View Post
    I was just thinkin perhaps use some more of that angle to wrap around the side of the studs may help also.
    That's a good idea! That'd be a fun and quick improvement.
    Milermatic 211

for lags going into the edge of a 2x4, I would pilot hole slightly smaller than the lag. If not you stand a good chance of splitting the stud and loosing its use.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    for lags going into the edge of a 2x4, I would pilot hole slightly smaller than the lag. If not you stand a good chance of splitting the stud and loosing its use.
    Agreed. I don't want to ruin the studs.

Probably what I'll do that this point is stick with the 'free' spirit of the project and weld on 2 angle tabs onto each bracket. Then I can put two screws in to the broad side of each stud and that will resist them pulling away from the face of the wood.

I'll post pics after the modification is complete. My welding cart is coming along nicely and I will post a new thread for that once that's done.
    Milermatic 211

Nice work. I like. lol x5 on the lag bolts and the pre drilling.