Powermax 30XP or Powermax 45? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Powermax 30XP or Powermax 45?

Plus, cranking it down might make your consumables last longer.....When enuff is perfect, too much ain't better

I haven't yet invested in a plasma table, but so far it looks like there is software out there that considers both your plasma cutter model and then adjust cut speed to type materials and thickness in effort to prolong consumable life and offer best cut quality....I guess in basic form, you still need to tweek amperages with most plasma cutters as suggested by software, even lower end Hypertherms like the 45.

Cut speeds, Pierce height, pierce delay, cut height and arc voltage are all clearly specified (on the Hypertherm plasma systems of 45 amps and above) in detailed cut charts in the operators manuals....specifically for mechanized cutting. If your cnc machine software has the ability to store these settings for different types and thicknesses of materials, then you can automate a lot of the required settings. The Powermax65, 85, 105 and 125 systems also have optional Serial communication that works with CNC machines that have the ability to use this link, allowing auto setting of air pressure and amperage as well.

With plasma cutting.....a 45 amp nozzle produces its most efficient energy density at the rated 45 amps. Higher amperage will create shorter nozzle orifice life, lower amperage will produce a "softer" arc that likely will create worse cut edge angularity and dross. It is ok to reduce the amperage below the rated nozzle amperage. It is best to operate a 45 amp nozzle at 45 amps...and meet the height and speed requirements published in the operators manual......this will provide the best quality, the least amount of dross and a smaller heat affected zone.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutoldwelder View Post
    Plus, cranking it down might make your consumables last longer.....When enuff is perfect, too much ain't better

I haven't yet invested in a plasma table, but so far it looks like there is software out there that considers both your plasma cutter model and then adjust cut speed to type materials and thickness in effort to prolong consumable life and offer best cut quality....I guess in basic form, you still need to tweek amperages with most plasma cutters as suggested by software, even lower end Hypertherms like the 45.

Jim,

So I assume, from your post, that using the 30 amp consumables (as allowed by the 45) would give the finer cut quality when cutting thinner materials (at lower amps, of course), or would it pretty much give the same cut quality as the 45 consumables @ lower amps and just save cfm requirements?

The 30 amp consumables (as listed in the operators manual) will provide slower cut speeds (which many cnc machines will perform better at), a slightly narrower kerf, and slightly less angularity on thinner materials as compared to the 45amp shielded consumables. Nozzle life with the 30 amp parts will be shorter than the 45 amp shielded parts....this due to the shield technology as well as the patented conical flow technology that the 45 amps shielded parts offer.

So, on thin material a narrower kerf and slower speeds, at the expense of shorter nozzle life will be the result of using the 30 amp consumables. And yes, a slightly lower air flow as well...

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by tak1313 View Post
    Jim,

So I assume, from your post, that using the 30 amp consumables (as allowed by the 45) would give the finer cut quality when cutting thinner materials (at lower amps, of course), or would it pretty much give the same cut quality as the 45 consumables @ lower amps and just save cfm requirements?