Best Pulse Mig for Thin Sheet Metal - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Best Pulse Mig for Thin Sheet Metal

Quote Originally Posted by sn0border88 View Post
    I think you've been drinking too much of the pulse MIG koolaid thats been going around lately. (snip)

Matt- I have been under the impression that STT was developed for open-root pipe, i've never heard of it really being touted in any other areas. What were you referring too?
    Hi Sn0, the first STT boxes in my area were in SAE operations and a few of the heavy sheet metal shops. I'm more familiar with the off road SAE stuff.

They were semi-auto mig-ing, using large wire and Co2 on mild, low alloy and galvanized steel. The biggest reason these people do things is cost of weld (maybe the only reason they do things). As far as I know the truck/trailer folks that went to STT (and some to Miller RMD) are still using it (except for Case).

The Lincoln reps also looked up all the people with cladding operations, when I talked to them back then they were still working on getting pipe and structural approvals. They claimed to me at that time STT could both lower cost and produce better chemistry and mechanicals than cold wire TIG for cladding. I was impressed but no sale... It was expensive and didn't have high end power (this was before they added STT to the power waves).

As for "why" lincoln and miller worked this out and built spatterless Co2? I don't know but, I'm pretty sure they were following Panasonic who showed up with it in the early 90s' and placed a ton of machines in factory automation.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky#1 View Post
    I beg to differ,have you used an XMT or Multimaster to make statements like that ?
    Yes, that is why I made my statements. I was not terribly impressed with the arc characteristics of the XMT with wirefeed or TIG mode. Ive also spent quite a bit of time with an axcess 450 and a 350P, both are far superior to any XMT/shopmaster ive ever used.

Now that I think about it I have heard that STT can do some nice things with CO2, ill have to try it sometime.
    Have we all gone mad?

here i have found a guide for pulse mig you can check it
    https://mechanicalgiants.com/best-pulse-mig-welder

i think it can help you

Quote Originally Posted by albert adrian View Post
    here i have found a guide for pulse mig you can check it
    https://mechanicalgiants.com/best-pulse-mig-welder

i think it can help you
    I didn't think that article was all that great. The author keeps digressing back-and-forth into too many different things, and never really describes anything in detail. Plus, I'd put up my HTP ProPulse 300 against their "top picks" any day.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Oscar, why are you feeding the trolls? This was this guys first and only post and it was in response to an eight year old zombie thread...he's got to be a bot. I refused to click on the link assuming it was some kind of phishing attack.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

my bad, didn't see the date there, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet, lol.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

You don't need any pulse at 14 to 18. 22 or so is where that comes in and that's mostly crappy new vehicles.
    I pulsed this 18 for giggles with my old MM200 and CO2. I hadn't run the pulse on that critter in years
    Name:  P4111676.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  40.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    You don't need any pulse at 14 to 18. 22 or so is where that comes in and that's mostly crappy new vehicles.
    I pulsed this 18 for giggles with my old MM200 and CO2. I hadn't run the pulse on that critter in years
    Name:  P4111676.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  40.5 KB
    nice.

I may be doing that in my jeep someday....

I'm afraid to lift the carpet and look...

I got enough chit to do...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Thx. Thats the main reason I bought my bead roller is for fixing floors. Lots of work for that here....especially down by the oceans

my neighbor has a linde 160 and it rolls around on the floor so its not portable, its made for body shops, first time we used it i said hey arent u going to turn it on he said it is!!!! i said its not making any noise he said no but watch this it makes sparks!!!! it stitches nice, well he is a retired heavy frame mechanic and im sure has done tons of welding so probably more him than machine but its the coolest thing to see it weld w/out making noise he said they made it fan less so it doesn't stir up dust in the shop.
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

That article is a blatant attempt to advertise Everlast welders, lol

Older pulse MIGs have their place.... my XMT and pulse pendant make a LOVELY job on aluminium, nicer and more controllable than straight CV. It also works well on steel... but it's a lot easier to get lack-of-fusion with it if you don't set it just right. So in most cases it actually makes more sense to short-arc or spray on steel.

The newer ones with updated, better programs are pretty sweet... I have been trying out a Lorch Speedarc process on steel and it's very easy to set, and looks and feels like a good hot weld. Didn't do any cut&etch to check penetration, though.