Hobart Champion 10000
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hobart Champion 10000

I am repairing a Hobart Champion 10000 welder/generator – serial # LH380432Y
    The machine was involved in a fire and the plastic parts and wiring were melted. There is no sign of damage to the generator/welder bryond the firewall.

I have replaced the necessary parts to start the engine and it runs well. My next step is to verify that the generator and welder work prior to investing more money into the machine.

I have not been able to get electricity from the generator as of this posting. I have plenty of experience with engines but could use some help on the welder/generator aspect.

Thanks

Re: Hobart Champion 10000

If you don't have the manual to trace out and follow the unit wiring, go here http://www.hobartwelders.com/service/owners-manuals/ to download a copy.

Which engine?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Kohler CH-20 engine – serial# 3714300741, Specification# 64635

My guess would be if it got that hot there is a high probability that the Field Control board PC1 got toasted along with all those wires and plastic parts seeing as it's mounted directly behind the face plate.

There are several functions the Field Control board performs but first to get things started it directs 12vdc battery voltage to the generator rotor brushes for initial field excitation.
    With engine running (oil pressure switch closed) and at high idle weld speed, check for:
    1) 12vdc voltage at PC1 plug PLG5, pin 5 (wire #20) and PLG9, pin 1 (wire #33).
    2) Then, 12vdc at the rotor brushes wire #21(+) and #26(-). If no battery voltage at the brushes, it's likely PC1 was damaged from the fire heat.
    3) If battery voltage at the brushes, check for ac voltage at bridge rectifier SR2 ac terminals (wires #22 & 29).
    4) If 3) proves out, check for dc voltage at bridge rectifier wires #21(+) & 33(-) and PC1 PLG9, pin 1(-) and PLG6, pin 6(+). If no dc voltage, bridge rectifier SR2 is likely failed. If dc voltage at the above locations then again, PC1 was likely damaged.

Now, if PC1 is suspect as a result of failing the above tests, disconnect all PC1 plugs and apply 12vdc to PLG5, pin 3(+) and pin 6(-) and recheck steps 3) and 4) above to see if the generator is producing exciter output and the auxiliary power AC outlets for low ac voltage and weld output posts for low DC weld output. This will confirm there's weld/generator output.

There's things to do to by-pass the Field Control board to do a full weld/generator output test but check out the above and you can go from there.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Duane, thanks for all of your info. At this time it is all greek to me. I have checked the Hobart website and they do not offer a service manual. I am checking other avenues for a manual. When I get one I think it will all made more sense to me.

There doesn't appear to be any damage to the components on the welder/generator end of the unit due to the exposure to the fire was at the engine end. I'm in the process of digging deeper into the unit and doing some additional cleaning to brushes and such.

It is really nice to have someone so knowledgable as yourself in my corner. Thanks again for your help.

Duane or anyone, Duane has given me some good tips but it is all greek to me. I have contacted Hobart and their response was, "Our service manuals are only released to our authorized service centers and are not available for download or purchase."

Is there some generic reference manual that will help me understand the advice Duane and others are providing me. I need to learn the terminology dealing with the generator/welder aspect of my Hobart Champion 10,000. I'm a engine guy!

Where are you located?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Commerce, TX, Dallas is the closest large city.

Duane looking at the wiring schematic I am able to locate all the points you have directed me to. However, when you speak of testing for 12vdc voltage at PC1 plug PLG5, pin 5 (wire #20) and PLG9, pin 1 (wire #33).
    Are you saying there is voltage from the battery through wire #20 through the PC1 to wire #33 to SR2 (what is the SR2) and this battery voltage is used for excitation?

Also following wire 20 back I noticed there is a symbol with D8 between the red wire #3 feeding the oil pressure switch and the blue wire #5 coming from the starter, what is D8?

You seem to have a great wealth of knowlege and I'm glad your on my team. Thanks again for your patience and help.

Rush,

As a long time electronics technician, I can almost assure you that the symbol and D8 refer to diode 8. Diode and rectifier are interchangeable terms. If the symbol looks like an arrowhead with the point against a vertical line, that's a diode symbol on a schematic.

I'm just north of Dallas, if you were a bit closer, I'd offer to come assist.

Greg

Papa,

If you are interested, I have the schematic for the welder on my laptop, maybe we could meet and I could let you fill in the peaces for me. I have been studying the schematic and I am starting to grasp it but additional help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rushingg149 View Post
    Duane looking at the wiring schematic I am able to locate all the points you have directed me to. However, when you speak of testing for 12vdc voltage at PC1 plug PLG5, pin 5 (wire #20) and PLG9, pin 1 (wire #33).
    Are you saying there is voltage from the battery through wire #20 through the PC1 to wire #33 to SR2 (what is the SR2) and this battery voltage is used for excitation?

Also following wire 20 back I noticed there is a symbol with D8 between the red wire #3 feeding the oil pressure switch and the blue wire #5 coming from the starter, what is D8?

You seem to have a great wealth of knowlege and I'm glad your on my team. Thanks again for your patience and help.
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

12VDC battery voltage should be at wires #20(+) and #33(-). Circuit #33 is the common battery/chassis ground on the unit. PC1 requires this battery (+) voltage and ground in order to flash the generator rotor (field) to start producing power. Once this happens, low AC voltage (~50v) output on stator wires #28 & 29 feeds thru bridge rectifier (4 diodes) SR2 being rectified to DC which feeds to PC1 where it is controlled to regulate weld/generator output based on the position of Fine Current control potentiometer R1.

papaharley03 is correct in his description of diode D8 which supplies 12V(+) to the fuel shut-off solenoid while cranking so the engine will have fuel to start. Upon starting the engine oil pressure switch closes from oil pressure and battery 12V(+) power is then supplied to the fuel shut-off solenoid thru the OPS. As long as there's oil pressure the engine will continue to run.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Thanks Duane, your input is always helpful.

Duane,

What do I need to check if I don't have 12vdc at on wires 20 and 33?

If anyone needs to send their boards in for repair i found this website and they seem to be the cheapest. They will charge $170.00 to diagnose and repair a 203655 circuit board. Just FYI.

http://www.yorkelectronics.com