25K torch mount linear amperage control on my PowerTIG 250EX. Any issues?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

25K torch mount linear amperage control on my PowerTIG 250EX. Any issues?

I've read that people use the 10K controls on these. What's the issues I will likely have with the 25k?

Anyone tried this?

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Re: 25K torch mount linear amperage control on my PowerTIG 250EX. Any issues?

They do, but you loose a few amps on the top end, around 15-20A on models currently in production.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Is there any plans to produce a linear torch mount controller that is correct for this? Could I buy a linear one and just solder it in place if the 25k?

So.......any answer here? I'd really like a linear setup. Looks like the next welder for portable work is gonna have to be a miller.

hmmm...having trouble posting tonight...can't even get a blank box to post in more than half the time.

In short: No. We aren't producing a linear slide. We are producing a rotary wheel, and CK provides a rotary "band" that can be operated that will work with the unit at 25K.
    I don't think their linear is 25k though...at least last time that's what I thought they said.

But, if you want a unit that will be compatible with multiple ohm pots, the 255EXT version will be able to handle what you throw at it as it is built into the design to handle multiple brand pots (as long as they have 5 wires). You should (or I guess I should say may) be able in the near future when the latest generation of the 250EX when it comes out in a few months. I'll have to research and see if it is to be built with the multiple ohm compatibility as well.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

The only issue is that both of those machines (and my current 250EX) need 220 1ph minimum.

I'm looking for something to use that's portable and can run on 110/220, 175-200 amps and can run a linear finger amp controller.

The miller does all that, but it's retardedly expensive.

So here's my other question though...

Can you recommend a minimum clean wattage generator size to run a 250EX on? If I can make a linear controller work with this welder I might get a genny and build a small on site weld trailer, keep this welder on there and upgrade to the 315 for my shop.

Lugweld...any idea on a generator minimum?

You should look at the 210ext. It'll do almost everything the 255ext will, but will line up with your generator requirements. I'll go to the website and look up the requirements or figure them for each for you as soon as I get a chance tomorrow.

The 210 and the 255 are dual voltage 120/240V.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Find me a way to run a linear thumb control and I'll order a 210 next week.