Dont take off angle grinder gaurds!(beware of photo) - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Dont take off angle grinder gaurds!(beware of photo)

Quote Originally Posted by gwiley View Post
    That is one of the most important things to remember - watch the spark stream and only point it at things that can survive a hit.
    That's a bad place to be, but because of the way wheels fail, any trajectory not covered by the guard is about equally likely to be struck by a large wheel fragment, AND it is relatively easy for large fragments to get past the guard as well.
    Have a look at this:
    http://www.triodyne.com/SAFETY~1/SB_V11N3.PDF

my grinders never overheat at all, when running them extremely slow you can kinda hear/feel the gear backlash kicking back & forth a bit, but not enough to be any kind of problem really... this works so well for me that I would never want to use them without it

I believe these pedals are electronic, not just a simple rheostat to lower the voltage, I think there output may be PWM so they aren't going to hurt the motor there driving if that's the case, I don't think they just reduce voltage but I'm not 100% sure either, no problems at all using them though... a router speed control should do the same thing really & in some ways may even be better because with the pedal you can still get a little wild if you inadvertently stomp on it all the way, dialing in a fixed speed sounds like a great idea too...
    miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
    Using any piece of equipment.......... It's YOUR responsiblity to ensure guards & safety equipment is installed & working properly, not your instructor's. This accident is actually your fault, as the guard wasn't in place. My apologies to sounding harsh, but I've seen too many accidents like this because someone removed the guards/safety equipment, the person using the equipment didn't know how to operate the equipment properly with said guard/safety equipment in place.

Just be glad it didn't take your hand clean off. This was a wake up call/learning exercise for you.

Good luck with the recovery time.
    No truer words have been spoken.

I am the only one who welds at the construction maintance yard I run. Even though I still do a prework inspection on all of my equipment prior to use. Even if a set of grinders has the guard on it is a good idea to double check to make sure it is on tight and on in the proper position.

When I used to train others how to operate motorcycles I used a popular saying "You dress for the fall, not the ride" The same goes for any work environment, you dress for the injury not comfort. I probably use nitrile gloves more than anyone I know, but never when working metal. I use a retired set of welding gloves (as long as they are not punctured) with a kevlar knit glove underneath. Leather apron, steel toe boots, full sleeve shirt (I prefer the cotton fire resistant ones in the summer and leather in the winter).

A new add on is a skull cape. I used to only use a welder's hat. One day when Miging a odd angle the Tweco popped loose. Instantly the arc went bad and started popping on me some of the slag went into my ear, bad bad day. Now I use the cape and have my ears covered.

Also If you are arc welding or using flux core make sure you are well ventilated or are using a respirator. If seems that the fumes can cause Parkinson's disease.

Remember, its YOUR body and only YOU can take care of it.

BTW: Just stumbled on this forum and have to say so far I love it. Its nice to not only see an open welding forum (not tied to a manufacturer) but one that has a safety section (in the lot I am know as the safety nazi (they don't think I know about that nickname, but I do).

Quote Originally Posted by martinhowe View Post
    Blackwolf: you ought to video tape that crash course you give and throw it up on youtube. Seen too many guys doing stupid things...
    I thank you for the kind thought... But I don't know if ANYONE would want to sit and listen to me growl and snarl at them for an hour and a half.

At work, I have a captive audience - They don't have a choice. lol
    Later,
    Jason

Dang I hate grinder cuts. They are a double edge sword.Cut and burn at the same time

I got 5 stitches because of no guard, but still run none. I know better but you cant get a grinder where it needs to go with a guard on it.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

[QUOTE=TozziWelding;495778]I got 5 stitches because of no guard, but still run none. I know better but you cant get a grinder where it needs to go with a guard on it.[/Q]

It's your choice really, but I think I would rather keep mine on now.

There is some amazing stuff available online called IGF-1. Insulin-like Growth Factor-1. It's the part of Human Growth Hormone's peptide structure responsible for most hard & soft tissue growth and regeneration. I've accidentally hacked fingers off before and promptly reattached them with shots on either end of the stumps with IGF-1. Nerves, bone and soft tissue all regrow VERY quickly with it. It's expensive stuff but it's worth waaay more than you'll pay if ever you need it. For instance in cases like this.

Cleanse the wound while you're in shock if you can (that's the best time to take care of business) and prep some shots and do it.

Short of having to seek out a doctor for life threatening issues, this is the best option you have. We don't even use it in pharmacy yet as it's still that cutting edge but I'll tell you what man, it's a body saver, better than anything else yet clinically accepted.

Check the research, there's plenty of it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Misant777 View Post
    There is some amazing stuff available online called IGF-1. Insulin-like Growth Factor-1. It's the part of Human Growth Hormone's peptide structure responsible for most hard & soft tissue growth and regeneration. I've accidentally hacked fingers off before and promptly reattached them with shots on either end of the stumps with IGF-1. Nerves, bone and soft tissue all regrow VERY quickly with it. It's expensive stuff but it's worth waaay more than you'll pay if ever you need it. For instance in cases like this.

Cleanse the wound while you're in shock if you can (that's the best time to take care of business) and prep some shots and do it.

Short of having to seek out a doctor for life threatening issues, this is the best option you have. We don't even use it in pharmacy yet as it's still that cutting edge but I'll tell you what man, it's a body saver, better than anything else yet clinically accepted.

I take it this is a joke? Report.

[QUOTE=TozziWelding;495778. . .you cant get a grinder where it needs to go with a guard on it.[/QUOTE]

Then use something other than an angle grinder. I hear die grinders are great things. . .
    Maybe you should try a belt file. HF now sells those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Misant777 View Post

WTF? So when I lop off a leg I can just use this stuff to grow a new one?
    You get what you put in and people get what they deserve...

no man, it will not grow a new one, but it can glue the old one back on & make it fine again????

ok, yeah, wtf???
    miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Then use something other than an angle grinder. I hear die grinders are great things. . .
    Maybe you should try a belt file. HF now sells those too.

I have a Milwaukee on the die grinder, and bandfile. 4" grinder still wins, when you are hanging off a building with just your welding bucket.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

And for the love of common sense, don't change disks with the grinder plugged in.

One of the mills we do work for has banned the use of zipcuts because some monkey zipcut his fingers off changing disks with their grinder plugged in!

It doesn't even take 5 seconds to unplug and re-plug a grinder in.
    Last edited by mb_welder; 04-11-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mb_welder View Post
    And for the love of common sense, don't change disks with the grinder plugged in.

One of the mills we do work for has banned the use of zipcuts because some monkey zipcut his fingers off changing disks with their grinder plugged in!

It doesn't even take 5 seconds to unplug and re-plug a grinder in.
    I does sound like common sense - I think it is more often a factor of long workday, sore back, tight deadline.

It is surprising how short the shortcuts folks often take are. Tired, not wanting to bend over and yank the cord out…just one second….OUCH!
    Hobart LX235
    Victor 250 Oxy-Acetylene Rig (welding and cutting)
    Bobcat 773
    F-350, 1999, 4x4, 16' 10K# trailer
    Outdoor Wood Burner - 10 cords/year

guards are for sissys glad your ok but they get in my way thats why you take a firm grip on the grinder and know which way it will go if it does kick and just hold it so it wont kick at you been doing this 20 yrs and never had an incident not saying it would never happen but cant be scarred all your life
    Lincoln Pro Core 125
    Lincolin sp 100
    Miller Big 40
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    miller matic 212
    http://www.facebook.com/hdwelding?sk=wall
    www.hdweldingbeds.com

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    I got 5 stitches because of no guard, but still run none. I know better but you cant get a grinder where it needs to go with a guard on it.
    get a die grinder. Or is thinking you're a badass worth more than that? Glad you appear to work for yourself. Guys like you KILL the workmans comp rating for my contractors - who cant even bet on some jobs if they are above the national average. The national average is artificially low because so many people are fraudulent.
    Weldanpower 225 G7
    Ironworkers Local #24

Quote Originally Posted by tenpins View Post
    get a die grinder. Or is thinking you're a badass worth more than that? Glad you appear to work for yourself. Guys like you KILL the workmans comp rating for my contractors - who cant even bet on some jobs if they are above the national average. The national average is artificially low because so many people are fraudulent.

no we are not bad asses but if you cant get a grinder in there probly cant get a die grinder there either and most air die grinders dont have enough power to get the job done and like i was saying the electric ones might have the power but still to big to get in there so think what you will the only reason we are in business for our selves is we know how to get the job done and there is a thing as being safe and then too safe.
    Lincoln Pro Core 125
    Lincolin sp 100
    Miller Big 40
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    miller matic 212
    www.hdweldingbeds.com

Guards are good but last I looked they only cover have the diameter of the wheel plus bottom is still open. Common sense and knowing how to use tools goes farther than guards. For the ops instructor not to teach proper use and safety is silly. Any hs shop class has to understand safty for all machines before ever using them. I have 2 4 in grinders 1 witha guard 1 without. 1 without is put away for select use by me only.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    Guards are good but last I looked they only cover have the diameter of the wheel plus bottom is still open. Common sense and knowing how to use tools goes farther than guards. For the ops instructor not to teach proper use and safety is silly. Any hs shop class has to understand safty for all machines before ever using them. I have 2 4 in grinders 1 witha guard 1 without. 1 without is put away for select use by me only.
    I totaly agree you hit the nail on the head with that
    Lincoln Pro Core 125
    Lincolin sp 100
    Miller Big 40
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    miller matic 212
    www.hdweldingbeds.com

Another point. If two hands are on the grinder you dont tear up your hand. Even Im not dumb enough to hold work piece while running cup brush.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by smilexelectric View Post
    They never taught us how to use the grinders. Everyone just kind of picked one up and started using it. My teacher feels bad but I told him don't worry it's not your fault. It happens and it happened for a reason, luckily I have a chance to learn from it.
    Smile...,I imagine no one has "never taught you how to" fly airplanes?? If you see one, are you going to jump in and take off?? Did you just start driving an automobile, or did some one teach you....Point made.....Stuff you do not know how to operate, don't operate. If that happened to you in welding class, and the fact you blame all things but yourself, you will never survive the welding trade. I suggest a career goal change. Maybe computers. Hard to injure your self there and all screw ups are blamed on software, not you. I doubt a guard would have prevented injury, lessened maybe.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

OK Guys,,,

My 2 cents....Machine guards are a good thing but view them for there worth. Guards are there to prevent injury and minimize imposed damage in the case of failure, etc...disc exposure, retaining ap. failure, etc.....Not to compensate for ignorance or stupidity., .

I was employed at a facility that had a nice hyd press brake. At some point, a production worker entered the shop, attempting to fix his mower part or something and managed to crush a few fingers in said brake. The company's answer was to install light curtains, pressure pads and a two point contact trigger mech on said brake. This rendered the $150,000.00 piece of equipment useless. You can't guard out stupid. Education is the best guard.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Industrial accidents are just that accidents, however, many are avoidable some are not. In the shop I worked in we got a nice new five horsepower grinder with large wheels. Everyone loved this grinder because it really cut fast and had lots of power. The grinder was great for a month or so. One day the wheel explodes sending one of the guys to the hospital with sever injuries, parts of the wheel hit him in the face. The guards contained most of the wheel but not all. Turns out that when the vendor wired the new grinder, hard wired to the wall, he did not set the wiring in the motor to the correct voltage and the wheel was spinning at double the recommended maximum speed. The injured guy never returned to work after his injuries. Needless to say every grinder in the building was checked for wheel speed after the accident. Grinders, no matter the size, need to be respected for the injuries they can cause.

I guess I'll voice the unpopular opinion here...

...You're not supposed to grind on your hand, dummy.