110 Amp Welder Item#94164 Please Help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

110 Amp Welder Item#94164 Please Help

Good evening to all, I have been using my particular welder as a MIG with 75/25 Argon/Carbon Dioxide shielding gas and a 12 ft long 8/3 chord. It has been working great, I am just a beginner but I have been very happy with it.

As I was welding up the joints on my Mustangs shock towers when it out of nowhere stopped working. I get absolutely no response when depressing the trigger, the wire doesn't feed nor does it create an arc.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

If there is no fix, I did purchase the two year warranty, do I just show up with the welder without the chord and they give me a new one?

Any help is appreciated, thank you all in advance.

Re: 110 Amp Welder Item#94164 Please Help

in my experience with HF they will just give you a new one
    Miller Xmt 350
    Lincoln Ln-25
    Ahp 200x
    Smith Gas Mixer AR/H
    Tig is my Kung Fu
    Throwing down dimes and weaving about
    Instagram http://instagram.com/weldor_wes
    WeldorWes@WcWeldingLLC.com

Did you reach the duty cycle? Did you let it rest for a while then try again?

You probably tripped the breaker in your electrical panel if it didn't just shut down like T-bird mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingWookie View Post
    in my experience with HF they will just give you a new one
    Thank you, not a big fan of returning items but that's what the warranty is for, I think. LoK

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Did you reach the duty cycle? Did you let it rest for a while then try again?
    I might have, I never weld more than 15 seconds at a time but could very easily ignored the fact that it needed time to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Fab View Post
    You probably tripped the breaker in your electrical panel if it didn't just shut down like T-bird mentioned.
    When I flip the switch to on it lights up but I checked the breaker panel anyways and none have been tripped. Thank you for the suggestion, good to rule out the easy stuff that gets overlooked sometimes.

So, I woke up extra early today due to not being to sleep hoping it would some how magically start working again. I plugged it all up, the fan kicks on, the power switch lights up I played around with different amperage settings and nothing. I dropped the wire feed rate from 8 to 2 and played around with the trigger for a bit, it sputtered about 3 seconds worth of wire and just stopped working again.

It's probably just a poor connection, but seeing as it's new, send it back. Cross your fingers and hope tht they offer quick replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Fab View Post
    It's probably just a poor connection, but seeing as it's new, send it back. Cross your fingers and hope tht they offer quick replacement.
    I ended up calling HF and they said that I have a two year replacement warranty. He stated that they did not have any 110amp welders in stock but that he can upgrade me to the 120 for 60 bucks.

Is the 120 really worth another 60 dollars?

I am going to fiddle around under the cover see if I don't find any loose wires and test it this evening before I make up my mind or see if it doesn't start working again.

Thanks again everyone

As far as I know the 110A & 120A are the same unit essentially. They are just designed to run on slightly different voltages. There are no actual differences as far as performance or usage. Not worth $60. In fact, he should just give you the 120A model to replace your 110A model for no charge. Or offer you a refurbished one at least...
    Chicago Electric 131 Dual MIG Welder 120V
    http://www.gr8lakeinnovations.com
    2x Associates of Automotive Technology: Transmission Technician & Under Car Technician
    Associates of Electrical Engineering Technology

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. The gentlemen I spoke to just a bit ago called me back and said he can have my exact replacement by 16:00 PST.

That works for me