Digital display problem on Lincoln V160-T
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

I fired up my welder yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks, and I noticed the digital display reads zero no matter where the dial is set. Turning the dial still seems to properly change the amperage output, but I cannot see what it's set to until I strike an arc. While welding, the display reads correctly.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix, as I'd really like it to be reading properly. The welder is about 5 years old, so it's out of warranty.

Anybody have any insight on what the problem could be? Any suggestions of things to check?

"There are two types of people in America - those who try to classify everyone into two types and those who don't."

This same thing has happened to a few of the millers (non inverters) at work. Exact same symptoms. We just continue to use them. It's annoying to some but I really don't care what the digital readout tells me for amperage. If I need more heat, I turn the machine up, less heat I turn the machine down.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Re: Digital display problem on Lincoln V160-T

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    This same thing has happened to a few of the millers (non inverters) at work. Exact same symptoms. We just continue to use them. It's annoying to some but I really don't care what the digital readout tells me for amperage. If I need more heat, I turn the machine up, less heat I turn the machine down.
    Worst case scenario, this is exactly what I'll do.

But if I can fix it without too much cost or trouble, then I'm very much interested in doing so.
    "There are two types of people in America - those who try to classify everyone into two types and those who don't."

A call to Lincoln tech support may be a good idea.
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

somewhere on the display pcb is an electronic switch that selects between preset and welder output.
    it or its control circuit has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    somewhere on the display pcb is an electronic switch that selects between preset and welder output.
    it or its control circuit has failed.
    So a new display board would solve the problem, right?

Where can a display board be purchased?

Call lincoln tech support and tell them what is going on. See if they have any other ideas.
    Have your serial number and code number ready. they will need it to get you the correct part number.
    Then you can buy from any online welder supply or local welding supply store that has a lincoln sign out front. 1-888-935-3877

I spoke with two different Lincoln techs and didn't get very far with either.

One suggested the ribbon cable from the display board may have come loose. And our call ended before we got any further.

The tech today suggested I replace the display board. He said he wasn't very confident it would fix the problem because display boards rarely go bad, but it's "a good start for only $438".

No offense to these guys, but they don't sound any more tech savy than a random Joe who has recently read through a service manual. I'm surprised to not find any information online about this issue, and also surprised that two different Lincoln techs are unfamiliar with the problem. I'm starting to feel far less confident that this is an easy fix.

The small Invertecs are made for Lincoln in Italy. They may not even have component-level circuit diagrams for them. Simply unplugging cables and plugging them back in will often cure a bad connection caused by oxidation. Worth a try IMHO.
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

I decided to just replace it. I was originally going to go with a V205T, but I think I'm going to go Blue this time around. I've been wanting a welder with AC for a while anyway, so this is just another excuse that I need to justify the purchase.

Anyone know of any killer deals on a Dynasty 200, 210, or 280?

Replace it? It still welds ok but just has no digital amp read out. I'd still be using it myself. Are you selling it cheap?
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

I am still using it. But I'm still interested in upgrading, and I'm currently financially able. Seems like a good time to do so given the circumstances.